PDA

View Full Version : Per Particle Collision help (instanced)

Bombata
04-15-2008, 05:55 AM
Hey Guys, basically im trying to make my instanced particles collided with each other so I dont get intersection. Im emitting a series of numbers from a surface that fall and collide with another surface. Now when the numbers hit and sit on the secondary surface they sit next to/on top of each other. I have tried adding a radial field and making each particle the source of the field to try to make the particles stay away from each other. Thing is because the numbers are different shapes and lengths and scale the uniform "max distance" attrib in the radial field doesnt cut it. Using spheres all of the same size as a test works fine.

There must be another way to make particle objects collide. Could it be rigidbodies?

Any ideas?
Thanks.

destruct007
04-16-2008, 07:42 PM
unfortunately there isn't really a way to make particles collide in the way you are hoping. best way to do that is a rigid body sim, if you can get a rigidbody plug-in like novodex, or something that can handle a lot of objects unlike maya's crappy solver.

Bombata
04-18-2008, 01:33 AM
He He, thanks I'll look into plugins.

When I do a rigid body sim in Maya with a bunch or objects it takes forever and only seems to use 25% of the CPU for the calc. Wish it would use more :(

phildog
04-18-2008, 03:07 AM
hi

you could use a radial field thats set to per particle and use the particle shape as the source.

works faster if you use the volume to and or max distance of the radial field

He He, thanks I'll look into plugins.

When I do a rigid body sim in Maya with a bunch or objects it takes forever and only seems to use 25% of the CPU for the calc. Wish it would use more :(

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2008, 03:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.