PDA

View Full Version : envolope gets screwed

John Keates
04-12-2008, 12:01 AM
I am envoloping the body of a monster with many seperate limbs coming off it that are already rigged, and I want to use some of the bones of those parts to deform the body.

The problem is that, when I select bones for envoloping that are controling the limbs, the envoloping gets screwed (as per attached image).

I guess one work around might be to duplicate the bones I want to use and constrain the duplicates to the original but it would be much better to tackle the problem at root.

Thanks in advance for replies.

tc
04-12-2008, 08:03 PM
thats a weird one...
so hows your mesh before envelope? do you have any other operators? do you have clusters on it assigned to any shape/envelopes?
In the object construction mode, see where the envelope operator is added (should be on animation mode)... see if there's anything else on top of that.
hows the scale of your object, the neutral pose... etc?
is the rig inside the same model?
quite a lot of things to check heh.

Send me your model, maybe I can take a look thiagocosta3d@gmail.com

ThE_JacO
04-13-2008, 06:28 AM
the problem is most likely that your bones rest pose is different from the pose you select them to envelope a mesh that you consider default.
You can select all the deformers and set their default pose/rest state if that's the case, but if another envelope that is already fine is using the same deformers, the problem will feed back to that one, in which case you might find yourself having to freeze that geo in the current state and reapplying the envelope, so both will share the same default.

John Keates
04-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the posts guys. I tried doing things like freezing transformations on things but in the end I decided that the work-around of duplicating the bones and contstraining them to the originals then envoloping from the duplicates is not such a bad option. I would love to have a deeper understanding of the cause (I struggle to understand your descriptions) but the clock ticks and I just need to get this done.

Thanks again.

ThE_JacO
04-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Freezing transforms is different from setting a rest/default state.
If you think of the envelope deformers it needs a default state to link to the mesh, so that points will know when the deformer has been moved from its original state and by how much.
Such state is an object property, so once set it will affect all envelopes using that deformer.

Playing a bit with a couple enveloped spheres (enveloped with the joints in different states) and moving things around and setting a state for them might get you to that "aaaahhhh" moment.

John Keates
04-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Hmmm... I think I get what you mean. It uccured to me that the vertices that were screwed were ones that were being assigned to bones that had been rotated after geometry had been envoloped to them. I will take your advice and mess with some spheres (poor old spheres).

John Keates
04-15-2008, 12:34 AM
I have a new question and I thought I may as well put it in this thread:

I have a spine deformer that I am using on some geometry and I want the spine curve to move with the bone that controls that part of the model. If I make the curve a child of that bone or use constraints to keep it with the bone, I get a double transformation on the geometry. I found that I can avoid the double transformation by having the spine curve as a child of the geometry that it is moving (i guess the geometry moves depending on how much the spine moves compared to the geometries pivot).

However, what if I want more than one deformer, each moving with its own bone? I can't make the geometry a child of two bones at the same time...

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2008, 12:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.