PDA

View Full Version : Null preset library.. Please help!

UMG
04-17-2008, 12:53 AM
I watched the tut vid on how to instal it, but im confused about the part after you run the exe. Then it goes into modo and you're supposed to create a path to the folder where you installed the presets. What item in the shader tree are you supposed to use for this?

How do I seperate my object into a different parts (to for applying the presets) or apply presets on a per face basis?

Grolicus
04-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Create a new material (or use an existing one) and right-click on it. Select Load Preset and another window will appear. Just click Add Path and find and select the path for your Null Presets Folder.

To apply materials to a parts of a mesh, just select one after another the parts you want differently textured, and right-click each time, then select Add To Selection Set. Name the Selection Set the way you want, and repeat for each different surface.
Then select or create the different materials you want in the shader tree as usual, select them one after another, and change the Property "Polygon Tag Type" to selection set. In the drop-down box below you can select which Selection Set it is you want to associate with this material.

UMG
04-19-2008, 03:10 AM
Im not sure I understand. Whenever I click on my base shader and click apply preset, it crashes.

Once I've created my selection set, where would I find it? How are selection sets different from groups?

Also, my item list has a single mesh object and when I click on it, ever object in my scene, everyhting is selected. :curious:

There are so few options for the material when I hit M, I cant hlp but wonder how people create such incredible stuff..

Thanks for bearing with me. Im a total beginner to modo.

Grolicus
04-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Clicking "apply preset" on the base shader is definitely not supposed to crash Modo. No clue here, perhaps it's an install issue.

Also, there's something you need to grasp before going any further. A "mesh" in Modo is sort of a container for everything you create when this mesh is selected in the Item List. So if you create a cube when Mesh is selected, it contains the cube. If you then create 2 more, the mesh will contain 3 cubes.
If you want the cubes to be different objects to select, you need to create a new mesh, for example Mesh2, and then create the second cube. And then a third mesh, Mesh3, to create your third cube, and so on.
So if you created everything in one selected Mesh, everything will indeed be selected when you click on this mesh. You can always rectify this by selecting the polygons you want to separate, and cut& paste them into a new mesh.

Groups are groupings of Mesh Items. So you could select the 3 aforementioned separated meshes with each 1 cube, and group them so they are easily selectable.

When you push M, you don't see the Material Editor: you just see a quick window that allows you to give a name and a colour in the viewport for this material. The real Material editor by clicking Shader tree (up right), then expand the Render arrow, and you'll see your material name in the list. Clicking on it, the Properties under the Shader Tree will read Polygon Tag Type: this is where you can selct Selection set. In the Polygon tag entry underneath this, you can select your Selection Set by the name you've given to it.

The real material is made by expanding your Material by clicking on the triangle before it, and playing with the Properties. Remember, at the side of the properties are also tabs that allow you to change still other settings like transparency.

I do recommend you watch a few more basic videos at Luxology TV before diving in head over heels: all these options for materials and combining them are clearly laid out in some excellent tutorials. Seems a shame to break your head over things that are readily available and free for downloading.

Grolicus
04-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Here are some other basic videos explaining some the concepts like Mesh Items:
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v62992733Hc2SrPy?c=Modo

brianod
05-12-2008, 12:45 AM
Here's a fewquick examples of the library usage.

1st one took 5 minutes to model and 20 minutes to render with Global Illumination on.

2nd one (wood Dowel Cap) use global illumination but no refraction and rendered quickly.

3rd one uses refraction, GI and the dark glass material (Glass Jet).

CGTalk Moderation
05-12-2008, 12:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.