PDA

View Full Version : rounded corners on square curve

SvenKalkschmidt
04-17-2008, 04:17 PM
I have a primitive>curve>square and would like to round the corners evenly. I have been searching the forum and the web, but turned up nothing. does anybody have an idea?

sciics
04-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Hit the M key and middle click and drag the end / coner points... make sure you have just the right number of points/subdivision on your square..

its actully there i suppose on the new commers forum ... hope it helps...

SvenKalkschmidt
04-17-2008, 08:52 PM
thanks, it seems to work. but its a lot of effort with the grid and all - is there really no easier way?

sciics
04-17-2008, 09:57 PM
If you mean by Grid a polygon primitive then you have an option of bevel points... the surface grid should be a walk in the park...

Xsi modeling differs quite a lot form other apps but thats what it makes xsi faster and quicker than the rest...

the curves do have some excelent option when you right click on them... or rClick + Alt... depends on what preference you are working... loo around there are tons of tutors on curve and surface modeling... ... for version 6.5 use books that have been printed since 4.2 and up...

SvenKalkschmidt
04-17-2008, 10:01 PM
no, i meant the grid in the viewport. or is there another way to make the corners evenly round? i know the bevel op for poly modeling, i wish there was sth similar for curves.

mocaw
04-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Let me ask first what you are creating.

Regardless I know if no chamfer or Fillet tools in XSI for curves. Maybe there is a plugin but I haven't seen it.

One work around is to make cube, bevel 4 of the edges getting the profile you wish to have, then grab the edges that outline the curve you want, and lastly go model->Create->Curve->Extract from edges. By no means a perfect solution though!

SvenKalkschmidt
04-17-2008, 11:03 PM
I needed the chamfered square spline for a loft from the square to a circle. I extracted the curve and it worked fine, but I thought this was a pretty strange way, so I decided to ask if there was a simpler solution. I dont want to call myself stupid, but often I miss an obvious button or two ;). thanks for your help

mocaw
04-17-2008, 11:21 PM
There are no stupid questions about curves or nurbs in XSI, only frustrated people trying to answer them!

As if you couldn't already tell...nurbs are kind of stone age material in XSI...

If you need better control I strongly suggest looking at Rhino or MOI (Moi is by far cheaper).

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2008, 11:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.