PDA

View Full Version : NVArt: Art Space Winners!

salmonmoose
04-17-2008, 07:28 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/stories/2008_04/artspace/cgtbanner.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4490)

The CGSociety and NVIDIA are very proud to present the winners of our newest competition, NVArt: Art Space. In this competition, artists were invited to gaze into the far reaches of imagination and to bring together their vision of grandeur.

The results are both gorgeous and immensely impressive. A sweep through the gallery of entries is a voyage of discovery on a scale beyond the ordinary.

Check out the winning entries here (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4490).

downing
04-17-2008, 07:58 AM
Congratulations to everyone who entered and especially to the winners!
Amazing results and very worthy winners. Enjoy your new Quadro's. :)

Xdreamer79
04-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Congratulations to you guys :) Well done :)

koolnits
04-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Congratulations Staszek! :beer::beer:

biliousfrog
04-17-2008, 08:42 AM
There are some amazing images there, I can hardly believe that the entries improved so much from start to finish. Unfortunately I missed most of those images first time round due to some urgent projects so I will have to sift through the threads when I get a bit more time.

I would also like to say just how "honoured" I am to have my image in the honourable mentions list...probably more surprised than honoured but still very pleased to say the least.

Well done everyone.:bowdown:

depleteD
04-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Great work, you contestants' communication of your imagination are such an inspiration and such a blessing to human culture.

I look at these and I am filled with joy from the beauty.

Tip of the hat ladies and gentlemen.

Anrew

tlggungor
04-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Congratulations to all winners :) I love the 1. winners work amazing detaling level great work

chromecity
04-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Congratulations to the winners and the honorable mentions, too! What awesome imagery there. And lots of the others that weren't mentioned, too. :cool:

Anyone know what happened on the team side? Wasn't there supposed to be a team prize also? :hmm:

hardy-guardy
04-17-2008, 09:07 AM
My congratulations to winners.
Great works, guys! )

So, what about team winners?

hris
04-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Big Congratulations and respect for winners and honourable artists! I'm so proud that the winner is guy from Poland:)))

Best regards
hris

Nazarych
04-17-2008, 09:43 AM
My congratulations to winners.
Great works, guys! )

So, what about team winners?
------------
+1

OZ
04-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Icredible stuff!! im amazed by the overall quality of this NVArt space challenge.Marvellous.

Nazarych
04-17-2008, 09:56 AM
The same question about team entries? Works created and posted, but no mention in the news:hmm:... Any comments?

kiboSVK
04-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Gr8 designs Congratulation station playstation:drool::scream::bowdown:

Atris
04-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Congratulations to all winners!
Many thanks CGSociety and NVIDIA for the great competition!
I'm very happy! :)

TCPortfolio
04-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Congratulations to all the winners and honorable mentions! I felt honored to even enter the competition, and I hope there are tons more to come! I learned a lot during the process and benefited greatly from seeing all the other amazing images! Thanks NVidia and CGSociety for hosting such a wonderful competition.

Staszek
04-17-2008, 02:23 PM
BIG BIG THX

Im very happy!

Congrats to rest of winners and honorable mentions - yours works are so cool :)
you are very talented people!

This is the good opportunity to say : Its worth to take chances in contest like this - cant wait to see next!

So guyz keep comming with greate works!

Artbot
04-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Congrats to all! The winners and HMs are all fantastic and very deserving.

I really enjoyed the subject matter of these last two contests and especially like the short turn-around time from announcement to winners. This was a fun contest that finally made me get off my lazy butt and enter something, which is saying a lot! Thanks to Nvidia and CGTalk for sponsoring this. Looking forward to the next one.

Hynol
04-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Congratulions to all - winners and HM's.

BIG GRATZ for you Staszek :). Amazing work.

DaddyMack
04-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Congratulations to all concerned, especially you folk organising these, you're really giving so many artists great reason to push their creative boundaries:buttrock:

Marcinek
04-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Congratulations to all winners! :) You are very talented and skilled people!

Gratulacje Stachu, praca jest świetna, naprawde wymiata!!!
... jakbys nie mial kogo zabrac na wycieczke, to ja akurat mam wolne ;)

hardy-guardy
04-18-2008, 06:14 AM
ok. Could anyone from CGS Staff explain me, what's happend with "team section"?
Is there no winner? Was team section closed?

MarkSnoswell
04-18-2008, 06:56 AM
We get very low numbers of team entries – not enough to constitute a category on its own. Rather than selecting some arbitrary minimum number to constitute a category we apply the following procedure:

All entries are judged together. If one or more of the top three is a team entry it (they) are removed and the top one awarded the team prize.

After removing any team entries the top three individual winners remain.

By following this procedure we ensure that all entries are judged to the same standards and that no individual is disadvantaged with respect to team entries. We also ensure that team entries are judged to the same standard as individual entries regardless of the low number of team entries.

The application of this procedure is at the judge's discretion.

In this competition there were no team entries that were judged as a prize winner.

Cyborgguineapig
04-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Amazing work. Congrats to all the winners.

hardy-guardy
04-18-2008, 08:07 AM
We get very low numbers of team entries – not enough to constitute a category on its own. Rather than selecting some arbitrary minimum number to constitute a category we apply the following procedure:

All entries are judged together. If one or more of the top three is a team entry it (they) are removed and the top one awarded the team prize.

After removing any team entries the top three individual winners remain.

By following this procedure we ensure that all entries are judged to the same standards and that no individual is disadvantaged with respect to team entries. We also ensure that team entries are judged to the same standard as individual entries regardless of the low number of team entries.

The application of this procedure is at the judge's discretion.

In this competition there were no team entries that were judged as a prize winner.

Cool!
You are change rules after the deadline. But you tell nothing about changing.
To my mind - doesn't matter how numbers of team entries was posted. This category was created and some people make works specialy for this section.

Okay. This is CGStaff & Nvidia decision.
In future I will to know - any rules may be changed without notification.
Sad but true. Nothing personal.

chromecity
04-18-2008, 08:15 AM
I noticed the imbalance of individual entries to team entries also and I think the system that you've just outlined is a very good one. But come on, changing the rules after the entries have all been submitted? As we are to understand it, basically, the team prize simply evaporated and was not awarded anywhere? That seems very fishy indeed. :hmm:

Nazarych
04-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Great !

Let us to ask something... why did you create a team category, if you dispossible to to appreciate something. at its true value ? That was 5 teams... not a one... but it does’t make any changes.
It’s a really clever to make some changes in a rules, after an applications filing process has completed.
I don’t think, that is a community policy, because it’s looks dishonest and non professional.
Do you really think, that a next professionals will cooperate with you ?
I don’t think so...
Any way good luck. Do something like that in a next time again.

chromecity
04-18-2008, 09:50 AM
It baffles me that you set forth 31 separate rules, and none of them had anything to do with the ability to totally discount the team category, regardless of the number of participants.

And it seems you've broken your own rule 30 in the process:
"This list of terms and conditions constitutes the complete and exclusive statement of the terms and conditions and supersedes any prior terms and conditions, oral or written, and any other communications relating to these terms and conditions."

It appears that wasn't the "complete and exclusive statement of the terms and conditions" after all. What a sad state of affairs. :sad:

MarkSnoswell
04-18-2008, 12:16 PM
The provision to allow teams and a team prize should there be a suitable team entry were added after the competition started at the request of some potential entrants. The only fair way to handle this late addition was to judge all entries by the same standard, allowing for a team prize should there be a team entry worthy of it without depriving any individual entry judged as highly or higher. Awarding a team, or any entry, a prize ahead of other entries judged to be better would be unfair.

ivanegues
04-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Dutchtilt said a wile a go in the forums

"I think the contest is an amazing creative outlet, and it is almost done perfectly...i have a Major beef with the judges. from what **I** saw, there are NO architects!!!??? i think this is truly a huge mistake. Being an architect and in the CG world, i know that a Practicing architect will bring so much more to the jury process. I think the jury will affect what people submit, look at the inspiration area...its a load of sci-fi, star trek, video gamish stuff...which is ALL gorgeous mind-you...but when you refer to Gehry, and have architecture in the title of the contest...i think you should have at least one practicing architect on the panel."

I think the selection reflects 100% this condition. (Architecture is more than eccentric object implanted in a landscape). Apart from that, great Ggs.

deletePlease
04-18-2008, 02:36 PM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/Chrike/sucks.jpg

seriously, you got to be f** kidding LOL
This is absolutely ridiculous. I dont even really care about the prizes whatsoever but this absolutely random change of the rules just f* sucks.
If u just think about it:
Do you really assume any team (no matter if it´s 1 or 100) would have sat down hours and hours to make their entry if you stated this from the start? That you might just go and drop the whole category.. there was no minimum entrants no stated anywhere.
And even more pathetic: A company like NVidia which makes millions over millions each year does, in association with CGSociety, just drop a whole category because you´re too greedy to give away 4 f* graphics cards?!
Everyone was aware that this could have happened from the beginning.
That there is a certain chance of only few team entries.
The single entrants as well as the team guys and I´m 100% sure that none of them (the solo entry lads) would seriously complain about the team category winner, whatever piece it is, as that was a given possibility at any time.
And after all they´re all artists so they know and can see whether someone put a lot of work and time in something or not.
.... seriously .. was just thinking about some sort of conclusion which makes this a bit more comprehensible but there is none; it´s just pathetic.

sideshowbob
04-18-2008, 02:41 PM
my reality seems to be incoherent

promising something..

We get very low numbers of team entries – not enough to constitute a category on its own.

.. and not delivering

... unfair.

well done

i guess when they change things like this for that, or similar reasons i can imagine it to be called
cheating/con/fraud/farce/deception/scam/swindle/subterfuge

BAH !

chromecity
04-18-2008, 03:25 PM
The provision to allow teams and a team prize should there be a suitable team entry were added after the competition started at the request of some potential entrants. The only fair way to handle this late addition was to judge all entries by the same standard, allowing for a team prize should there be a team entry worthy of it without depriving any individual entry judged as highly or higher. Awarding a team, or any entry, a prize ahead of other entries judged to be better would be unfair.
Mark, I can understand that what you are calling a provision does offer a potentially more fair judging among all entrants, both teams and individuals. And it sounds like the appropriate way to proceed going forward. But since you keep talking about fairness, don't you see how blatantly unfair it is to set forth very specific rules for a contest, solicit everyone's entries, and then change the rules after all that? One of the rules even clearly states that there are no other rules. And this provision you mention was never even added to that rule set (not that it legitimately could have been since it would violate rule 30 anyway).

The point is not whether the fairest system was established before the contest. The point is that the rules were clearly established before the contest. And the part where the resolution was to not give away the prize at all is just shameful. You can say that it was the judges or nVidia or whomever that decided to change the rules, but morally, nobody had that right. The sponsors and judges signed up to take on the rule set as it was established, and what has happened here is the opposite of fair. Fair would be to keep your word now and then later go about changing the rules prior to the next contest.

I agree with everything in the previous post (2 posts up - the one by Chrike), although it could have been stated a little more politely. But I think the way it was worded shows the outrage that some people will have over this. I do not personally have an entry that would have been in contention anyway, but you have done a disservice to all of the team entrants by pulling this stunt. Someone should be very ashamed. It's too bad this casts a blemish on an otherwise extremely impressive contest.

And by the same token - you probably received way more killer individual entries than were initially envisioned. By your own logic, you should then be modifying the original rules so you can hand out about 10 prizes since it didn't go how it was initially expected. Somehow I don't see that happening, eh?

fxmodels
04-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Mark,
CGSociety is a business. As part of that business, and to further enhance and provide attention to your business, you establish contests from time to time. You in conjunction with NVidia, established the Architectural Landscape challenge. You established rules and further clarified that no other rules would supercede your very own rules. Then you solicited entries from thousands of CGSociety members. You dangled hefty real-world merchandise prizes in front of ALL of those participants with a special TEAM category prize to be awarded from a separate TEAM judging process. To many, the prize was not the issue. But, YOU established a specific merchandise prize to be awarded to the winning Team Entry.

And then you found a reason not to award the merchandise prize.

I am not sure you can LEGALLY do that.

As has happened with other contests, there was an understanding that there would be a Team prize and a single entrant prize. YOU clearly outlined the two prize packages. They were not SHARED prizes. They were distinct and wholly different prizes for the winners of the Single Entrant versus Team Entrant divisions. It was clearly labeled as such on the website the entire time that the contest rules were posted.

Your explanation of how the judging took place was flawed in that you carefully maintained all along that the team entries were to be considered separate from the individual entries, apparently while convenient, and then suddenly they were all being judged by the same criteria and it just so happened no team entires bubbled to the top. And an entire PROMISED prize award evaporated. Nowhere did it say that Team Entries MAY be awarded a prize if they are the top entry. In fact it said that there WILL be a Team Prize.

Where is it Mark? Who got the prize that was officially dangled in front of all of us?

On a side note, I see the next challenge is there now with over $100,000 in prizes with a category for "Team Video" as well. Can you imagine what I, at least, am thinking Mark?

Marc D'Antonio
President
FX Models

ccrisan
04-18-2008, 08:10 PM
I recall being so enthusiastic about this contest… The title, the theme and the setup were perfect to have a unique exploration of the architecture. New, inspiring visions! Throughout eyes and minds not “corrupted” by the everyday architecture professional crawl between budgetary and structural limitations. The ones that dream and have the talent to show, defining paths to follow and explore. I’ll do what I consider to be a critique by a young architect with more enthusiasm than experience and, in a same time, a passionate about CG.

There are many things that I did like even if few went beyond the eye candy and brought real input. And even less had something to do with architecture. There were others that went to the “A” extreme of it, showing realistic renderings of villas and such… But I’m disappointed mostly by the choice of the 1st prize. While I do like visual exploration I’m unable to get more than confused when I see kitsch, getting the 1st prize on an international competition, under the “architecture and landscape” title, with F.O.G. design as background, with remarkable references, hosted by the very cgSociety site and having such a jury…

In my enthusiasm, I advertised this competition to other colleagues of mine claiming that “you’ll see amazing things”… Now I won’t even dare to announce them the competition is over. Staszek, please don’t take it personally. What you did is indeed remarkable, there is clearly a lot of hard work and, technically, your talent is undeniable. And if it wasn’t on this competition, I would be seeing it otherwise. But the contrast is just shocking. Is this the finest vision of what architecture and landscape might be?...

Is it the architects or the cg artists in the jury that appreciated the esthetics of the grotesque, odd mixture of imported pieces covering a spectrum with 3 or 4 classic orders, some Haussmannian elevations, obscure gardening and a huge volume wearing 80’s style framework and glazing? All in crushing, all-but-human composition and scale coming from some totalitarian, political régime, I won’t name here? I won’t discuss too much over the suggested functionality of the apartment 21.456.22.E nor the radial terraces hanging at 600m altitude where, anchored well by your gravity boots probably, is good to take a promenade. The mall must be nearby, so that’s fine? What about the relation between architecture and landscape?... there is none. Globally, this is the very opposite of what I hoped to see coming out from this contest…

I’m really shocked. My years of architectural study and practice lost suddenly value. If this is our dwelling dream I must reconsider so many things...

deletePlease
04-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Your explanation of how the judging took place was flawed in that you carefully maintained all along that the team entries were to be considered separate from the individual entries, apparently while convenient, and then suddenly they were all being judged by the same criteria and it just so happened no team entires bubbled to the top. And an entire PROMISED prize award evaporated. Nowhere did it say that Team Entries MAY be awarded a prize if they are the top entry. In fact it said that there WILL be a Team Prize.

thats a very good point. seriously that just screams scam...

You kept pointing out that there were a ton of mind-blowing solo entries in direct contrast to the 'lame' team entries, right?

So it´s really kinda weird that the team prize just completely disappeared ..

In my opinion it would have made more sense to add a 4th and a 5th prize in the single category and split up the four gfx cards there... 2 for the 4th, 2 for the 5th
if the work put into the team entries wasn´t worth any appreciation at all. ;)

And don´t get me wrong here, there seriously were a lot of really good images among the entries and the moment I saw Staszek´s submission I knew that this is gonna win cause it´s simply monumental.
However; the things mentioned in previous posts smell like dog´s breath...

chromecity
04-18-2008, 10:18 PM
In my opinion it would have made more sense to add a 4th and a 5th prize in the single category and split the four gfx cards up there... 2 for the 4th, 2 for the 5th. ;)While this sounds reasonable at the surface, it unfortunately covers up the real issue. There were rules. Very clear rules which cannot be cast aside on a whim. If I were a team competitor who thought I was definitely in the running for the best team entry, then I would be very disturbed by this turn of events. I'm not, but I'm still disturbed that this kind of shenanigan would take place in a contest of this kind of global exposure.

Nowhere did it ever state that team entries have to be altogether better than individual entries. That is just some twisted presumption that has somehow managed to make the team prize disappear. All that was ever stated was that individuals would be judged against other individuals and teams would be judged against other teams. It was presumed that there would be more individual entries, so more prizes were set aside for them.

Just because the people who set this up did not fully envision what they had done and did not make any consideration for how many entries might be submitted is no excuse to renege on it after the 11th hour.

I'm tired of being frustrated over this and I'm sad for the teams that had created nice images. So what if they weren't as nice as the 4th place individual image. The way the competition was set up all along, they were never entered to compete with that.

deletePlease
04-18-2008, 10:32 PM
While this sounds reasonable at the surface, it unfortunately covers up the real issue. There were rules. Very clear rules which cannot be cast aside on a whim.

yeah that´s very true Jeff;
I said this with the premise that they dont give a f* about the rules anyways; but clearly, you´re right!

I'm tired of being frustrated over this

same here, same here;
And I normally I would just go and say.. whatever f* it.
But the one thing that really keeps pissing me off is that Mark here just shows up with an absolutely fancy made up explanation of why they dropped the team category without being embarassed or anything AT ALL. Not even a sorry or sth..
Just: mh hey no more team category thanks for wasting your time.
I mean c´mon that CGSociety and NVidia! lol when I was younger that was like a brand.. wohoo CGSociety; I didnt even want to upload sth here cause I felt that you really have to be up to a certain standard to join THE society if u know what I mean.
And now they pull a stunt like that; it´s so sad lol

MarkSnoswell
04-19-2008, 01:31 AM
Regrettably we are caught between a rock and a hard place. All images were judged to the same standards and none of the team entries ranked with the winners or honourable mentions. As all of the applicable rules give final discretion to the judges a tough decision was made which I take responsibility for. The alterative would be far worse – judging the teams to a different standard and awarding a prize that should have gone to a large number of better entries. That would lead to a far greater outcry as it would have been unfair and a gross violation of the whole judging process. Whatever we did was going to displease some people and that is truly regrettable.

The easy way out might have seemed to be to coerce the judges into applying a double standard and just wear the outcry from everyone– particularly from the large number of entrants who could have entered as a team instead of individuals and would have won the prize. However there is a conflict of principals here and I chose to make the hard decision – one standard for everyone and no coercion of judges to violate that standard.

MarkSnoswell
04-19-2008, 03:09 AM
I have just thought of a possible solution that should be acceptable to everyone. I ask for your patience. I have to discuss this with NVIDIA first before making any anouncments early next week.

Kerem
04-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Amazing entries. Especially the artworks of Rudy and Petar :beer:

sectora
04-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Congratulations to all the winners!

I am honored to be selected as an honorary mention. I have found the contest stimulations and especially in the end I got critiques that enabled me me to improve my work. That in it's own is an invaluable consequence I took away from this contest.

Thanks everyone!

Albert

MarkSnoswell
04-24-2008, 02:48 AM
All entries, both individual and team entries were judged on the same merits. The judges felt that there were insufficient team entries to merit a prize. However Ballistic and NVIDIA have chosen the best team entry and NVIDIA has generously offered to send them the team prize even though there is no official team winner selected by the judges. The team entry selected is Tumbleweed Town (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=605437)by Kenan Tuzi and Midhat Kapetanovic.

chromecity
04-27-2008, 04:18 AM
Congratulations to Kenan and Midhat on being selected by Ballistic and NVIDIA as the best entry among the team entries. :thumbsup:

And thanks for working something out for them, Mark. :thumbsup: I hope the upcoming challenges have some amended rules to avoid the frustrating sort of situation that was encountered here.

chromecity
04-27-2008, 05:07 AM
Ah, I see this new rule has made its way into the Uplift Universe challenge - but not into the Design Fusion challenge...

"Ballistic Media may suspend a category if insufficient entries are received for that category to be considered viable and be judged."

Beyond that, it should be stated somewhere if the entries are intended to be judged as a whole and not by category - especially since that is an uncommon practice (although it is arguably a very fair way to approach things - as long as everybody knows such a system is in place).

myarchitect
05-20-2008, 01:32 AM
will a related book be published later???:)

MarkSnoswell
05-20-2008, 02:13 AM
will a related book be published later???:)

It has been discussed -- something we are still looking into.

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2008, 02:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.