PDA

View Full Version : Spielberg/Dreamworks acquires the rights to "Ghost In The Shell"

kemijo
04-16-2008, 03:35 PM
DreamWorks prexy of production Adam Goodman (http://forums.cgsociety.org/javascript:zodInfuser.FillDescriptions('Adam Goodman');) said "Ghost in the Shell" is a property "that epitomizes 3-D live-action motion picture possibilities."

http://www.variety.com/VR1117984029.html

P_T
04-16-2008, 04:56 PM
DBZ, Alita, Akira and now GITS... great, what's next? Appleseed? or perhaps Naruto... :scream:

Even Spielberg jump on the anime adaptation bandwagon. Let's have a little guessing game as to what's going to be butchered from the source material. The gore's most likely gone, Americanised characters perhaps?

Lordiego01
04-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Even Spielberg jump on the anime adaptation bandwagon. Let's have a little guessing game as to what's going to be butchered from the source material. The gore's most likely gone, Americanised characters perhaps?

Well, I will do my part to not come off as an ass-hat, and hold judgement until the film is complete. I love Speilberg and his golden touch, and I think this is pretty exciting news! I'm really looking foward to see what this genious does with the source material.

P_T
04-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Well, I will do my part to not come off as an ass-hat, and hold judgement until the film is complete. Heh, thanks for the not-so-subtle hint.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I probably won't. Caucasian playing Songoku and Tetsuo... guilty until proven innocent I'd say.

Baltasound
04-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Let's have a little guessing game as to what's going to be butchered from the source material. The gore's most likely gone, Americanised characters perhaps?

How about the fact that she gotta be naked to be invisible.

xen_ninja
04-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Heh, thanks for the not-so-subtle hint.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I probably won't. Caucasian playing Songoku and Tetsuo... guilty until proven innocent I'd say.

I understand the concern but ask yourself this: is the ethnicity of the main character integral to this particular story ? Anime tend to have japanese characters mostly because they're Japanese.Just like American movies with American characters.Remember ,even aliens ( the humanoid ones) look japanese in Anime.

Nonetheless, I loathe the story modifications/simplifications/Americanisation of the storyline and/or action sequences done by the pretentious and patronizing studios. I hate it when they put useless pretty boys and beautiful girls with no martial arts talent to play characters that are supposed to excel in it. This is one of the reasons why I am an avid supporter of Performance Capture. You can have your pretty face and acting skills plus the talent to pull off the stunts conivincingly.

Studios: Save yourself some money . There is a reason why such stories are animated .If you can't pull it off in live action ,then just'd dont!

Venkman
04-16-2008, 06:08 PM
How about the fact that she gotta be naked to be invisible.

That's not the case in the animated series. I still feel that the story in the two seasons of the series is MUCH better than the two feature length films. Given the time they have to develop characters, though, I can't blame anyone.

P_T
04-16-2008, 06:34 PM
I understand the concern but ask yourself this: is the ethnicity of the main character integral to this particular story?I concede that it's probably not necessary to be Japanese in GITS or in Akira (though if they're going to keep the Japanese title, it's only fitting that they should have Japanese, or at least Asian characters in the film), but in DBZ case... I'd say yes it is integral. Son Goku is the name of the mythical Chinese monkey king.

I'd just like to point out that with a couple of exceptions like Jacky Chan and Jet Li, there's no Asian actors having lead role in a film with modern setting. Even with these two, the roles are pretty stereotypical kungfu fighting. Others are usual stuck with Asian themed period films.

One can only dream of seeing GITS with an Asian American lead actress.

Venkman
04-16-2008, 06:49 PM
I too would like too see that. At least in the series, there are plenty of references to the United States as an outside force they have deal with. If they stay even remotely faithful they should keep it in Japan.

Hopefully ol' Spielberg will lend some clout to get it done right.

xen_ninja
04-16-2008, 06:54 PM
If only movies were simply about stories instead of all the politics and marketability and whatnot.

Artbot
04-16-2008, 07:11 PM
If only movies were simply about stories instead of all the politics and marketability and whatnot.

Which is exactly why I hope none of the books I love are made into movies. In the right hands, they could be landmark films, but because of what movies are (product) the odds are against that. I'm reading Sun of Suns right now and it's so full of amazing, atmospheric visuals that (again, in the right hands) it could be a stunning movie, but I'd much prefer they didn't touch it. I like the movie in my head far more than any filmmaker could create. Most movies can never be completley true to their original subject matter, simply because of differing narrative styles.

This is not to say there haven't been great adaptations of other source material, but the chances othat some hardcore sci-fi or fantasy will make it to another medium with all the details and story nuances you love intact is so remote that it's futile to even bother.

Trojan123
04-16-2008, 07:16 PM
http://www.variety.com/VR1117984029.html

Whoa!
I sure am glad I aint a fanboi of this property.

Boone
04-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Christ, what are they going to do next - remake Blade Runner? Because thats practically what they are going to be doing here - the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie is perhaps the most internationally acclaimed Anime feature ever made(well, maybe AKIRA). A real landmark film even dispite taking a detour from the original Manga(which could be said of Blade Runner in respect to "Do Androids dream of electric sheep?").

erilaz
04-17-2008, 12:41 AM
As much as I love Speilberg, I do NOT want a Ghost in the Shell remake. He can make a new addition to the series if he likes (ie. Standalone Complex), but touching the original material is going too far. It's perfect the way it is, and any live action remake will only shatter a perfectly good story.

This is Ghost in the Shell we're talking about. One of the most beautifully done philosphical thrillers in a long, long time.

It's all well and good to say "Let's wait and see what they do, and it may actually be great, this is Speilberg", and i'd usually be on that bandwagon, I really would. But Ghost in the Shell works because it IS anime. The closest i've seen to anyone getting anime right is the Matrix, and look what happened to that by the third film.

Some remakes were just never meant to be made. A classic example is The Departed. Take a perfectly good Hong Kong thriller (Infernal Affairs), and turn it into a dull Boston crime drama that never even comes close to replicating the original for tension or character.

I really dont get the whole "Westernise Asian cinema" angle. Even Hero had to be "presented by" Quentin Tarintino, who had crap all to do with the film.

What's next? A half-hack live action edition of Spirited Away?

[/RANT]

P_T
04-17-2008, 02:38 AM
Anime tend to have japanese characters mostly because they're Japanese.Just like American movies with American characters.There are some anime in which westerners are depicted as westerners, like Blood: Last Vampire for example.

Another thing is, Japan is pretty much homogenous ethnically while America is multicutural, so when you said "American movies with American characters", what exactly did you mean? If the main character is Asian, he/she is not an American character anymore? only Caucasians and African Americans are true Americans?

Sorry, I'm not trying to corner you or anything, I'm sure you didn't mean it like that. I'm just trying to illustrate my point that there's no reason why Kusanagi can't be Kusanagi in this adaptation even if the setting is in America... and hopefully she will be, thought I doubt it. :D

xen_ninja
04-17-2008, 04:29 AM
Another thing is, Japan is pretty much homogenous ethnically while America is multicutural, so when you said "American movies with American characters", what exactly did you mean? If the main character is Asian, he/she is not an American character anymore? only Caucasians and African Americans are true Americans?

Sorry, I'm not trying to corner you or anything, I'm sure you didn't mean it like that. I'm just trying to illustrate my point that there's no reason why Kusanagi can't be Kusanagi in this adaptation even if the setting is in America... and hopefully she will be, thought I doubt it. :D
Ahh... my bad. American is not an ethnicity . I did indeed mean that most "Americans" are either portrayed by Caucasians or people of African descent.Let's not get into semantics because this is not about race but rather localisation.

xen_ninja
04-17-2008, 04:34 AM
Some remakes were just never meant to be made. A classic example is The Departed. Take a perfectly good Hong Kong thriller (Infernal Affairs), and turn it into a dull Boston crime drama that never even comes close to replicating the original for tension or character.

I really dont get the whole "Westernise Asian cinema" angle. Even Hero had to be "presented by" Quentin Tarintino, who had crap all to do with the film.

What's next? A half-hack live action edition of Spirited Away?

[/RANT]
I agree with you 100 % percent!!
The Departed was a joke. Maybe this is a spoiler but don't you find the melding of two femal characters from the original Infernal Affairs into one for The Departed just ridiculous? I thought they were over-emphasizing the duality part a bit too much. If anything such coincidences undermine the credibility of the story. I honestly don't know why Scrosese did that. Did he Think that North America cannot handle the intrcacy of an extra character ?

malducin
04-17-2008, 05:17 AM
As much as I love Speilberg, I do NOT want a Ghost in the Shell remake.

If we were lucky enough to have Spielberg direct it. The article only mentions he was involved in getting the film rights for Dreamworks. I suspect at most he will only exec. produce. More in the line of Transformers.

Even Hero had to be "presented by" Quentin Tarintino, who had crap all to do with the film.

Well he never claimed to have made any contribution. He only helped in having it released in the US, which of course the studios exploited to promote the film. Much the same Coppola and Lucas names were used when they helped produce or bring Kurosawa's films to North America.

I do agree with most other points about how studios strip the core of most adaptations.

BTW I did like The Departed (I believe Scorsese said it was an interpretation or adaptation of Internal Affairs and as such there were many changes, if anything the whole smugggling chips part was a bit too farfetched for me :-P)

depleteD
04-17-2008, 05:25 AM
Ghost in the Shell sucks

erilaz
04-17-2008, 05:27 AM
Ghost in the Shell sucks

Come one, come all! Feed the troll! :D

doCHtor
04-17-2008, 05:47 AM
Ghost in the Shell sucks
How brave to say such a foolishness :D

DogBreath
04-17-2008, 05:52 AM
Don't you think that this could end up being good for us, think of all the people that would'nt look twice at an anime film, that will see this, because Speilberg's name is on it, and think yeah I want more of that, and go and look at the originals.

Then demand for more is generated, and we may see an increase in the amount of great anime being produced all over the world.

I think any excuse to give the movie going public a way of seeing into this world, and showing them what we have seen is a great idea.

I keep going back to GITS, its one of the best, and I'm looking foward to seeing some new title come along that is as good.

erilaz
04-17-2008, 06:11 AM
I think any excuse to give the movie going public a way of seeing into this world, and showing them what we have seen is a great idea.

But that's just it, we shouldn't have to "dumb it down" for audiences. They should see it as a valid artform like any other.

If people actually went to the cinema for story rather than to see their latest teen idol fall in love with some mild comedy along the way smattered with explosions, this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

And let's face it, even if they ended up creating a script that sung true to the original and all the aspects of it gave a great tribute to the material, it would only end up appealing to the people who liked Ghost in the Shell in the first place, thus defeating the purpose of creating the live action movie.

Perfect example? Aeon Flux. Let's take a freakishly awesome short series and turn it into a box office flop because we missed the whole point and style of the original.

Dammit i'm ranting again. :)

aesir
04-17-2008, 06:31 AM
yes the characters should be japanese because dealings with the "American Empire" are important to several plots.

I already have an idea on how they'll butcher this, but oh well. I suppose its probably one of the better suited animes to go to live action.

Silvermyst
04-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Don't you think that this could end up being good for us, think of all the people that would'nt look twice at an anime film, that will see this, because Speilberg's name is on it, and think yeah I want more of that, and go and look at the originals.

The problem I see with this is that in my experience, most people who see a remake won't bother seeing the original because "Meh, already seen it". I know I've been guilty of it personally despite being a huge film buff.
Then there's also the issue of whether the remake is any good at all. If it sucks totally, then the audience would be even less likely to watch the original since their pespective is already soured. Likewise, if the remake is actually really good, and then they see the (usually) dated original, it's less appealing to them because of the dated effects, story, print, etc.

Personally I don't think any good can come of this. Originals should be left as they are. How many faithful/good remakes of the Mona Lisa does anyone know of? :)

MrPositive
04-17-2008, 08:05 AM
You guys are acting as if Uwe Boll bought the rights which I'm sure he tried.

erilaz
04-17-2008, 08:38 AM
You guys are acting as if Uwe Boll bought the rights which I'm sure he tried.

No, if Uwe Boll had the rights I would have gone into catatonic shock and then spent the rest of my life wandering the desert. :D

depleteD
04-17-2008, 08:50 AM
nah Ghost in the Shell doesnt suck I was just antagonizeing the people that care too much.

I remember first watching anime such as ghost in the shell and being completey blown away. Can they do that, can dreamworks communicate the visceral "holy shit" feeling people get from watching these?

They did transformers pretty well, academy award winner? Nah? Entertaining and ****ing awesome? Yah.

If they mess it up, I will roll up in their grill bustin gats in a fools ass like my gangsta rap music tells me to.

Glenfx
04-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Cant be worst than GITS 2 and the series ;)

erilaz
04-17-2008, 09:37 AM
If they mess it up, I will roll up in their grill bustin gats in a fools ass like my gangsta rap music tells me to.

And said rap music will probably be in the end credits.

I know i'm overreacting, believe me.:D

JoshBowman
04-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Cant be worst than GITS 2 and the series ;)

Gotta love GitS 2 and the series, infact I rewatch GitS 1, 2 and the series every 3 months or so as it's such great escapism.

The trouble with the live action version is that they'll never live up to the expectations of fans (ie me) because the characters just won't look, sound or act the same as their anime counterparts. It will be dumbed down for the general audience (and no i'm not just including America in this, i have friends who didn't understand I Am Legend :surprised) because gitS contains a lot of thinking about ones general state of existance and if there's one thing general audiences don't like it's thinking while watching a screen.
So you take out the philosophy and you're left with futuristic police action with some wire-fu martial arts which isn't so bad, except that it'll then be accused ripping off the matrix and every other film that's come out that drawn inspiration from it.

My guess is they set it in a hyper slick, clean New York where an elite team of cyber ninjas must stop "ze Germans" who've kidnapped the Majors IVF daughter and are demanding the release of some guy who almost killed the Major and meant that she had to be turned into a cyborg with only bits of her brain as the last remaining traces of her humanity.

There I said it.

doCHtor
04-17-2008, 12:10 PM
I also like GITS2.

P_T
04-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Let's not get into semantics because this is not about race but rather localisation.That's what I'm trying to say... they can localise the film and still have a "Motoko Kusanagi".

nah Ghost in the Shell doesnt suck I was just antagonizeing the people that care too much.I'd prefer the term "passionate", has a nicer ring to it. ;)

amannin
04-17-2008, 06:07 PM
My guess is they set it in a hyper slick, clean New York where an elite team of cyber ninjas must stop "ze Germans" who've kidnapped the Majors IVF daughter and are demanding the release of some guy who almost killed the Major and meant that she had to be turned into a cyborg with only bits of her brain as the last remaining traces of her humanity.

There I said it.

you sound as if you just finished reading the script :argh:

sadly, it would probably end up close, if not word-for-word, how you just described it -- granted the Germans could possibly be replaced by "international terrorists"

my hope, like any other fan, is that they do NOT try and remake part 1, or *gasp* even try part 2, but rather a new adaptation much like the series was to the movie(s). and for that matter, hopefully they don't use season 1 as their point of reference, because that is what made me stop watching the series (i couldn't stand the voices of those small spiderish robots -- makes me cringe just remembering) though, I was informed by a friend that series got much better during the 2nd season, so I'll have to eventually check it out...

angel
04-17-2008, 06:23 PM
This is why I was relived that NGE never took off the ground. There's no way in hell they can make it any justice in just 2 hrs... not by a long shot.

Glenfx
04-18-2008, 12:18 AM
What i donít like about GITS 2 is that they over used the "internet chat" with single shots where nothing else moved other than bubbles in a water tube and such, so its about 90% of the movie talking to others online with nothing else going on, then theres a burst of action for a few seconds and then internet chat again for 30 minutes.
The sets (ambient) didnít match the continuity of the first one (and one expect it to be), and several shots done exactly the same over and over (the car parking, he goes home ten times, and all ten times the very same scene)

GITS (1) is a masterpiece, there werenít any dull moments and even when internet talking they where doing something, so there still was animation going on, they didnít repeat scenes either and was packed with action.

-The first series was good but not great, again they lost much of the time internet chatting but it had a good story but it was too damn much chat/information/explaining (again nothing great about it).
-The second series Iíve only seen the first three episodes and so far quite boring, not expecting the rest of it to change but i will eventually finish watching it (but not exited to do so)

So, if Spielberg wants to do a live action, I think itíll be great, at least they wont be internet chatting in a forced melodramatic fashion with a single uninteresting shot that is shown over and over ^__^.

As a really disappointed fan i gladly say "Go for it"

Fingus
04-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Hmm, I believe that I read in some artice a while ago that Spielbeg cited GITS as one of his favourite movies and a source of inspiration. If he's going to be the one directing it I don't think he will butcher it too much, unless The Suits demand that the script is to be dumbed down... Which is extremely probarble, because that shit is deep.

Either way, I don't mind remakes of old movies or animu series. It's not like the originals are burned to heat the furnace that forges them.
I think...

doCHtor
04-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Now someone should remake Cowboy Bebop, preferably mr. uwe :twisted:

Boone
04-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Now someone should remake Cowboy Bebop, preferably mr. uwe :twisted:

Thats it! Give him ideas why doncha!:wip:

kretin
04-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Hmm, I believe that I read in some artice a while ago that Spielbeg cited GITS as one of his favourite movies and a source of inspiration. If he's going to be the one directing it I don't think he will butcher it too much, unless The Suits demand that the script is to be dumbed down... Which is extremely probarble, because that shit is deep.
Except he is a Suit, so if that's the case I think he'll be as faithful as practical to the source. But whenever you cross mediums like this certain liberties need to be taken, the trick is to remain faithful to the intent of the original.

The trouble with all these remakes and movies being made of stuff I love, comics, etc, is they can never do justice to the first impression I have of the originals, they can never live up to the hype my memory has generated. Even when I go back to much of it I realize that it is often not as good as I remember, it just struck me at that place, at that time. I am sure though that they give many kids seeing it for the first time the same thrills I got from the originals.

What I really enjoy about them is seeing characters come to life on the screen, or in a different way to how I've known them, even if the movies are poor. I take the good aspects (How cool was it seeing Angel in X-Men 3 even though the movie was generally a let down) and ignore or quickly forget the bad.

So I think it's great that this stuff is getting made. People have been saying for a long time that Hollywood doesn't have any original ideas any more, but now at least they're using ideas that I can geek out on :buttrock: And they do seem to be (generally) getting better at it with each movie, in no small part to the projects being helmed by people who grew up with this stuff, the fanboys themselves instead of people just trying to make a buck out of something they think kids will probably like.

doCHtor
04-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Thats it! Give him ideas why doncha!:wip:

Arghhh.... I didn't realize... :shrug:

zukezuko
04-21-2008, 01:28 PM
because gitS contains a lot of thinking about ones general state of existance and if there's one thing general audiences don't like it's thinking while watching a screen

welcome to hollywood

anobrin
04-21-2008, 07:59 PM
I Liked Both, movies both series
and "Solid state society"( Ya unrepentant fanboi here)
I have very little hopes that this wil translate over to live action.

CG tachikomas will look cool they might be able to pony up
a reasonable looking kuzinagi.

But Bato?..naaaaa me thinks not

remember "Eon Flux"?

Have we truly run out of new ideas?
is this it ?
No more Cool new imaginative stuff
just recycle and mostly RAPE previous imaginative works?

>>Walks away Shaking his head ruefully<<

CGTalk Moderation
04-21-2008, 07:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.