PDA

View Full Version : How do I get the spikey impact explosion effect with fluid?

daisukem
04-13-2008, 02:48 AM
Hello. I will be working with fluids for a project, and need some help. Basically I have to create powder explosion like a picture below.How do I get the spikey impact explosion effect with fluid? Any tips?

thank you.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8026/pwderfi2.jpg

wima
04-13-2008, 09:58 PM
I should have tried with cloud particles instead.
I think ive seen a tutorial from gnomonology doing this exact cloud.

daisukem
04-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks. Do you really think cloud particle is the way to go?.. I need to create a realistic effect like in the picture. Fluid?

phildog
04-14-2008, 12:16 AM
id go with lots and lots of particles, maybe fluids if youre feeling brave (and patient).
start with only 20 or so particles and make those particles emit other particles.
if you really want to do fluids then youd use the same technique, lots of fluid emitters.
or even particles emitting into the fluids.

(Ill try and set something up like that this week. but after thursday... a bit busy now)

Thanks. Do you really think cloud particle is the way to go?.. I need to create a realistic effect like in the picture. Fluid?

daisukem
04-14-2008, 12:24 AM
id go with lots and lots of particles, maybe fluids if youre feeling brave (and patient).
start with only 20 or so particles and make those particles emit other particles.
if you really want to do fluids then youd use the same technique, lots of fluid emitters.
or even particles emitting into the fluids.

(Ill try and set something up like that this week. but after thursday... a bit busy now)

phill, thank you. I'll try what you said.

Aikiman
04-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Hi Daisukem,

Id probably go for the particles emitting fluids also ie using the fluid shader to shade you cloudy particles and using setrange nodes to change the fluid over time, theres heaps on it in the forums.

Also have you had a look in visor under fluid examples? theres a preset called Chrysanthemums that has some interesting spikey effects, not sure how easy/hard that would be to animate though.

daisukem
04-14-2008, 01:20 AM
Thanks Aikiman I will look at the example and see what I can learn from it.

fedayi
04-14-2008, 06:37 AM
ya, i would suggest it being particle points, emmiting particle clouds, with a fluid shader on top of it. Ill have done something similar to that, but it was more of a explosion ground chunks more than cloud like that. Ill try to do a quick rig and play around with the shader. post some screens when there.

Bart_K
04-14-2008, 12:20 PM
You can never go wrong with Peter Shipkov's OVERBURN (http://petershipkov.com/development/overburn/overburn.htm)
Just fiddle around with the preset explosions, and you should be all set :)

fedayi
04-14-2008, 06:04 PM
what overburn is is afterburn for max.

its basically a quick way of attaching a fluid volume shape/shader on a particle cloud.
its has everything set up for you. so you just change values.

its easy to make one for urself, with a small quick setup, create the node and attach it to the shape, or you can go in and expertly use the particle sampler node start creating connections from the particle node to the fluids, so the particle attributes control the fluids.

But with overburn its a preset, u still have to go in and change colors, opacity, transparency and so on.

but again, its a good program, not hating on it in any way, I use it from time to time, just to play around with it and learn.

daisukem
04-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Yer thank you everyone. I will play with the overburn also when I have time.
Last night i had a few minutes to create the shape I wanted with just particles and fields. It is way easier to do with particles than just fluids..

Anyway I'll keep you guys posted. I'm new to using fluids as a shader.. How do I apply a fluid shader? How do I create it? is it 2d fluid or 3d fluid?

thanks.

fedayi
04-15-2008, 03:02 AM
open up the hypershade
in the maya nodes open the Volumetric >Fluid Shape

when u click on it it will create a container in ur scene with a cloud in it, just select ur particle cloud, and then in the Hypershade, right click on the FluidShape and select "assign fluid to selection"

and there you go, you have particle clouds with a fluid shader on it.

check out this thread
its all about fluid shader on particles, a bit old, but still mega help

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=155001&page=1&pp=15

daisukem
04-15-2008, 04:26 AM
open up the hypershade
in the maya nodes open the Volumetric >Fluid Shape

when u click on it it will create a container in ur scene with a cloud in it, just select ur particle cloud, and then in the Hypershade, right click on the FluidShape and select "assign fluid to selection"

and there you go, you have particle clouds with a fluid shader on it.

check out this thread
its all about fluid shader on particles, a bit old, but still mega help

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=155001&page=1&pp=15

I appreciate your help. :) That thread looks like a book :D

ranxx
04-18-2008, 06:30 PM
as an aside, does overburn work with maya 2008 ? The only mention on the site is for maya 7.

edit: nervermind, I just tried it and it works.

-ranxx

what overburn is is afterburn for max.

its basically a quick way of attaching a fluid volume shape/shader on a particle cloud.
its has everything set up for you. so you just change values.

its easy to make one for urself, with a small quick setup, create the node and attach it to the shape, or you can go in and expertly use the particle sampler node start creating connections from the particle node to the fluids, so the particle attributes control the fluids.

But with overburn its a preset, u still have to go in and change colors, opacity, transparency and so on.

but again, its a good program, not hating on it in any way, I use it from time to time, just to play around with it and learn.

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2008, 06:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.