PDA

View Full Version : Ambient lighting

UMG
04-15-2008, 03:30 AM
I have a single object, which I want to light ambiently. Is there a good way to do this?

EDIT : on a different, topic, if you had to summarize the way booleans are used in a sentence or two..?

brenly
04-15-2008, 09:58 AM
this must be a trick question ... just turn off your lights and turn up the ambient intensity.

Limbus
04-15-2008, 02:01 PM
EDIT : on a different, topic, if you had to summarize the way booleans are used in a sentence or two..?

Not at all if you can avoid it.

UMG
04-15-2008, 08:50 PM
I remember using booleans in Cinema 4D, and basically all you have to do was take two objects, put them where you want to and specify which one you want to be the boolean and it would do the rest for you. Does modo work in a similar way?

As for the ambient lighting, turn up the ambient intensity of what? Where would I find it?

brenly
04-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Not at all if you can avoid it.

totally agree!

under render node in shader tree .. GI settings .. not the most obvious place to put it ..

UMG
04-16-2008, 02:10 AM
Thanks! I was using a dome light and that was giving me a lot of issues.

Modo seems to lob every new object into one, object. is there any way to select things independently.

Mike RB
04-16-2008, 04:13 AM
modo does a few things differently. In the item list click the (new item) line and choose mesh, then create your new geometry in there. It creates a new 'item' to drop the created meshes into. This works well as you decide when things create new item transforms and you don't end up with thousands of objects by default and have to 'combine' them later.

To seperate out somthing you've already created, just select the polys (double click to selected connected) and then ctrl-x to 'cut', select the new mesh item (or create one (hotkey 'n') and ctrl-v to paste.

You might want to go throught the video tutorials to get a grip on this stuff.

Michael

Limbus
04-16-2008, 10:34 AM
I remember using booleans in Cinema 4D, and basically all you have to do was take two objects, put them where you want to and specify which one you want to be the boolean and it would do the rest for you. Does modo work in a similar way?

It works in aimilar way. You use two objects, one in the foreground layer and one in the background layer. But it can mess up geometry and the result can be hard to clean up so if you can get the result in another way I would go the other way.

Cheers, Florian

CGTalk Moderation
04-16-2008, 10:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.