PDA

View Full Version : Transparency question

thaddeus
04-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Howdy, I'm having a problem in Adobe Photoshop CS (i.e., CS 1). Here's a picture of what I'm working on.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2879/examplebn8.jpg

Basically what I want is to have the space around the question mark transparent, but have the edges keep their antialiasing.

Ok, so the way I've been making images transparent is by selecting Images/Mode/Indexed Color, which seems to flatten the image but retain the transparency of the question mark layer (unlike simply using the "Flatten" feature, which seems to get rid of the transparency of the layer and assume the color of "Background"). However, when I do this, Photoshop turns the pixels on the very edge of question mark (the antialiasing pixels, as it were; see red arrows) into solid black lines, making the edges very pixelated. What I'm wondering is how do I keep Photoshop from doing this?

Also, perhaps more importantly, is this the best way to do transparency? This method seems so roundabout and bizarre and I can't believe there isn't a more sensible way to doing transparency (but I haven't been able to find an easier way, even with tutorials).

Anyway, I'd really appreciate some help, I need this thing done by tonight. Thanks in advance.http://imagecorner.sorrowind.net/172/10.png

dougoftheabaci
04-21-2008, 02:50 AM
The problem is Indexing is mostly used on GIF image. They'll save transparency but have no Alpha support. For that you need to save as a PNG. Keep it under the RGB colour space and select File then Save For Web. In there make sure it's selected as PNG-24 as the profile (normally JPEG or GIF is selected). That will save it with the Alpha information.

The only hang-up is if this is for the web it will have no real support for IE6 and only some in IE7, though it should be fine for that. That means about 10-20% of the market will have issues with your site.

All other browsers have full PNG support of course.

CGTalk Moderation
04-21-2008, 02:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.