PDA

View Full Version : Faq

MarkSnoswell
04-14-2008, 06:40 AM
Why must entrants be members of CGTalk or CGSociety?

We need to be able to contact all entrants -- we have one registration system. This also means that all competition entrants are covered by the same set of Terms and Conditions.

Do I have to submit an image in the 2560 x 1600 size?

Yes.

What if I want to do a different aspect image?

You can fill it out to 2560 x 1600 with black borders.

Why do entrants have to be 18 or older?

Prizes include travel packages that need to be sent to a person 18 years or older. There are also restrictions on minors entering competitions in some countries, so it’s only fair to apply the same age restriction to the whole world.

Are there any work in progress uploads?

No. This is not like a CGChallenge. There are no work in progress requirements. All you have to do is upload your entry before the deadline of March 10th 2008.

Can NVIDIA use my art for marketing without asking me?

No. NVIDIA can only use your art as part of gallery, wallpaper or other collections of similar images with your full credits attached. If NVIDIA want to use your work in some other way they will have to contact you directly to get your permission.

Do I still own my entry?

Yes. The copyright to your image is yours. The only uses Ballistic and NVIDIA have right to are those outlined in the rules.

Why must entrants grant Ballistic Media and sponsor (NVIDIA) first right to publish their submitted work in any media?

NVIDIA are the sole sponsors of this competition and have requested this to prevent any unscruplus competitor trying to exploit entrants work. We agree that it would not be fair to let some competitor benefit from NVIDIA’s sponsorship of this competition. This is why we agreed to this restriction in running this competition – it’s fair.

What image file size is best?

Try to keep images under 2MB. Compressing them with something other than Photoshop will help, as will using a lower compression setting - there is no need for 100% quality when compressing JPEG files.

ptiZZa
04-24-2008, 09:37 AM
..There are no work in progress requirements. All you have to do is upload your entry before the deadline of March 10th 2008.

i think You mentioned 19 June. and please delete my post as well =)

Nomad
04-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Hello Mark,

Great contest! :bounce:
Only one image per entrant admitted? :curious:

Dreamdealer2099
04-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Yeah.that's great!

But what do i have to do to create a new thread regarding that challenge?:)

fibrizo
04-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Are there any work in progress uploads? No. This is not like a CGChallenge. There are no work in progress requirements. All you have to do is upload your entry before the deadline of March 10th 2008.

March 10th 2008? I knew that time machine would come in handy someday.

Dreamdealer2099
04-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Oh,see now :cool:

Continuumx
04-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Can an image created previously (previous project - school or university project) but not entered for any challenge be entered for this competition?

phizikl
04-24-2008, 09:14 PM
hi,
i have a question, because the competition only talks about 2d and 3d design...
design is a broad term and i am a digital artist and photographer, can i merge a photograph of a person with digital art? or does it all have to be 'virtually created' this wasnt quite clear to me, thanks for the help!
peacE!
ian

skAt3f0r71f3
04-24-2008, 09:18 PM
March 10th 2008? I knew that time machine would come in handy someday.

you caught that too?
lol

liviuberechet
04-24-2008, 10:35 PM
1. Can i post multiple entries?
2. Photos, hand made paintings... anything is aloud as long as it is made by me?
3. Can I use it as part of my companys portfolio after 19th June?
4. The desing can/should be for NVidia?
5. The 1st prize... can i bring a friend? :)

AncientMyth
04-25-2008, 03:33 AM
I have a question regarding rule 2. Does "promoting" a entity constitute entering a work on behalf of a entity? The entry would be completely my concept and creation but the theme would revolve around said entity.

ariokone
04-27-2008, 12:24 PM
can u confirm the deadline please?:)

Dreamdealer2099
04-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Yeah,would be nice! Cuz unfortunately,now my time-machine is broken...so i am not able to meet the deadline (10 March) :scream:

MarkSnoswell
04-27-2008, 01:36 PM
NVArt - Design Fusion...

Users can make multiple entries.

Close of competition is 19th June.

3D render and 2D design -- not photograph and 2D design.

You can base it on whatever theme you like.

I think that covers the latest questions.

AncientMyth
04-28-2008, 03:12 AM
Thank you for the reply Mark.

Samione
04-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Can we submit our entry in portrait instead of landscape...?

MarkSnoswell
04-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Can we submit our entry in portrait instead of landscape...?

Fill with black to make up the correct dimension.

The aspect ratio is chosen to match the maximum normal screen resolution -- the images are intended to work well on screen.

Samione
04-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Fill with black to make up the correct dimension.

The aspect ratio is chosen to match the maximum normal screen resolution -- the images are intended to work well on screen.

Ok that's understandable. Thanks for the reply.

toribird
04-30-2008, 07:16 AM
can i use fully 2D create?! means just use photoshop & illustrator software.

MarkSnoswell
05-01-2008, 12:11 AM
can i use fully 2D create?! means just use photoshop & illustrator software.

The result has to be a clear fusion of 2D and 3D ... we will be judging the result, not how you create it. So I see no problem with using only Photoshop and Ilustrator -- as long as the 3D coponents are convincing.

kukart
05-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Today I try to submit image. Now I must to wait about notification or sumbiting was wrong?

kukart
05-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Sorry, today I try ones more, but I can nt understand the result of submiting of image. Is it smth wrong, I made mistake, or submiting need time for preview or...?
Please, help -)

Staszek
05-02-2008, 05:29 PM
it could be a problem with image file size. It should be under 2mb. try it should work

kukart
05-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks. Image size (mb and pixels) 2 checked.
Can be it Firefox 2 bug?
After *uploading* I become the same url http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/03/submit.php

crishie
05-05-2008, 10:42 AM
All entries should be original and not a derivative of existing work, including works previously entered in this competition.

Derivative of existing work? I made a 3d render of a gingerbread house, if I enter the challenge could I atleast borrow the ideas of the gingerbread house? I wouldn't be using the same model etc.

alritey, thank you :D

MarkSnoswell
05-05-2008, 11:45 AM
All entries should be original and not a derivative of existing work, including works previously entered in this competition.

Derivative of existing work? I made a 3d render of a gingerbread house, if I enter the challenge could I atleast borrow the ideas of the gingerbread house? I wouldn't be using the same model etc.

alritey, thank you :D

The rule about original works is intended primarily to prevent people from copying other works that are currently under copyright. The old stories such has Hansel and Grettel are in the public domain now and so there is no problem in taking inspiration from them. However another fair interpretation of the rule is to prevent wholesale copying of any another work, wheather it is in the public domain or not.

So -- if you are just taking inspiration from public domain ideas and works, but you are creating something clearly new then there is no problem.

dogaweb
05-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Hello MARK SNOSWELL
I am sorry but the email sent already solved the problem, forgot to leave under 2 megs.

tanks very mutch

leonar3d
05-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Hi,
I have one question about the requirements for this competition:
The focus lies more on creating an appealing image or on telling a story/ communicate a message?!? (I guess both of them are important :D, but maybe someone can give more info about what aspects will be looked at)

thanks Leo

SFedor
05-16-2008, 03:38 AM
I assumed photo elements would be ok, but saw your post :

"3D render and 2D design -- not photograph and 2D design."

Can you clarify? Is 3d + Photo and/or 2d design ok?

Thanks,
Scott

Bjork
05-16-2008, 03:42 PM
I assumed photo elements would be ok, but saw your post :

"3D render and 2D design -- not photograph and 2D design."

Can you clarify? Is 3d + Photo and/or 2d design ok?

Thanks,
Scott
It is my question too.
Is it acceptable to use a fusion of 3D render and Photo manipulated ? or it's forbidden to use any kind of photo ?

nwiz25
05-17-2008, 10:52 AM
hello Mark!

depiction of single semi nude female ( painted/3d model ) along with the design elements ..
is it allowed?

thanks,
neville

pianto
05-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Hi Mark,
How much do I have to wait before they see my picture published?

taurusmaxx
05-20-2008, 08:46 AM
I already uploaded 4 works of mine ...is that okay i hope there is no limit on works to be submitted ...
i am having fun with this ... :) and the contest is definitley meant for people like me ....
most of the work i created within a span of 2 weeks ...
i also need to know wether in he end the person who gets the price need to send in the original source of his work .. or something like that ...??

thank u all for arranging such a contest....

MarkSnoswell
05-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Depiction of semi nude female -- sounds OK if it's done testefully.

4 entries -- no problems. There is no limit.

A NVArt book - we are talking about it. Nothing decided yet.

cheers

mark.

eonridr
05-21-2008, 10:58 AM
It is my question too.
Is it acceptable to use a fusion of 3D render and Photo manipulated ? or it's forbidden to use any kind of photo ?

hi Mark, think u missed out these 2 posts. though i think u'll already said... i dunno, seems like theres still confusion bout that.

MarkSnoswell
05-21-2008, 11:08 AM
hi Mark, think u missed out these 2 posts. though i think u'll already said... i dunno, seems like theres still confusion bout that.

You can use photogrphic elements in your image.

MrHappy
05-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Hello Mark,

I was wondering if there is any way to edit an entry once it has been submitted? I wish to make some ammendments to my recent entry, and it seems a shame if I cannot strengthen my piece before the close of the competition. Thanks.

freakstar
05-23-2008, 04:57 PM
hi...
dont know what ive done wrong, but i cant see my entrie in the http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/03/entries.php area. i tried it 3 times, now i know that the first both times i hit the 2mb limitation. but the last time it was only 1.80mb large. does anybody know how long i have to wait till i can see my entrie there?

Tmatso
05-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Is 72 DPI enough ?

Serebryakov
05-24-2008, 05:05 PM
I have done the same thing as you, Freakstar, I tried uploading the image that was a little more than 2 mbg on the page, and every time it showed me a SQL mistake, but still if you saw, I have like 5 or 6 empty posts, these are my tries. So, if you don't see your work yet when you put it on the site, I would say try again, and also one of the things I did when I read the error report - is try to use simple words and not many quotations marks at ur description. It helped on my 7th try, so I guess it works.
To Tmatso, my image is 72 dpi and looks fine. As long as it's under 2 mb

peace to ya'll

ManuelM
05-26-2008, 12:02 AM
I just want to apologize for creating multiple threads but I had some problems submitting my entry. Could moderators please delete the empty threads.
I finally figured out what was the problem:
Don't use quotation-marks in your description as in:

DON'T: - DO:

it's ----> it is
it'll ----> it will
don't --> do not

... you get the idea...
regards,
m.

salmonmoose
05-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Hello Mark,

I was wondering if there is any way to edit an entry once it has been submitted? I wish to make some ammendments to my recent entry, and it seems a shame if I cannot strengthen my piece before the close of the competition. Thanks.

No - you can, however submit again.

salmonmoose
05-26-2008, 12:44 AM
I just want to apologize for creating multiple threads but I had some problems submitting my entry. Could moderators please delete the empty threads.
I finally figured out what was the problem:
Don't use quotation-marks in your description as in:

DON'T: - DO:

it's ----> it is
it'll ----> it will
don't --> do not

... you get the idea...
regards,
m.

Ah hah! I was wondering what was causing those threads! Seems the new server has some different settings - cheers for that :)

pedrojafet
05-26-2008, 02:01 AM
Dear MarkSnoswell,
I'd like to know if is permited upload a WIP print-screen to show some used technics applyed in the uploaded illustration.
Thanks and congratulations about the contest.
BR,
Pedro Jafet

ManuelM
05-26-2008, 02:12 AM
during the judging process will submissions be reviewd in hires (2560*1600)? because a lot of detail gets lost in the downsized images that are attached to the individual threads.

salmonmoose
05-26-2008, 03:06 AM
Dear MarkSnoswell,
I'd like to know if is permited upload a WIP print-screen to show some used technics applyed in the uploaded illustration.
Thanks and congratulations about the contest.
BR,
Pedro Jafet

You can link to images in posts - reply to the thread of your entry and link to any WIP images you have.

salmonmoose
05-26-2008, 03:11 AM
Is 72 DPI enough ?

DPI is irrelevant - the only thing that matters is that the pixel dimensions are correct.

salmonmoose
05-26-2008, 03:22 AM
during the judging process will submissions be reviewd in hires (2560*1600)? because a lot of detail gets lost in the downsized images that are attached to the individual threads.

yes :) :buttrock:

mohammedbood
05-26-2008, 09:45 PM
I have question ...

I submitted my design in Challenge by this page ...

http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/03/submit.php

I don't see my Share on challenge page ?
I send the design before 48 hours ...

Is the process takes a long time?

Only for reassurance ...

Naliorf
05-27-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm just wondering if there is supposed to be a delay in the time you upload your work to the time it is displayed on the "View all Entries" page and in the forum pages? I read some of the posts on the FAQ and most ppl seem to think that removing quotation marks and special characters from the description should work... I doubt that is the case since the text input section is totally different from the coding or whatever to let you upload and display image.

My Image is 2560 x 1600 at 1.45 MB total less than 2 MB. Should I just wait till it is updated or should I start worrying that my entry will never be seen by the judges? lol. I uploaded May 26, 2008. Please let me know.

Thanks.

rvkone
05-27-2008, 07:45 PM
I've got the same problem than you cbsee. My file size is 1.45 Mo and I cannot see my upload also. I think the delay is too short for those who has slow connection like me. I wonder if there is another way for submitting entry...
For the next tentative I'll try to reduce my file size to lower than 1 mb. But I lose in terms of image quality. Hope it will works anyway...

rvkone
05-28-2008, 07:54 AM
You can see an overview of my entry on my avatar till I manage the uploading problem :hmm:

lynch
05-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Can someone please post another solution to why these images are noy submitting, besides the qoatation marks , i tried that and still no image

Naliorf
05-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Post your Entry on the WIP Forums (Work In Progress). It will be considerably reduced in quality as well as size, but at least the judges will not have an excuse to say they never saw your entry hehehe. Put a link in your entry on the "View all Entries" page to link the WIP post. Hope this helps a little and I hope they fix this soon cause no one seems to be monitoring these forums. :(

Thanks

salmonmoose
05-29-2008, 07:47 AM
The posting is working for me - well once I posted something the right size.

try a short description like "description" and reply to your own thread with the actual description and see if I've missed something else.

lynch
05-29-2008, 05:05 PM
the only time the the post goes foward is when it is the exact size , otherwise the submit page appears again ...but when i post at 2560 by 1600 ...under 2mb blank post all blank ...id like to think after being in challenges before i am capable of following the guideline. whats up?

Serebryakov
05-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Someone should contact the Administrator of the forum and ask him/her to clean up the CHallenge Thread, it has already more than 20 empty posts. My guess is that somehow thread put a limit on the quantity of works posted or a limit of memory, or smth like that; which means that u can post ur work but it's not gonna show up bcz there is not enough space for it no more. Just a guess. Only administartor can solve the problem or the guy who keeps the server running, it seems like it's an SQL one.

preymx
05-29-2008, 11:30 PM
help with the uploading!!!
please i try evrithing and nothing works

salmonmoose
05-30-2008, 01:49 AM
Worked it out :) Don't worry if you've got multiple entries the same we can work it out for voting.

Sorry for the inconvinience :beer:

preymx
05-30-2008, 02:43 PM
thank you very much

MadeInUterus
05-30-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm having a hard time posting an entry,

Is my description too long?
Is my work too big?
Doens't the upload script like my color scheme?

I don't know.... all i get is redirected to a blank form without knowing if there was or wasn't an error... i'm following the guidelines ( 2560x1600 72dpi 8bits jpg)... can a moderator point me to the right direction?

edit: tried with a really short description, still no luck.... anyone?

edit 2: got the thread to iniate, guess its just a matter of time before the image appears, the "try to keep under 2Mbs at 90% quality" turned to "2Mbs limit, dont bother about the 90% quality" ...

MaryamNademi
05-31-2008, 01:52 PM
can we have our canvas like 1600 x 2560 pixel ??Nobody asked this before.And where should we post wip images?!

nwiz25
06-01-2008, 10:06 PM
is it ok if i post the entry in my gallery portfolio and link it to that page ?

something is dreadfully wrong ... not able to post anything ... :(

please help :(

MadeInUterus
06-01-2008, 10:11 PM
you are not alone, me and several others have been having broken image uploads... hopefully they will correct the issue as soon as possible...

nwiz25
06-01-2008, 10:17 PM
you are not alone, me and several others have been having broken image uploads... hopefully they will correct the issue as soon as possible...

i sure hope so dude .. coz it's kinda wierd seeing so many of my posts with nothing in it :hmm: lol

lynch
06-02-2008, 02:38 PM
thank you guys very much for the fixing the post problem ...appreciated

nwiz25
06-02-2008, 02:42 PM
yup! .. much appreciated! :thumbsup:

can we post our work in the portfolio gallery?

MaryamNademi
06-03-2008, 04:57 AM
Any comment??? Mods!!can we have our canvas like 1600 x 2560 pixel ??Nobody asked this before.And where should we post wip images?!

ManuelM
06-03-2008, 05:06 AM
it's been asked before... images need to be landscape format. if you want to submit a portrait then scale it to the required height and fill the rest with black bars

Ob3ron
06-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Hello everybody, my first post here.

it's been asked before... images need to be landscape format. if you want to submit a portrait then scale it to the required height and fill the rest with black bars

Regarding this, vertical images loose a lot of quality if posted this way, there's much less visible detail than horizontal ones. I would really like to know if it's not possible to post a 1600x2560 image.
Thanks

ManuelM
06-05-2008, 03:01 AM

Regarding this, vertical images loose a lot of quality if posted this way, there's much less visible detail than horizontal ones. I would really like to know if it's not possible to post a 1600x2560 image.
Thanks

i abolutely agree with you. it'd be great if portrait submissions were allowed and i think it somehow contradicts the idea of a creative challenge when you force the artwork into a certain aspect ratio.
unfortunately it seems the rules are that images must be submitted in landscape format and we have to live with it.
maybe a moderator could clarify the format question once and for all???

MaryamNademi
06-05-2008, 05:59 AM

Thanks

YES PLEASE!PORTRAIT.................

topherus
06-10-2008, 07:23 AM
I just heard about this contest and I feel bad to not participate in this kind of contest.
I would like to ask if its possible to submit my entry on the last date of submission.

Please......thanks

MarkSnoswell
06-10-2008, 07:30 AM
I just heard about this contest and I feel bad to not participate in this kind of contest.
I would like to ask if its possible to submit my entry on the last date of submission.

Please......thanks

There are no restrictions -- you can post on the last day if you want... BUT be warned that we are not responsable for any dificulties you may have uploading, or for any internet problems. I strongly advise that you try to upload at lease a day before the competition closes so you dont miss out.

MarkSnoswell
06-10-2008, 07:32 AM
YES PLEASE!PORTRAIT.................

The image format is designed for diaplay on screens. This is a requirment from the sponsor, NVIDIA. We at least picked the largest screen resolution normally in use.

topherus
06-10-2008, 07:33 AM
There are no restrictions -- you can post on the last day if you want... BUT be warned that we are not responsable for any dificulties you may have uploading, or for any internet problems. I strongly advise that you try to upload at lease a day before the competition closes so you dont miss out.

Thanks a lot, I will do that.

topherus
06-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Hi,

I have a couple of questions;

1.) The size of the image to be submitted, is it 300dpi 2560 x 16000?
2.) Can I submit multiple images?

Thanks in advance

MarkSnoswell
06-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Hi,

I have a couple of questions;

1.) The size of the image to be submitted, is it 300dpi 2560 x 16000?
2.) Can I submit multiple images?

Thanks in advance

1. The DPI doesnt matter -- you have the resolution correct 2560 x 1600

2. Yes. you can make as many separate entries as you like.

topherus
06-13-2008, 11:49 PM
1. The DPI doesnt matter -- you have the resolution correct 2560 x 1600

2. Yes. you can make as many separate entries as you like.

Thanks a lot....

topherus
06-14-2008, 12:09 AM
Mark,

I was trying to post a new thread under my name on the forum for this contest but I dont know why I cannot go through, its not accepting every time I tried to click the "post new thread", why it is happening?

Sorry, I have found the answer, I need to upload my finish image first I think.......

Many thanks

Topherus

phoenix1
06-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi,

I have a couple of question here

- Can we post our work in the portfolio gallery?

- I can see in the front page that Ballistic call for entries regarding exotique 4 , are we allowed to post our work in this contest to exotique 4 ?... If not, can we do that after the end of the contest or after the announcement of the winners ?

Regards

salmonmoose
06-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Hi,

I have a couple of question here

- Can we post our work in the portfolio gallery?

- I can see in the front page that Ballistic call for entries regarding exotique 4 , are we allowed to post our work in this contest to exotique 4 ?... If not, can we do that after the end of the contest or after the announcement of the winners ?

Regards

Yes,
and Yes.

In fact, please do.

salmonmoose
06-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Mark,

I was trying to post a new thread under my name on the forum for this contest but I dont know why I cannot go through, its not accepting every time I tried to click the "post new thread", why it is happening?

Sorry, I have found the answer, I need to upload my finish image first I think.......

Many thanks

Topherus

Go to the submit entry page.

MrHappy
06-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if it would be ok to post a copy of my entries on my own website, as I am currently having a portfolio website made? If it is not ok just now, what date would be the earliest that I could upload them to my own site?

Thanks

eonridr
06-17-2008, 01:51 PM
hi, my question is whether the deadline on 19th june 2359 hours or 18th june 2359 hours? thx i assume its the latter, but thx anyway.

DozerDozer
06-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Hello,

I'm new here & just knew about this. My question is, as addition to Eonridr's Q:

What time zone are you using (for the deadline)? I believe CGSociety is Australian based, so are you using GMT+10? That means the deadline is sooner.

I want to join this, but I dont know if I can full a decent entry in a day.

Thank you.

DozerDozer
06-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Hello,

I'm a new member here.
How can I join? Why cant I post new thread?