PDA

View Full Version : HP, DreamWorks Preview Breakthrough Color Display Technology

robcat2075
04-15-2008, 06:20 PM
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2008/080414c.html

HP and DreamWorks Animation SKG, Inc. (NYSE: DWA) previewed a display technology that helps solve a longstanding obstacle for digital content creators: affordable and consistent color accuracy between devices.

The result of an unprecedented collaboration between the two companies, the HP DreamColor Technology computer display provides accurate, predictable color and a simple color management process to assure vision-to-production color consistency in a widescreen liquid crystal display (LCD).

The display generates the industry's first combination of true 30-bit color - enabling a range of 1 billion colors - in an LED-backlit LCD at a fraction of the cost of most high-end, studio-quality LCD displays.

"For decades, storytellers have struggled to manage color in an accurate and consistent manner," said Jeffrey Katzenberg, chief executive officer and director, DreamWorks Animation. "Quite simply, when we make a movie about a big, green ogre, our concern is that our ogre is the same color of green throughout the film. HP has truly changed the game with its new display, giving DreamWorks Animation full visual fidelity across the board for the first time."

tonytrout
04-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Sounds terrific to someone struggling to work in linear colour space. I wonder if dreamworks idea of affordable and my idea of affordable are one and the same thing?

Szos
04-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Very interesting news - especially for someone (like me) that is struggling with color accuracy across multiple screens. Such a damn pain.

TONYTROUT - very good point about the price.

L.Rawlins
04-15-2008, 08:33 PM
It'll only be 'a fraction of the cost' of a high-end traditional panel if HP/Dreamworks are planning to allow the licensing of their intellectual undertaking to competitors and at a reasonable markup.

Otherwise that's going to be quite a big 'fraction' from your pocket for a niche Hewlett Packard monitor, surely.

An interesting development nonetheless. :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2008, 08:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.