PDA

View Full Version : Curve deform and thickness

wannabeArtist
04-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Hello,

I have been trying to use curve deform to bend a strap that is holding a cap of an aftershave bottle and keeps it hanging in the bottle, when its open (see screenshot). I like everything else, but I keep loosing the thickness of the strap no matter how thick I make it before using curve deform, any tips how to keep it thick? (I did freeze transformations before using it, still not thick enough).
Here's the values from curve deform:
curve 1
normal 0,204
binormal 1
roll 0
curve -0,16
normal 0
binormal 0

comanche
04-14-2008, 02:50 PM
normal 0,204

Use a scaling of "1" ...

Regards,
Andreas

wannabeArtist
04-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks, tried that, but the strap is way too big if scaling is at 1.
I don't understand how this modifier works completely, you can see the original strap without the curve deform (or its muted) on the other screenshot and with the modifier in the other screenshot.
Well, would be nice to know how it works, but I guess I'll try to do the strap by extruding.

comanche
04-14-2008, 04:32 PM
You have to set the object center to one end of the geometry. Disable the operator stack from the curve deform on and place the center at one end (the start of the strap). After that enable the stack again.

BTW: it's better to use "Translation Along..." the normal instead of "Scaling Along..." the normal to keep the thickness.

wannabeArtist
04-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks, I will try to remember that. For now, I used extrusion and it looks pretty much right. I already have next question, but I move it to the modeling a bottle thread, since the title was about curve deform.

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2008, 05:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.