04-18-2008, 12:04 PM
http://www.tobiasdeml.com/blog/?p=49

ice is cooool...:cool:

Hirazi
04-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah, the "hoodie" seems more appropriate now than ever...:argh:

mlmiller1983
04-18-2008, 01:48 PM
I was at the event last night and yes ICE was simply incredible.

liquidik
04-18-2008, 02:25 PM
any words about WHEN this thing is going to happen ?

Gian

mlmiller1983
04-18-2008, 02:45 PM
any words about WHEN this thing is going to happen ?

Gian

No, Mark Schoennagel did not give any time frame for a release date. Judging from the demos shown of ICE it looks like it coming along very nicely.

benytone
04-18-2008, 03:13 PM
sorry, but possibly one of the most childish reports I've ever seen

Mechis
04-18-2008, 05:33 PM
sorry, but possibly one of the most childish reports I've ever seen

Are you kidding? That was a great report! What the heck were you hoping for?
~Mechis

benytone
04-18-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm just curious, what's the point of this report? Simpsons vs Startrek?
And for all the Cinema 4D lovers, for all those who love my C4D images, please, please, beat me up. I really do love Cinema, but XSI is stunning

liquidik
04-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Guys, as usual, we're all waiting for that super ICE/Moondust to be relased.

Maybe softimage you can just put a little "technology preview" video on you website to calm down everyone? ;)

Nothing too fancy, just something to pump up!

Gian

mocaw
04-18-2008, 08:13 PM
I have a feeling they're going to keep this under semi-wraps for as long as they can. Rumors are cheap, and they in themselves create a lot of user generated hype without exposing to much to competition OR using resources developing demo videos etc.

Plus it keeps them free of critiques (real and unfounded) until it's released.

I'd love to see more...but I can see why they keep their cards so close...

Kabab
04-19-2008, 02:41 AM
I have a feeling they're going to keep this under semi-wraps for as long as they can. Rumors are cheap, and they in themselves create a lot of user generated hype without exposing to much to competition OR using resources developing demo videos etc.

Plus it keeps them free of critiques (real and unfounded) until it's released.

I'd love to see more...but I can see why they keep their cards so close...
Its plainly obvious what they are doing similar systems have existed in other applications for years.

mocaw
04-19-2008, 03:16 AM
Its plainly obvious what they are doing similar systems have existed in other applications for years.

OK, true enough. I'm just praying it's houdini power with softimage style and usablility. Everything I've read so far points to that being a truth...so I guess "prayer" isn't needed!

As far as I can tell Houdini is one of the few major packages to have it this extensivly built into its overall opperation. I am however totally tolking out my rumor monger arse.

withanar
04-19-2008, 04:02 AM
The imagination is the greatest compiler around. It can work up amazing tools in milliseconds, and almost never crashes.

It is probably safe to say that XSI had a very low probability of becoming an effects powerhouse given the nature of their current particles and dynamics. It's not that you can't do potent things with them, because I have seen some nifty stuff, it's just the perception is it offers more resistance as a development platform for those things than the other major packages. If your 3D app is like a stock car, then all the custom RnD and SDK development is like mounting a nitrous oxide booster, and XSI simply hasn't had enough tinkerers in this area. Thus the main point of ICE, I think, is to make XSI more appealing to the TD community as an open development platform. Attract more nerds and good things will happen.

The real value of ICE as an effects and dynamic system may not be how well it makes sparkles, fire, smoke, and explosions. Rather, it's how well it exposes the components that can build such effects to the rest of the application. Other programs have been providing solutions for these issues in a way that draws high end productions out of XSI for those phases of production. Hopefully, with ICE the path of less resistance for the user base will be to actually *stay* in XSI. Eventually maybe even have folks from other apps feel a draw to export some of their shots into XSI for this kind of work because it offers less resistance towards achieving the desired result.

ICE will change how folks work in XSI, and that's all anyone has said. It doesn't mean XSI particles and effects will suddenly be the best in the industry. That kind of blossoming only happens after the advanced user based embraces a tool and then polishes and enhances it over many years. Thus, competitor products, such as Houdini, with a long history of advanced integrated effects simply have too much of a head start to realistically expect Softimage, or anyone else for that matter to catch up in a couple of development cycles. However, you have to start somewhere.

Here's to hoping it's a good start!

Cheers!

Stoehr
04-19-2008, 04:33 AM
Sounds good. Will Ice be part of XSI or separate, like FaceRobot?

Kabab
04-19-2008, 04:33 AM
Its going to be a really interesting Siggraph i recon...

My bet is Soft will release Ice/Moondust whatever they call it and Autodesk will release more of Nucleus...

A big win win for uses.

dwigfor
04-19-2008, 04:24 PM
They're up to Beta 3 of XSI Arlene..... Or at least, that's what was shown...

mocaw
04-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Sounds good. Will Ice be part of XSI or separate, like FaceRobot?

Maybe I'm off on this, but I'm fairly certain that a rep from soft on XSIbase said it was an integral part of the "next" XSI, and so some form(s) of it would come standard across all versions.

In other words, the thing is so deep that it really isn't a plugin as more a way of re-structuring and opening up how XSI works to the user at a very base level.

Again, this is not from my personal experience, but from what "facts" I've sifted out of the rumor mill thus far.

ViCoX
04-20-2008, 01:39 AM
yup!
I have heard that its core feature, so it would be logical that its integrated to all versions. : ) I`m really interested to see how ice&cat is going to play together : o

bravmm
04-21-2008, 08:09 PM
sifted out, rumour mill, heard that.....

Just wait and see what's going to happen.

Only the beta testers know what's going on atm.
Until Softimage comes with a proper press release and videos, take all the posts with a lot of salt. Even the reports from demos, as that's just a glimps of what the new tools will be, and are coloured by the reporters eye.

I'm pretty sure we're all going to be happy with the next release of XSI. But that's another question ;-)

rob

CGTalk Moderation
04-21-2008, 08:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.