PDA

View Full Version : Foundation: Saving and re-applying shaders

Inflater
04-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Hello folks,

I'm a long time reader and seldom poster down at the "Wings 3D" forum and I am tinkering with 3D using said modeler and Carrara (and Poser, but I don't think I should mention this). Problem is Carrara drives me nuts with it's bugs and flaws despite of it's promising features. So I'm more and more thinking about purchasing "Foundation". Before taking that fine application into account I like to know something about applying shaders to objects (don't know if these are the right terms in XSI).

Setup is as follows:

I have some figures as .obj files with many material zones defined in them. There might be no problem as told by various posts in this and other forums in defining and setting the shaders for the materials of an object. Question is now: Is it possible to

save a complete shader set-up (again: don't know if that's the right term in XSI) for an object and not only one shader after another?
re-apply that shader setup to another object (given it has the same materials defined)?

Hope this makes sense.

Regards,
The Inflater

grahamef
04-15-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm not quite sure what a "material zone" is, but in XSI:

- Materials are a set of interconnected shaders.
- Materials exist in libraries independent of the objects and polygon clusters they are assigned to.
- You can apply the same material to as many objects and clusters as you like.

I suggest you download the 30-day demo and see whether it fits your style. Just note that it's a demo of Essentials, not Foundation, so there are some features you don't get in Foundation.

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2008, 05:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.