PDA

View Full Version : finalRender Stage-1 Video; Instancing 7 billion poly trees

Michael-McCarthy
04-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Instancing a forest with finalRender Stage-1 R2

In this finalRender Stage-1 R2 training video, Michael McCarthy goes over creating a a forest with almost 7 billion polygons rendered with straight instances.

Click on the image below to watch the video

http://cebasusa.com/m_o_v_e_e/Trees/TreesVideo.jpg (http://cebasusa.com/m_o_v_e_e/Trees/trees.html)

Hope you guys find this interesting!

Thanks
Michael McCarthy
cebas USA

jonesthesteam
04-17-2008, 06:57 PM
nice video Mike - what was ram usage with the 5 billion?

Michael-McCarthy
04-17-2008, 07:04 PM
nice video Mike - what was ram usage with the 5 billion?
I believe it was about 400 megs. I originally rendered on my old 1.2 GHZ laptop with 2 gigs of ram too :D

PS: oh..and its 6.8 billion, but what's a few billion between friends!

Thanks
Michael McCarthy
cebas USA

TAVO
04-17-2008, 10:16 PM
that IS very interesting. :thumbsup:

FreakWizz
04-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Can it handle Animation offsets of instances?

A'la http://www.happy-digital.com/instance2.asp

Michael-McCarthy
04-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Can it handle Animation offsets of instances?

A'la http://www.happy-digital.com/instance2.asp

Yes for sure. Anything you can do with 3dsmax instances finalRender will render :). This is why we implemented it this way. So 3dsmax users (always coming up with new and cool stuff) can do what ever they like and not be inhibited by a strange proprietary system.

Thanks
Michael McCarthy
cebas USA

booboo4ever
04-18-2008, 12:41 AM
my company used final render for a previous project in maya.

now it seems that anytime anybody tries to open a scene we get errors about final render nodes, even though we have stopped using it. these are scenes that have nothing to do with final render.

how do we get rid of these errors? no matter how many time we try to clean things up the final render nodes always come back.

thanks for any help. since you guys are making videos about how to use it i am assuming you are probably pretty fluent in the software and might have an answer.

Michael-McCarthy
04-18-2008, 01:06 AM
my company used final render for a previous project in maya.

now it seems that anytime anybody tries to open a scene we get errors about final render nodes, even though we have stopped using it. these are scenes that have nothing to do with final render.

how do we get rid of these errors? no matter how many time we try to clean things up the final render nodes always come back.

thanks for any help. since you guys are making videos about how to use it i am assuming you are probably pretty fluent in the software and might have an answer.

Hello,

The only error you could get is when you have use finalRender in a scene and then are loading that scene in a copy of Maya without finalRender (this would happen with any plugin). If you have completely uninstalled then you should not get any errors at all. It looks like your uninstall was not complete for some reason. Please follow up with me on the cebas forums or give us a call in the US or EU office (all contact info is in your finalRender manual).

Thanks
Michael McCarthy
cebas USA

Buexe
04-18-2008, 07:55 AM
how do we get rid of these errors?
Open the scene without loading the plug-in,then type in the command line:
delete `ls -typ unknown`;
then save the scene, and Maya shouldn`t bother you anymore.

jonesthesteam
04-18-2008, 11:25 AM
so no need for a proxy system then? Reading between the lines you can instance an xref to keep the scene size down and all will rok - full animation - whooohoo :)

Rif
04-18-2008, 08:06 PM
http://www.cebasusa.com/TP3/BillionPolyCrowd.wmv

Can now render this in 35 sec a frame with 1 gig of ram usage ! :)

TRick
04-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Now if I could only find the Variation Texmap in FinalRender ?!?! It would make more sense then purchasing TP ;)

Michael-McCarthy
04-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Now if I could only find the Variation Texmap in FinalRender ?!?! It would make more sense then purchasing TP ;)

Hello TRick,

Variation Texmap will be in the next finalRender or finalShaders release :)

Thanks
Michael McCarthy
cebas USA

mortas may
04-19-2008, 01:08 AM
[QUOTE=Michael McCarthy]Hello TRick,

Variation Texmap will be in the next finalRender or finalShaders release :)

..and don't forget the mental ray like "production shaders" in your next finalShaders release too, then i'll be your next customer :O)

Rif
04-19-2008, 04:01 AM
i think tp is a must for the instancing control.. Its reallly clever the way its built with Fr .. How you want to switch rule based per particles character animation in instance mode without it ? of course not every1 needs to do crazy things like this , but when you do , you get the power of both ! :)

TRick
04-19-2008, 07:28 AM
...Variation Texmap will be in the next finalRender or finalShaders release...

That would be cool. I always wondered why such a basic and important features was never integrated in the first place...not in any renderer supporting instances (except Vue I think). I hope it will be integrated in stage1R2_sp2 (Max) for FinalRender. Will there be support for images or gradients to make picking discreet colors or ranges possible ?

Michael-McCarthy
04-20-2008, 01:47 PM
That would be cool. I always wondered why such a basic and important features was never integrated in the first place...not in any renderer supporting instances (except Vue I think). I hope it will be integrated in stage1R2_sp2 (Max) for FinalRender. Will there be support for images or gradients to make picking discreet colors or ranges possible ?

We will surly add as many goodies as we can. Feel free to go over to the cebas forum and make some requests! We are always listening.

Thanks
Michael McCarthy
cebas USA

opus13
04-20-2008, 11:31 PM
in all of the technical demos i've seen over the years, especially since renderers started regularly rendering 1billion+ polys, no one ever shows a scene that you wauld actually want to produce.

sure, there are 5000 trees and whatnot, and its a nice technical acheivement, but its just detail for details sake. it doesnt look anyhting that i would consider usable in a production environment.

R10k
04-21-2008, 02:23 AM
Not everyone works in a production environment.

Lone Deranger
04-21-2008, 02:35 AM
That's because it's just that.... a technical demo. It's up to you to use your imagination and skills as an artist :arteest: and take the tools offered to you to use them to create something special.
Where's your imagination...?

in all of the technical demos i've seen over the years, especially since renderers started regularly rendering 1billion+ polys, no one ever shows a scene that you wauld actually want to produce.

sure, there are 5000 trees and whatnot, and its a nice technical acheivement, but its just detail for details sake. it doesnt look anyhting that i would consider usable in a production environment.

opus13
04-21-2008, 06:12 AM
maybe i'd just like to see a little more 'sizzle' from what is essentially an advertisement.

TRick
04-21-2008, 08:22 AM

You must be kidding. When looking at all the Arch Viz that is being done, where until recently mostly all green stuff was done in 2D post, 5000 is a REALLY low number if you want to do it all in 3D, which is definitely the way to go for the future , also if you want good animation...I use GroundWiz in combination with VRay and FinalRender and the maximum number of instanced Proxies you can use with it is about 100000, and I have hit that ceiling 2 times already, because I wanted some variation in small plants !!!

Michael-McCarthy
04-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Just a little FYI if I may:

This is a training/demo video to show how easy it can be to work with instancing in finalRender. finalRender has had this integration and supported instances like this for a couple of years now. I just wanted to make it clear that these features are in the current release and have been for a quite some time.

Some other renderers are now coming out with (or updating) proxy systems. I saw a few posts saying something like "finalRender will be coming out with XYZ" so I just wanted to make it clear this is not a preview video at all.

Thanks
Michael McCarthy
cebas USA

CGTalk Moderation
04-21-2008, 09:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.