PDA

View Full Version : Rotation:Speed Space Follow

grury
04-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Hi all,

Does anyone know a way of how to lock axis when using the Rotation Op, with Speed Space Follow.
I'm doing some R&D on a poor mans crowd system, using PFlow. All working pretty nicelly apart from the rotation of the characters, I want them to face the way they going, but only on one axis. For exemple I dont want them to lean down/back if they going down/up a hill.

Any clues/suggestions?

Thanks,

Carlos

JohnnyRandom
04-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Hey Carlos,

You could try using just speed space instead of speed space follow.

grury
04-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi John, speed Space doesnt seem to have any effect at all.
On my setup so far I have a surface with some noise and the particles (instanced geo) are Lock/Bound to the surface mesh. To drive them forward I have a wind with some torbulence, so they dont just go on a straight line. And here's where the Direction Speed Follow would come handy, as to have the characters facing the way they walk.

Cheers,

Carlos

JohnnyRandom
04-16-2008, 05:30 PM
I see, do you have box#3 by any chance? Khye Kading built a sweet rotation lookat operator that might suite your needs perfectly. It has a local offset so you rotate your particles local rotation and you can add a lookat object to give them direction to look at. That and maybe a find target test might work.

grury
04-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Unfortunatly dont have Box3 :sad:

JohnnyRandom
04-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Bummer

I am at a loss. I wish I could say I could script an action. I think you would be able to get the particle orientation from the particle and be able to lock one or more of the axis. alas my pflow scripting skills are lameduck. I spent a few minutes messing with it but didn't achieve anything usable :(

grury
04-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks John,
I'm not good at scripting either, gonna ask one of the guys here to have a go at it.

Cheers buddy.

duke
11-06-2008, 06:42 AM
The system that I knocked up today works fairly well. Try getting rid of the lock op and using a Speed by Surface instead (set it to control speed continuous up the top). You can then use a rotation op with speed follow.

The only problem i'm having now is they don't seem to have any sense of direction - they try to zig-zag their way along a completely straight path!

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2008, 06:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.