PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Skin Weights Option

crocostimpy
04-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Hey all,
I'm following a tutorial on rigging and painting weights and when I get to the part of mirroring weights, there's an option in the video that I dont have. In the video, when the Mirror Skin Weights Option box is selected, an option to change "Influence Association 1" and "Influence Association 2" is there. I however do not have the option. I am using Maya 8 and the Digital Tutors might be using 2008. Is there the same option in 8? Thanks so much.

BTW, the tutorial is Rigging Quadrupeds.

Thanks, Eric

NolanSW
04-11-2008, 08:09 PM
I don't believe these options are available in ver 8. I think just 8.5+. For mirroring weights, my tried and true way is to select the verts from both source and destination and hit the apply button for mirroring wieghts. Seems to work better at the component level than doing it in object mode. I think those options in 2008 basically do the samething I describe but without selecting the verts. Give it a go and see if that works.

crocostimpy
04-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Alright, I was afraid of that. But I'll give your method a try and see how it works. I just hope I don't have to paint the weights all over again :/

instruct9r
04-12-2008, 11:19 AM
The new options work far better for non Symetrical meshes... but for symetrical (which is the Quadruped you are rigging i guess) the old MirrorWeights works just fine :).. so you shoudn't be affraid of that

Geuse
04-12-2008, 12:00 PM
There also a script I use instead of maya's own mirror weights function since it doesn't work to well(using maya 7.0)
search for mirrorweights on highend 3d and u should be able to find it.

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2008, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.