PDA

View Full Version : Could World of Warcraft be the world's biggest corporation?

RobertoOrtiz
04-14-2008, 06:22 AM
Yahoo news is reporting that Blizzard Entertainment, the makers of the popular MMO World of War craft might be the world's biggest corporation.
Hyperbole?
Tell us...

http://us.i1.yimg.com/videogames.yahoo.com/feature/wow-inc-/1203104

-R

Kabab
04-14-2008, 06:54 AM
This bit made me laugh

"Mike Smith holds shares of none of the companies mentioned in this article. His gnome alter-ego does have a holding of Essence of Air, however, which he's stockpiling in anticipation of the release of Warcraft's next expansion, Wrath of the Lich King. Consult an independent financial advisor before making any investments, the value of your Frostmourne (http://www.wowwiki.com/Frostmourne#In_World_of_Warcraft) may go down as well as up, and don't give your money to any unlicensed goblins."

Rod Seffen
04-14-2008, 10:59 AM
The extreme success of Warcraft just goes to prove that you can sell anything to the right kind of idiots.

Baltasound
04-14-2008, 11:28 AM
The extreme success of Warcraft just goes to prove that you can sell anything to the right kind of idiots.

Thanks man, appreciate it. :blush:

Szos
04-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Good lord it must be a slow news day.

Who writes this drivel?

10 million players - that's 10 million customers. That does not equate to being a corporation. Hell, with that retarded logic, we could say that someone like CocaCola is the world's largest corporation because people consume a can of Coke every day, or is it McDonald's because they have served billions and billions of meals.

ThirdEye
04-14-2008, 11:55 AM

Will you stop insulting people?

mushroomgod
04-14-2008, 12:28 PM

I agree, youre attitude sucks sometimes oDDity.

sk3d
04-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Seems like he comes on here just too piss people off.

Pufferfish
04-14-2008, 01:24 PM

Sounds like someone got seriously ganked.

cresshead
04-14-2008, 02:04 PM

i think 'odd' may have something there..:thumbsup:

10million geeks pretending to live out their alter ego's as a gnome!

really...?...i'd prefer to be something 'cool' in a game not a garden ornament sat next to a weed filled pond!

:thumbsup:

Puzzle3d
04-14-2008, 02:48 PM

10million geeks pretending to live out their alter ego's as a gnome!
:thumbsup:
Lol, good one, Sorta like how many of the geeks here in 3d sculpterville work out their homoerotic(neurotic?!?) impulses with hour after hour, day after day, of massaging the vertexes of imaginary naked men copied from the "rock hard" statues of other naked men.
I'm not talking about you Cress.....
I can hardly wait to read how this thread builds up!

iatriki
04-14-2008, 03:23 PM
pixie dust

RobertoOrtiz
04-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Guys lets get back on topic...

The article does have a point.
The virtual world Warcraft has a HUGE virtual economy.
-R

sk3d
04-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Sorry, having a bad day at work.:hmm:

On topic, this article doesnt really make sense, these people playing WOW are customers, not employees, so the whole article seems errr....flawed:shrug:

spurcell
04-14-2008, 06:35 PM
I love the WoW economy. I bot chars and grind gold to sell to people.

factoid: The majority of gold sellers in WoW are NOT from asia....

Maverynthia
04-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Lol, good one, Sorta like how many of the geeks here in 3d sculpterville work out their homoerotic(neurotic?!?) impulses with hour after hour, day after day, of massaging the vertexes of imaginary naked men copied from the "rock hard" statues of other naked men.
I'm not talking about you Cress.....
I can hardly wait to read how this thread builds up!

I find this quote odd as I see nothing but naked chick after naked chick being tossed out there. Hrm...I must have failed anatomy to think women have breasts...

Speaking of which I wonder if they are including all the bot accounts into that number. I hope they don't do a statistic for sex/player based off of characters..speaking of naked chicks.

ThirdEye
04-15-2008, 01:02 AM
10million geeks pretending to live out their alter ego's as a gnome! really...?...i'd prefer to be something 'cool' in a game not a garden ornament sat next to a weed filled pond!

Whatever. Who the hell is he (or who the hell am I) to spit insults out that way?

Kanga
04-15-2008, 01:13 AM
I think these questions are interesting to say the least. What is the value of a bunch of lights that go on or off in quick succession. I think it was here that I read some fellow killed a friend because he borrowed his virtual sword (which he won somehow) and sold it. There ensued a discussion about the value of a virtual item.

My take is that indeed our actual system is also an intelectual exersise where nothing of real value changes hands (I worked a week for you so that will be 3 pigs and a chicken for the overtime :scream: ). Wasn't there a chap who bought up large areas in 2nd life and got rich from it? If so then casting aspertions on the fellows level of intelligence is mute, because the money he made off his activities is real,...

err, I think:eek:
Chris

Edit: The work we make on a computer,... is it real or is it merely virtual (places hand on monitor, oooooommmmm)?

Bonedaddy
04-15-2008, 01:38 AM
I'd like to think that my entire existence is actually just a character being played by a gnome somewhere.

erilaz
04-15-2008, 01:50 AM
I'd like to think that my entire existence is actually just a character being played by a gnome somewhere.

World of Artistic Overtime brought to you by Studio Deadline Entertainment.

Choose from 6 character classes! Animator, TD, Project Manager, Modeller, Concept Artist, and the all new Intern class!
Enter vast dark dungeons of sectioned off cubicles filled with relics of past TV shows.
Grind your levels of tweakage while fighting off the terrors of client whimsy and RSI.
Pay per play gaming means you'll never go home!

:D

ingramworks
04-15-2008, 01:57 AM
World of Artistic Overtime brought to you by Studio Deadline Entertainment.

Choose from 6 character classes! Animator, TD, Project Manager, Modeller, Concept Artist, and the all new Intern class!
Enter vast dark dungeons of sectioned off cubicles filled with relics of past TV shows.
Grind your levels of tweakage while fighting off the terrors of client whimsy and RSI.
Pay per play gaming means you'll never go home!
:D

Ha, brilliant!

Michael5188
04-15-2008, 05:18 PM

Brilliant.

yenvalmar
04-16-2008, 02:21 AM
the question of if a game economy is a real economy is if the money has some actual value you can use to buy food. the exchange rate between time spent in warcraft and real money i suspect isnt a very good deal compared to many other jobs.

MrPositive
04-16-2008, 04:46 AM

Hahaha classic. Regardless, I know some pretty cool dudes that WoW it up every weekday night after full time jobs and they also do just fine with the ladies on the weekend. So that idiot/geek/nerd stereotype isn't fitting with my experiences of those playing WoW. Let's face it, women are becoming lazy as dirt in America and you have to pass the time doing something during the week nights. I choose 3D art, forums to express myself, and Mass Effect/Assasins Creed/ Call of Duty 4......others just choose WoW...shrug.

Puzzle3d
04-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I find this quote odd as I see nothing but naked chick after naked chick being tossed out there. Hrm...I must have failed anatomy to think women have breasts...

Speaking of which I wonder if they are including all the bot accounts into that number. I hope they don't do a statistic for sex/player based off of characters..speaking of naked chicks.

The phrase, "nothing but" seems a tad unrealistic, and impossible to justify, whereas my term "many" fits the bill and can easily be justified. Also, you simply failed to grasp what/who my statement was directed at, anyway.....

I've got 2 level 70 wow tunes, I no longer play, but one thing I did notice, in my experience I never heard a female voice coming through voice chat that was attached to a male toon, ever, but, I heard plenty of male voices attached to female toons. I'm sure Blizz has a "spread" sheet that could shed some light on the stat!

Baltasound
04-16-2008, 06:44 PM
I love the WoW economy. I bot chars and grind gold to sell to people.

factoid: The majority of gold sellers in WoW are NOT from asia....

This is illigal and against the rules of Blizzard. You are violating there terms of agreement. Better not post stuff like this again...

spurcell
04-16-2008, 06:56 PM
This is illigal and against the rules of Blizzard. You are violating there terms of agreement. Better not post stuff like this again...

Just to be clear, I was joking, I've never sold a single piece of gold. But please tell me, how is it illegal?

Silvermyst
04-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you hit "I agree" to the two pages of legal jargon, there's a section in there about making profit off Blizzard's property, ie. gold, characters, items, etc. So in selling gold you'd be breaking the terms of use which is illegal isn't it?

There's some legal loophole though which allows companies to buy and sell gold without much fear for reprocussion from Blizzard's legal team though. I'm no lawyer so I don't pretend to be a good knowledge on the subject.

spurcell
04-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you hit "I agree" to the two pages of legal jargon, there's a section in there about making profit off Blizzard's property, ie. gold, characters, items, etc. So in selling gold you'd be breaking the terms of use which is illegal isn't it?

There's some legal loophole though which allows companies to buy and sell gold without much fear for reprocussion from Blizzard's legal team though. I'm no lawyer so I don't pretend to be a good knowledge on the subject.

Sorry your confusing things. Semantics mostly. Breaking the terms of agreement on a game is not breaking a law. You can't be prosecuted, you won't go to jail. Now if you do dastardly things that resulted from you breaking the terms of agreement, you might have broken a law, it depends on what you did. Selling gold is hardly illegal.

Puzzle3d
04-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Sorry your confusing things. Semantics mostly. Breaking the terms of agreement on a game is not breaking a law. You can't be prosecuted, you won't go to jail. Now if you do dastardly things that resulted from you breaking the terms of agreement, you might have broken a law, it depends on what you did. Selling gold is hardly illegal.

Exactly, you cant go to jail, Blizz simple has the option of canceling their end on the user agreement, a.k.a. suspend/close your account.

Silvermyst
04-18-2008, 12:14 AM
Ah, I stand corrected then :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2008, 12:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.