PDA

View Full Version : Under Water Effects

mjkennedy
04-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi,

I am working on a project, and I need to show something traveling under water in the Ocean. I have two questions.

Firstly, you can see the ocean floor in the scene, and I need the ocean floor to fade away into the blue in the background. Any ideas on the best way to accomplish this?

Secondly, I need the reflection of the ocean surface to cast down on anything moving through the water and onto the ocean floor. Again, any ideas on the best way to accomplish this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

bravmm
04-16-2008, 07:33 PM
1. you can do it completely in 3D with a volume shader effect, or go the composite way and comp it in. Have a search for the lume tool shaderset.

2. search the web for a caustic generator, and aplly the generated texture to a spotlight to get the effect on the bottom of the ocean.

good luck,

rob

mocaw
04-17-2008, 04:22 AM
Firstly, you can see the ocean floor in the scene, and I need the ocean floor to fade away into the blue in the background. Any ideas on the best way to accomplish this?

Cheap way- render out an animated procedural that looks like rippling water caustics in grayscale on a grid using an othographic camera or even just the view port. Take that and using a projection- project it onto the scene. Render that as its own pass, and as stated by bravmm comp that over it how ever you see fit.

Secondly, I need the reflection of the ocean surface to cast down on anything moving through the water and onto the ocean floor. Again, any ideas on the best way to accomplish this?

Depth passe(s) and then do it in post. Should be fairly easy for the most part...can get slightly more complex if the fade also happens less near the surface...

mjkennedy
04-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys, sounds like good advice. I'll give it a shot!

Matt

sciics
04-17-2008, 08:39 PM
the lume shader worked for me... you may find it on xsi base or something...

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2008, 08:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.