PDA

View Full Version : LOST CARGO - stop motion short film, and making of...

PieterVH
04-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Hi all,

AWN is hosting LOST CARGO, a stop motion short by 2 young Belgian directors:

http://www.awntv.com/videos/lost-cargo

The story:

On his long journey, intergalactic space trucker Eugene occupies himself with mail-ordering various useless gadgets to support his lazy lifestyle. When his merchandise is attacked by a nasty disease, his little robot Han-D can no longer handle the workload. The new high-tech robot saves the merchandise at first, but when it starts taking its job too seriously, Eugene's laziness and belief in technology turn against him.

I've cobbled together a page on the making of the VFX, as I was responsible for compositing and effects and finished work on this 3 years ago.

The film contains close to 200 effect shots, including CG elements, rig removal, effects compositing, etc.

And here is a breakdown of several shots of the movie with pictures and clips and everything! :)

http://www.uptotenheavier.com/08_LC_MO/LC_MakingOf.html

Enjoy!

Pieter.

proton
04-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Brilliant!

xerious3d
04-12-2008, 10:56 PM
LOL awesome! loved it.

aesir
04-12-2008, 11:13 PM
wow, top quality. You guys should make a feature! Loved the animation style as well!

PieterVH
04-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks!

On the producer's website there's a clip of one of the directors animating, so you get a bit of a sense of the scale (and patience) involved:

http://www.illuster.nl/index_distribution.html

(Click on the top left image of Lost Cargo, then the second link at the bottom)

Would LOVE to do a feature. Maybe, one day, who knows... Definitely know a lot of things NOT to do on a larger scale now, too... ;)

webhead
04-14-2008, 03:24 PM
What a coincidence: I just saw this film over the weekend, and was telling a workmate about it, and here it is on CG Talk. Good film - enjoyed watching it.

ivanisavich
04-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Wow! I absolutely LOVED it!

Banshax
04-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Fantastic! Enjoyed it all the way.

alesmav
04-14-2008, 06:31 PM
I first saw it a few weeks ago and it immediately became one of my favourite animated shorts!

BRILLIANT!!!

Ales

Ajouz
04-14-2008, 08:24 PM
WOOW, very cool, great story, character design and animation. Well done!!

aesir
04-14-2008, 08:47 PM
wow, I did not realize that was stop motion when I first watched it... I thought you had just animated it to feel like stop motion!

PieterVH
04-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Wow, thanks guys!

@webhead & alesmav: where have you seen it? Just curious...

@aesir: you're not the first to make that comment, interestingly. It does look very clean, it's been recorded digitally as well, with a specially constructed digital camera. (and on top of that, I remember myself and Pieter Engels painting away any "dead pixels" we sometimes got, especially at low lighting conditions...). There wouldn't have been so much rig removal if it would have been CG though... ;)

webhead
04-14-2008, 11:21 PM
@webhead: where have you seen it? Just curious...

I just saw it yesterday while cruising the web for new videos before noticing you had posted about it here. I believe it was AWNtv, but when I went to watch it again today, the video quality seemed better than it was yesterday for some reason.

Nucleo
04-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey,

This was great, absolutetly amazing, I love it. How long did it take you guys to finish this? great stuff! Thanks

Andreas

HenningK
04-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Oh man, sweet. Riveted. Always appreciate the stop-mo. Thanks for the making of.

PieterVH
04-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks again!

@Andreas (others are welcome to read as well! :))

I checked with the director today to verify some numbers...

Short answer: a long time :)

Longish answer: preproduction, meaning conception, storyboards, animatic etc. took around 6 months. At the same time preparing documents for funding (and waiting for funding, lots of waiting involved there).

Finding the total budget for a short like this is far from easy. Stop motion at this level is VERY expensive. So no matter what you can get, you end up stretching everything you have thin to get it done in the end, but that's as much part of doing animated shorts as anything else I guess...

Then, production. The total time spent in the animation studio, from starting building the first set until the last frame was shot took exactly one year. One year of very, very hard work and loooong days.

Post production, I spent around 6 months doing all the effects and rig removal. Almost 200 (!) shots in all, in 2K resolution. Every time you see the main character or the big robot, think massive metal rigs. In a set that (i)moves(/i), because lots of those were made of metal as well, and sets get HOT when they're lit. And metal expands and contracts because of temperature. Think shadows, reflections and light bouncing off all those rigs as well... and think computing power 4 years ago. Anyway, you get the point. :)

Sound and editing, another few months. Plus some bits and bobs here and there.

So all things together, the film took between 2 and 2 and a half years to make.

I will try and get some more material together about this, and put it online as well. Will not be for the first couple of days, but I'll make sure to mention it here!

Cheers,
Pieter.

CGTalk Moderation
04-16-2008, 09:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.