PDA

View Full Version : LOST CARGO - making of...

PieterVH
04-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Hi all,

I've cobbled together a page on the making of the VFX of Lost Cargo, a stop motion animated short. I was responsible for compositing and effects and finished work on this 3 years ago. I've been waiting for it to turn up online ever since. So far the movie has done very well (and still is) at festivals all over the world - so some of you might have already spotted it!

Now it has! On AWN, here's the short:

http://www.awntv.com/videos/lost-cargo

The story:

On his long journey, intergalactic space trucker Eugene occupies himself with mail-ordering various useless gadgets to support his lazy lifestyle. When his merchandise is attacked by a nasty disease, his little robot Han-D can no longer handle the workload. The new high-tech robot saves the merchandise at first, but when it starts taking its job too seriously, Eugene's laziness and belief in technology turn against him.

The film contains close to 200 effect shots, including CG elements, rig removal, effects compositing, etc.

And here is a breakdown of several shots of the movie with pictures and clips and everything! :)

http://www.uptotenheavier.com/08_LC_MO/LC_MakingOf.html

Enjoy!

Pieter.

JohnnyRandom
04-13-2008, 12:28 AM
I have only seen the trailer but excellent work :) thanks for sharing!

I have always liked stop-motion. Ever since seeing them animate the Tauntauns in Empire Strikes Back have had a great deal of respect for the time and patience it takes to do.

Cheers, hope to see the whole thing someday:)

biliousfrog
04-17-2008, 02:51 PM
bah...I thought that this was a "making of" for the TV series Lost....:sad:

thanks anyway:)

leif3d
05-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Wow!, That's a really great job man.

Too bad all your files are version 4...I'm just learning Fusion, so It would've been great to study your comps...

Maybe some new turotials or something from new projects in version 5? One can only hope:)

Good luck!

PieterVH
05-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Wow!, That's a really great job man.

Too bad all your files are version 4...I'm just learning Fusion, so It would've been great to study your comps...

Maybe some new turotials or something from new projects in version 5? One can only hope:)

Good luck!

Hi Leif,

Thanks! I had to wait until the short was released for general viewing before I could show all of that off. Took a while as you can see... :)

The comps are still quite relevant, really. The basic concepts haven't changed. So you can hopefully get some useful info out of them. The big difference, admittedly, is the fact that masks are separate nodes now in Fu5, which belies the fact that these v4 comps do have some seriously complex masking in them...

That said, I am planning something similar but a LOT bigger for in a few months time, likely somewhere around September. Still a long wait away, but I dare to believe it'll be worth it! ;)

Cheers,
Pieter.

leif3d
05-12-2008, 06:50 AM
That said, I am planning something similar but a LOT bigger for in a few months time, likely somewhere around September. Still a long wait away, but I dare to believe it'll be worth it! ;)

Are you thinking of posting all kinds of "making of" material as well?
If so, I can't wait Pieter!

Good luck with that.:)

PieterVH
05-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Are you thinking of posting all kinds of "making of" material as well?
If so, I can't wait Pieter!

Good luck with that.:)

That's exactly what I'm thinking... :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-12-2008, 09:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.