PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Skin Weight oddity

TLobes
04-14-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm doing a mirror skin weights on a rig that uses a disjointed setup (the bones are in the same heirarchy but not nessecarily connected to each other).

When I do a mirror skin weights across the geomtry in a piece with only 6 bone influnences, it mirrors every joint but one even though they have the same "mirrored" location and naming scheme "Right instead of Left". This has happened on other pieces of geomtry on the rig as well. Only fix right now is to manually go through each vert and do it by hand.

Using Maya 8.5 SP1 for win32

BenBarker
04-14-2008, 08:11 PM
We have non-standard skeletons as well, and we were only able to get this working by using the joint labels, and making "labels" the primary criteria for the mirror.

crumbly
04-15-2008, 01:44 AM
If your mesh is symmetrical you can try this (http://www.supercrumbly.com/assets/melscrip/abWeightLifter.mel) script. I wrote it to get myself out of a similar situation.

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2008, 01:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.