PDA

View Full Version : Cordrazines' 'CRAZY' DaddyMack style

DaddyMack
04-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi guys, I created a new assignment for my students to create a music video and I am 'doing the assignment' with them. I have chosen a bent haunting song 'CRAZY' by aussie band Cordrazine from the mid 90s and ended up developing Josh (below) as my performing artiste'.

I am starting animation of my concept this week. I really need the practice and would really appreciate any insights you guys can offer on how to improve it as I go along. I plan to go final in 8 weeks with the animation. Basic premise is that Josh is singing the song seriously and passionately while his alter egos are 'playing' the music and generally harrassing him. I plan to animate no further than the 150 second mark in the track.

Here is a link to the song Crazy by Cordrazine (http://www.mack3d.com/crazy/crazy_cordrazine.mp3)

A shot or 4 of Josh in his current state

http://www.mack3d.com/crazy/joshtt1.jpg

and a wee turntable render... (http://www.mack3d.com/crazy/joshtt1.mov)

Any feedback on Josh in general is much appreciated at this point while I get up the stomach to really dig in and start animating him

:beer: Rob

DaddyMack
04-14-2008, 06:03 PM
I had this guy all rigged up using biped as my bone structure but realised finally that some of it's shortcomings are going to hinder my approach to the project so... A custom rigging we go... Hopefully the rig will be (re)done by the end o this week

More soon

antone-m
04-15-2008, 06:20 PM
waiting for more dude :beer:

DaddyMack
04-18-2008, 10:20 PM
waiting for more dude :beer:

Here's a little rough block (http://www.mack3d.com/crazy/Mack3dCrazyAnim1.mov) of the first coupla hundred frames, mostly playing with rough poses and timing but I think the vibe is coming thru already... Thanks again thebest.. for the support

I went thru the rerig and it's sooo much better to be working without cs...

Hope U like :wavey:

DaddyMack
04-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Hi guys, I've been snowed in so not had very much time to dedicate to animation... I did some more key poses and have switched them to flat just for this render test so the anim is extreemely floaty atm and basically a mess.

I will need to render this project as I'm working on it so I'm planning to final some shots and take them to cutting asap.

For now here's a snap from the vid attached of my quick and dirty render test minus hair and fur... Hope you like

http://www.mack3d.com/crazy/rentest1.jpg

Here's the vid of the render test... (http://www.mack3d.com/crazy/MackCrazyRentest1.mov) Would really appreciate any C+C on the render quality atm:beer:

yuriythebest
04-27-2008, 07:45 PM
the character's head is simply amazing, 10/10, regarding the suit- since it is drawn on why not add some scratches (make the paint chip away in some places). The mouth animation is awesome- the teeth are done very well. Try to improve the air keyboard though- get reference videos of people playing the piano- doesn't look very realistic at this time.

DaddyMack
05-02-2008, 10:32 AM
yuriythebest.. Hey thanks for chiming in here mate, glad you like his head and I'll be messing his shirt up a bit b4 final renders start:beer: I've researched a bit and redone the piano anim... Will upload soon, thanks for the great advice

I'll up a load soon:wavey:

DaddyMack
05-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Here's a cool update guys, (http://www.mack3d.com/crazy/MackCrazytest2.mov) the tone is really starting to be set now and I'm gonna try put my head down and run the gauntlet to get the rest done... Will really appreciate any critiques at this point.:beer:

Capel
05-07-2008, 07:37 PM
hmmm... well the model looks great. as for the animation, it really looks like you've bitten off more than you can chew. the lip sync isn't bad at all, but everything else is.... how do i put this? ....ungood. no offense, but i'm assuming you pride yourself more on your modeling and texturing rather than your animation so i hope this doesn't offend.

if you really want to make it sing (no pun intended) you should take like ten seconds of what you have and really try to refine it. right now it's clear that your characters are just moving from key to key with no real personality. it's very linear and there's no weight, anticipation, etc.

a general note would be to pick up the Animator's Survival Kit and start at the beginning with the bouncing ball. you can really learn a lot about animation principles from beginner exercises.

DaddyMack
05-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Capel.. Humblest thanks for the b1tchslap mate:beer: I appreciate your honesty a great deal

I made a choice with this project to do 150 seconds of OK animation instead of a shorter amount of great animation. Animation is a real weak point in my skillset still and my workflow is messy. I have made some changes based on your input

I have chosen to disamappear all other characters for the middle third of the song so I can focus on the lead singer

The rest of the lead will be animated in a more pose to pose workflow rather than my straight ahead leaning hybrid method

I am revising all animation in 15 second chunks and working the weakest areas of each

I am considering extending my deadline further to really give the animation the attention it deserves

I am actually gonna open the curve editor and tweek my ins and outs

The sad thing is that I've read all the books, I know all of the theory but I never spend enough time on the details... Even though you were O so gentle Capel.. your post really stung and drove forth the message that I'm not quite pulling this off yet:bowdown: Thanks... Back soon

DaddyMack
05-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Ok.. here's the first 15 seconds of the animation after 3 hours of refining... (http://www.mack3d.com/crazy/CrazyFirst15v1.mov) Please be as harsh as you feel necessary in criticising it... Any insights greatly appreciated

handlebar
05-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Great concept DM, i like the character a lot, but i do have a few suggestions. The first is that the ears are a little under done compared with the rest of the character, i don't think you need full blown realistic ears but just a little something to suggest a bit more form.
My second suggestion is that the forehead creases are a little too pronounced, i say this because they distract from the focus of the characters eyes. The eyes should be the dominant way to express emotion, just needs a bit of balance that's all.
Also youtube some Tom Waits vids, he's the master of all things down and out and is full of expression and emotion, might help a bit with the anim.
Top work DM, it's great to see what your getting up to.

H

Capel
05-14-2008, 10:37 PM
It's looking a lot better. not nearly as floaty as before. there are still some areas that hit a little too hard. like if you look at his right arm around frame 223 - 225. it moves over two or three frames and just stops, like it's hitting a wall. looks really unappealing. you'll notice that he does that with his head and body a few times throughout the animation as well. i'd soften those areas.

also, his mouth movement seems really unmotivated. i'd tone it down a lot. if he's just playing piano, he's not going to be opening his mouth wide just for the sake of opening it. make sure there's a motivation to every move he makes.

as for the fingers, i'd curl them more to look like he's actually hitting keys on a piano. right now they're all flat and it makes the model look kind of amateurish, which it isn't.

also, the starting pose of his left hand at the start of the shot looks really unnatural. either look at some reference or act it out yourself and you'll see that it needs to be more relaxed. if you're working in Maya, a good thing to do is to hit 6 to see what your character's silhouette is doing. if you can't make the pose out just by looking at the silhouette then there's something wrong. also, as the left hand moves up to play it's first note it stops for a few frames, then starts moving again on it's way there. not sure how this got past you but it totally looks like a mistake.

having said all that, though, it's looking way better. keep on truckin.

DaddyMack
08-30-2008, 08:44 PM
been a few months distracting myself from this but it has to be made so I'll be posting some progress soon:)

joshpurple
08-30-2008, 08:52 PM
( Cool! Keep up the good work! :beer: )

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2008, 08:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.