PDA

View Full Version : Major confusion over Eyedropper tool and Foreground / Background color selections...

rluto77
04-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Hello, I'm currently using Photoshop CS2 and a Wacom tablet for painting. I'm having a problem that is driving me nuts and I cant seem to figure out how to correct it anywhere.

So I've been watching a few painting videos and they are using the same version of Photoshop that I am. The issue I'm having is that whenever I try to use my keyboard shortcut or my Wacom button shortcut for the eyedropper (currently set to "Alt") it will select the color but it makes it the background color.

Whenever I physically click on the eyedropper tool and select a color it makes it the foreground color, which is what I want it to do but I want to be able to do this with shortcuts both on the keyboard and on the Wacom.

Does anyone know how to do this? It is driving me crazy and holding me up on a few projects that I want to start. Physically moving the mouse over to the eyedropper, then back to the brush just takes to long and hurts my flow in painting. Any help is VERY MUCH appreciated!

Quadart
04-12-2008, 06:00 PM
The fix might be as simple as clicking on the upper left (foreground color) box overlapping the background color box in the color window. You may have to reset the Wacom shortcut too. The problem you’re having seems like it should effect the direct use of the eyedropper tool as well as the shortcuts.

rluto77
04-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Well now when I try to just use the mouse and the Alt keyboard shortcut it selects a new color but makes it the background color, not the foreground color. I'm really at a loss here.

TimothyB
04-23-2008, 04:57 AM
I was just trying this stuff after reading, as I've always been annoid how the eyedropper goes to the background with the shortcut while using other tools at work.

But I just restarted CS3 and tried the eyedropper tool and just clicking still goes to the background. ANd with the info tab open, it clearly states clicking the image will choose a new foreground color, but that's not true. With the tool selected, then holding alt, it says clicking will now go to the background, but again, opposite, it goes to the foreground.

I notice when using say a brush, and holding alt for the eyedropper, it clearly states foreground will be picked, but like the poster said, it goes to the background.

Why is this all reversed and contradicting what PS says in the info box?

Luckily the "x" key next to alt swaps the colors around when this happens.

leigh
04-23-2008, 12:12 PM
The fix might be as simple as clicking on the upper left (foreground color) box overlapping the background color box in the color window.

This is exactly what fixes it. If I had a penny for everytime this question has been posted...

TimothyB
04-24-2008, 04:49 AM
This is exactly what fixes it. If I had a penny for everytime this question has been posted...

Ah, I see, I kept reading too fast and assumed he meant on the toolbar. Never thought to look at the actual color window and click the overlapping fore/background boxes. So I guess that overrides the eyedropper's normal function. Does it say that anywhere in the manual?

CGTalk Moderation
04-24-2008, 04:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.