PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Challenge : May to July, 2008

twidup
04-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Yup, in anticipation of the next challenge, here is the official thread. The challeng will beginning on May 1st, and end on June 30th.
Voting will run the week of July 1st thru July 8th.

The challenge topic is....well, to be announced in 2 weeks roughly

see you soon
-todd

ErikE
04-14-2008, 07:41 AM
cool, I am looking forward to it :D

Slimz
04-14-2008, 09:26 PM
full body cartoony character ..*hint* *hint* that is a good long time to do a full body

tel
04-15-2008, 02:23 PM
full body cartoony character ..*hint* *hint* that is a good long time to do a full body

i think the better in this thread is give all atention to a specific part of body and grow up our skill on details.

:thumbsup:

Mishiza
04-15-2008, 04:18 PM
i think the better in this thread is give all atention to a specific part of body and grow up our skill on details.

:thumbsup:

I agree, in most of the times in Films or even games you don't use the entire complex-body system to save space/rendertime/framerate

twidup
04-16-2008, 10:28 PM
I will admit, I have been leaning towards a specific body part...one that will require a lot of subtle skin work, and should hopefully push your skills a bit.

-todd

Bharris
04-21-2008, 12:38 AM
This will be my first challenge to be a part of. As a rising Setup Artist I think this will be just the thing to get my feet wet.

I am very much looking forward to it.

tiru
04-23-2008, 04:18 AM
this will my first challenge.looking forward for the model...

saedAbdelhafez
04-23-2008, 11:54 AM
bring it on ..

tel
04-24-2008, 01:32 AM
all of you will really participate ?
the last one we had just two members in... :(

and we hope wich anybody left the challenge in middle

Bharris
04-24-2008, 05:57 PM
I, for one, will most definitely compete in the upcomming challange. I can't say I'm going to do awesome, this being my first competition and all, but I will do my best.

tel
04-24-2008, 11:55 PM
I, for one, will most definitely compete in the upcomming challange. I can't say I'm going to do awesome, this being my first competition and all, but I will do my best.

That is the spirit!!!:beer:

Tripple-I
04-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Im at a place right now where im not too jammed and can throw down on some challenge action

Kris00
04-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Ive been waiting for a new one to start, didnt wanna join halfway in the old ones.
Cant wait.

Slimz
04-29-2008, 11:11 PM
same here. my work load at my current job eased a bit so right now i have some free time and willing to take a crack at it.

twidup
04-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Well, I talked with the modeler earlier today, and he confirmed he could have it ready for Thursday.

as soon as I have the model converted to an OBJ, I will upload here or to my site, and send out a link and the challenge guidelines.

Right now this is scheduled for a 2 month challenge, I know people have bitched about being given so long in the past at time, but I want to give people time to actually build a rig, test it and then improve it, plus part of this challenge is going to be dealing with things that are becoming more common place in the current work environments.

-todd

tel
04-30-2008, 12:49 AM
good news.

twidup
05-01-2008, 11:04 PM
So, its May 1st, time to start teh new challenge...but the model wont be posted till later tonight(dont get it from the modeler till 630 tonight and then I am seeing Iron man a short time later) so it will be posted, along with all the challenge info about midnight tonight

-todd

tel
05-02-2008, 02:20 PM
we are waiting!

twidup
05-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Well, the modeler dropped it in my dropbox at work, so I have to take it home and upload it to my site before I can post it here, its too big to attach here.

so it will start tonight
-todd

douwvn
05-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Hi there

Where can we find the model for this rigging challange? I've looked on your site and can't find it.

I want to join in the fun.

tel
05-15-2008, 07:56 PM
http://www.toddwidup.com/downloads/mayJuneChallenge.rar

joshpurple
06-09-2008, 02:34 AM
cool, I am looking forward to it :D

I agree with Erik, 'cause he's cool :beer: .

Thank You Todd!

joshpurple
06-18-2008, 06:33 AM
(I'm posting here 'cause I don't want to mess up Paul Smith's < Pooby > wip thread; http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=216&t=643607 )

Cool! That looks like outstanding work to me, and it certainly kicks my butt! :D Just looking at that wip is a learning experience for me (Thank you!). Great looking surface-based understructure technique :cool: .

Edit: Incredible web site too!:beer: ('Wood Imp' = WOW!! All of 'em = Wow!)

pooby
06-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the compliments, joshpurple

The thing about eyes is that they shift their shape a huge amount more than you really register. And the hooded skin above the eye is REALLY hard to do well. It requires a lot of clever stuff going on to do it properly. I've never quite got it right, but my WIP is going in the right direction.
My WIP is currently only setup for the surrounding skin reacting to an eyeball moving, It hasn't even got proper blink controls but of course, it needs to also be able to scrunch up and react to facial expressions. It's a lot of work to get a truly realistic moving eye.

The goal for me is to have the skin automatically reacting to what's going on around the eye, so if the mouth smiles, it will result in the cheek rising, but the eye only reacts because it detects that the cheek has moved up, not because you have moved a 'smile slider'.
If the cheek rises but the brow is moves down, an expression measuring the distance between the brow and the cheek will drive deformers that will scrunch the eye even more and it can go quite extreme and drive displacements once it gets extreme. This is great because it works naturally once setup and you dont need to babysit it. Its almost like pushing a real face around.

This is why I drive morphs and rigging parts by measuring distances in other areas. It might sound complicated. It's really simple to do. (in XSI)
What's nice about it also is that you get most of your movement for free, and can still key on top for tweaks if you need.

joshpurple
06-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Anytime, -Thanks for the info and reply!

That makes sense to me, and your work is brilliant proof :) . I've been following along on Paul Neale's "Intermediate Rigging 4, Facial Rigging Techniques." (<--great! ) I hope to complete a bone facial rig (Max 2009).

I've just started to learn XSI (thanks to the 'Uplift Universe' Challenge offering it), and I've been very impressed. I continue to see more and more outstanding character work done with it (your work included :D ! ). It does sound complicated, but I'm very glad to hear that XSI makes it easier to do. Great to see your work, and Thanks again!

joshpurple
07-02-2008, 09:19 PM
GREAT final work Pooby! It looks and animates brilliantly. Congrats on the great work, and in completing the challenge :beer: ! ( I look forward at getting a chance to follow your lead using XSI :) )

pooby
07-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks Joshpurple, you are a gentleman.

I think I should have made mine a bit clearer in terms of what I was doing. The way you laid yours out makes it really clear what you have done.
Mine is of little use, just showing the end result. I didn't even add proper controls.

Anyway. I had a new idea for doing an eye rig today.. Maybe I'll have another go at it (despite the fact the challenge is over)

Thanks also twidup and Brian for the model and the challenge, It was a good one. It's a shame more riggers dont join in, but I'm glad I had time to play a bit with this. I learnt quite a bit.

joshpurple
07-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Thank You Pooby! :beer:

I appreciate the kind words! You get my vote! :D

twidup
07-07-2008, 07:10 AM
I thought about joining in on this one, but between work, my rigging course that is running right now, and learning to write shaders, no spare time

maybe next time..

Speaking of which, the next challenge is scheduled to run during siggraph...everyone cool with that since its only a week?

-todd

joshpurple
07-07-2008, 08:36 AM
That's a full workload, hope you get a break (Are you teaching the rigging course? <-- cool! ).

Only a week ( >gulp!< ), but -that's cool with me :) .

Garciaone
09-06-2008, 12:22 PM
The link to the model asset is down, can someone upload them for me , i would like to give this challenge a crack! Cheers

joshpurple
09-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Hi Beau / Garciaone :) ,

Here's a zip package with mb, fbx, and obj formats of the Kito model;

http://jp.joshpurple.com/KitoAll.ZIP

(the models have not been altered in any way, -just saved out to different formats using the default settings for export)

And Welcome to the forums & competition :beer: !

Garciaone
09-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Thanks that's much appreciated, Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2008, 06:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.