PDA

View Full Version : Editorial: War for Visual Computing: Why AMD Could Have the Best Chance

RobertoOrtiz
04-18-2008, 04:16 PM
With the overwhelming control of the market that NVIDIA and Intel have on the graphics market it seem that AMD is on the ropes. PC Perspective is running an article on why this perception might be premature.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=547

lebada
04-20-2008, 02:34 AM
well i dont think AMD is lost but its certainly gone downhill and i doubt theyre gonna come out with something amazing within a year or two that'l blow everyone away.

Nvidia with the purchase of the physix card as well will beef up that tech even more and thats for now now, not 3 years down the road.

intel's still a ways form getting a VERY good gpu done (i doubt their first will blow nvidia out)

and amd might be the quiet under dog but their cpu-gpu combo they were talking about..hybridization in a way...i have mixed feelings about. in gaming it might be good...in actual cg work i have no idea...maybe i just like knowing stuff is DEDICATED to something instead of going back and forth to compensate for use levels.

Szos
04-21-2008, 03:59 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that Intel has the technology and money to get into the graphics chip business (and not just the low-end stuff that they are into now)... BUT as a large corporation, I don't know if they have the follow-through to really get into the high-end 3D business and fight it out with Nvidia (and ATi). Many, many times if a division can't hold it's own in terms of quick profits, a big company will just pull the plug.

Going back to AMD, I think that anyone that has counted them out could be in for a rude awakening. AMD is most definitely down right now - and I put a lot of that blame on the costs assosiated with absorbing ATi - but if they can get their stuff together again, they could give Intel a run for their money.

cresshead
04-21-2008, 07:28 PM
i think buying ati was a less than stellar desicion...they'll be bruised for quite some time
AMD may come back in 2009 or 2010...but they'll need to LEAD intel in performance by some margin to get people to go AMD from being intel adopters.

P_T
04-21-2008, 07:54 PM
...but they'll need to LEAD intel in performance by some margin to get people to go AMD from being intel adopters.Or cheaper price for a comparable performance like they had during the Athlon time a few years ago.

CGTalk Moderation
04-21-2008, 07:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.