PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Rig: upper body flies off

John Keates
04-17-2008, 02:18 PM
I rigged and weighted a model with the auto-rig and now I have a problem:

When I rotate the Upper Body control around the y axis, then around the x axis, the upper body moves off the legs.

This also happens with the Hip control. Or if I do the y axis rotation with the "global srt" or "biped" controls.

I get the same problem if I create a biped rig and rig it in a new scene with default settings.

I must be doing something fundementally barmy for this to be so broken...

farhaad
04-18-2008, 05:36 AM
it's funny cause i had the same problem 8 month ago and i posted a help in here and xsi base forum and nobody helped me..
i had to let the project be open until the end of my animatings..and eatch time i closed it and then re open the project ..my animation on every upper body offseted alot ,so how i finish the project you ask..??
i had to re-store the hole animation and re-import the base model and re-apply it again..and again
i hope somebody solve this problem..so atleast you do not have to go through the same suffer..

John Keates
04-18-2008, 02:18 PM
For me, the problem happens not only after I re-load but as soon as the rig is made. Could this really be a problem in the software?...

It looks like I might have to make my own rig...

farhaad
04-18-2008, 05:25 PM
i think that's the only way..
but it's a shame... :cry:

3dtutorial
04-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Dunno... could be a bug.... then again it's more likely that it's user error. I'm all my time using the software I've never experienced this happening myself....so what can I tell you? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to imply that you are not having an issue, all I can say is that the chances are good that this could be down to reasons other than the software.

Hope you get it sorted out.

J

John Keates
04-18-2008, 06:10 PM
How wierd... I just started a new session in XSI and tried to repeat the error like before so I could give exact steps and it didn't happen. I loaded the scene where it originally started happening and now it is fine...

Looks like it is sorted then...

farhaad
04-18-2008, 10:01 PM
that's very good..
but the quastion that remains is how deep can we trust the xsi default rig..
and why it doesn't upgrade with some new features like strechy bone op
and maybe adding more mucleature controls perhaps.?!!?

.. i may have complains about the xsi but it's my software of charractor animating and it will be always even that's a hard job to do in a country like iran..that mostly are maya and max.
and i know a handfull of people that work with xsi...

3dtutorial
04-18-2008, 10:42 PM
that's very good..
but the quastion that remains is how deep can we trust the xsi default rig..
and why it doesn't upgrade with some new features like strechy bone op
and maybe adding more mucleature controls perhaps.?!!?

.. i may have complains about the xsi but it's my software of charractor animating and it will be always even that's a hard job to do in a country like iran..that mostly are maya and max.
and i know a handfull of people that work with xsi...

Like I said, I don't have much problems with it.

Look it all depends on what you are trying to do. Myself, I don't believe in trying to make a single rig that does everything... as many noobs seem to try and do.

Before I do anything I have a think about what sort of motion I expect my character will need to perform and then I build a rig to suit. Often I use the biped guide, other times not... again, it depends on what I'm trying to do.

Since I know how to rig it's not a problem for me to create a rig from scratch. It's true the biped guide rig in XSI does have a few bugs and problems and it is not perfect. That said, if you understand what you are doing in the first place then it's totally useable.

Again, the biped guide in XSI is showing it's age a bit now and I would recommend that if you want to implement a lot of fancy stuff then building your rig from scratch is a better idea.

As I pointed out the biped guide / rig within XSI is not without it's problems, however, and many times either user error or a lack of understanding of general rigging techniques that is at the root cause of the problem.

J

farhaad
04-18-2008, 11:34 PM
tnaks.!! that's all i needed..

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2008, 11:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.