PDA

View Full Version : mirror skin weights help!

vrljc
05-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Hi all-

I am trying to use the mirror skin weights tool. My character is one seamless mesh poly object and my skeleton structure is completely symmetrical along the YZ axis. After I got my weights set up for the joints on the left side of the body, I now want to mirror those weights to the right side.

So i used the mirror skin weights tool with the YZ axis selected (which IS correct in my case), but nothing happened; the weights never mirrored. I think what is happening is that maya does not know that the left side needs to be mirrored to the right side.

What am i doing wrong?

-vrljc

nemirc
05-13-2003, 01:45 AM
Did you remember to check whether you were mirroring the left to right or otherwise?
That's the "positive to negative" option in the command settings window. :airguitar

jporter313
05-17-2005, 05:16 PM
hey, did you ever get this problem figured out? I'm having the exact same thing happen and it's not because it's mirroring them from the wrong side, it just doesn't change the weights at all. Thanks in advance.

Dichotomy
05-17-2005, 05:22 PM
is your mesh symmetrical? or just your bone structure?

jporter313
05-17-2005, 07:00 PM
I think they're both symetrical (aside from the spine joints of course, which are centered and have no mirrors).

When I run the command I looked in the script editor here's what it says:

copySkinWeights -ss -ds -mirrorMode XY;
// Warning: Skipping influence 'Shaman_MouthOuterMidLeftLower'. No mirror found. //
// Warning: Skipping influence 'Shaman_RingFingerLeftDistal'. No mirror found. //
// Warning: Skipping influence 'Shaman_RingFingerRightDistal'. No mirror found. //
// Result: 1 //

for some odd reason it's not finding the mirrors for these bones even though they're named using the same conventions as the ones surrounding them that it is finding (also, Shaman_RingFingerLeftDistal and Shaman_RingFingerRightDistal are mirrors of each other, go figure). But regardless, it seems like it should be working aside from those bones, and it's not.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm doing something wrong when I'm executing the command. I'm supposed to just select the mesh that the skin weights are on, then select skin>edit smooth skin>mirror skin weights, right?

jporter313
05-17-2005, 07:52 PM
ok, that was stupid. I was mirroring across the wrong axis. I must say though, the way they have the axis buttons labeled is a little hard to decipher (I figured it out by what it said on the positive to negative checkbox. Anyway, thanks for the help and I hope this thread comes in handy to someone else in the future.

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2005, 07:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.