PDA

View Full Version : Resources for Maya Hair and Renderman?

alexgk
04-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi all,

I am wondering if there are any books, dvd's or any other resources that might talk about Maya Hair in Renderman? I am trying to do some tests here at work, and see different results between using Shave and rendering in Renderman, or Maya Hair and rendering in Renderman (like how would nurbs curves render in Renderman?). Any sort of shading info I might need, can you only output nurbs curves to renderman from Maya Hair, etc....

I asked at work for them to get me the access to the official forums, but I wanted to ask CGTalk users for any info as well.

Thanks

jude3d
04-16-2008, 10:10 PM
it's hard to find documentation or tutorial about shave with renderman, about maya hair and fur you have the digital tutors covering the basics. using shave or maya fur and hair is different, shave is an export from buffer to ricurve and need a RIB generation and a shader to render hair. Shave is better to set the look of the hair you like an could be really powerfull to set custom scripted shader, now with rms you can add a custom hair shader like a marschner one in a single line of code in maya.
maya fur is a procedural fur rendering, the advantage is it's generated at render and no in rib , so it's faster than with shave for a big furry character. dynamic and hair could be better in result with maya hair than with shave. I'm not using a lot maya hair and fur but I think it's harder to customize the look and the shader than with shave.

So using shave or maya is only about your need.

alexgk
04-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Ah, thank you for the good information! Well I can say what my needs would be, because it seems almost like I want to use both Shave and Maya Hair (fur I think would be too short).

The problem I'm having in Shave seems to happen when I'm trying to get very stylized type of curves. When I try creating something like a "ringlet" of hair, or a big very defined curve..Shave doesn't seem to be able to do this. I believe it's something about the fixed number of cv's per curve.

So in Maya Hair I can do this very easily and give me exactly what I want...but I don't know how to get that into Renderman (still waiting for access to be approved to site), or even if I can use BOTH Shave and Maya Hair together...
I just didn't know if there were any books or anything that covered this...

thanks again!

jude3d
04-18-2008, 05:37 PM
ressources about hair and prman are poor , but you can create hair with shave based on curve and edit and refine a bit the look of your curve with the tool brush. digital tutor provide a dvd about shave & haircut, you should have a look at.

also on joe alter site you have several tutorial about styling and combing hair.

you can build very complex haircut with shave, but it need a bit of practicing.

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2008, 05:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.