PDA

View Full Version : Prime Focus Purchases 1000 Seats Of Fusion

andyhalls123
04-11-2008, 10:45 AM
India’s leading end-to-end post production company, Prime Focus Limited, has invested in eyeon Fusion® with the unprecedented purchase and installation of 1000 seats worldwide, making them the world’s largest Fusion facility.

<<Link>> (http://www.cgarena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=47479)

DoubleSupercool
04-11-2008, 02:56 PM
That's an awful lot of fusion.

Just out of interest, what is the average hourly rate in India in USD?

Rod Seffen
04-11-2008, 03:01 PM
That's irrelevant unless you also know the cost of living expenses in India as a comparison to the US.

^Lele^
04-11-2008, 03:10 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-567004.html

India-based Prime Focus Group has expanded its reach into North America with the acquisitions of Post Logic Studios and Frantic Films VFX. Terms were not disclosed and the structure of these acquisitions is yet to be finalized.

Frantic Films also operates live-action production/post-production facilities and a television commercial division that will not be a part of this acquisition, and will continue to operate independently out of Winnipeg and Toronto, Canada.

Prime Focus currently owns six visual effects and post-production facilities across India and four facilities in London. Now it will add new facilities in Los Angeles, New York, Vancouver and Winnipeg, along with ownership of 55,000 square feet of prime real estate in Hollywood and 200 new staff members. Prime Focus Group facilities in India service the country's thriving $2 billion film industry; its London facilities service European film and television projects and in North America will continue to service the domestic film market.

Prime Focus Group plans to continue operations of both Post Logic Studios and Frantic Films as independent facilities, providing both companies access to a talent pool of more than 400 vfx artists worldwide.

I guess all that fusion'll be needed :)

DoubleSupercool
04-11-2008, 03:42 PM
That's irrelevant unless you also know the cost of living expenses in India as a comparison to the US.

Why is it irrelevant? The company will be bidding on and being paid for jobs in the USA and UK and paying Indian wages. I am curious to know how much a company would be outlaying in labour compared to say, ohhhh, the UK. Obviously they have a lot of artists in other countries as well.

Like I said, 1000 seats of fusion spread throughout their many facilities worldwide is a lot of fusion. Just curious is all.

ihavenofish
04-11-2008, 04:43 PM
wages in india are in the $8-$12us an hour range for a general intermediate animator.

to compare, the same level of job in toronto makes $15-$25, in winnipeg $10-$18, kansas city $8-$15, shanghai china about $10-$16.

it varies city to city based on cost of living, competition, demand, and tax incentives, etc.

theres alot of tax incentives in toronto for example, so we can pay a little more, and still bid lower. which is helpful because the cost of living is quite high.

so even in india, 1000 seats of fusion is dwarfed by the price of labour.

sacslacker
04-11-2008, 04:47 PM
*pinky to mouth*

Why buy a billion when you could buy a million!!!

TheWraith
04-11-2008, 10:57 PM
to compare, the same level of job in toronto makes $15-$25, in winnipeg $10-$18, kansas city $8-$15, shanghai china about $10-$16.

where did you get those numbers? kansas city is just as low as india???

rcronin
04-12-2008, 03:59 AM
funny enough, payscale.com used to have a salary study at

http://www.payscale.com/research/IN/Job=Animator%2c_3D/Salary

...but now it is removed and it says "Sorry, we could not find data...."
but I can tell you with certainty (I posted it in my blog at the time) that the
average salary for a 3d animator in India was $8,554.69 USD/year. Yes, per year.
How convenient that there is no chart now.

The USA one is still there though...

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Animator%2c_3D/Salary

and if you look at a senior software engineer at 581,853 Rs ($14568.14 USD) per year, can you blame n.american businesses who outsource?

http://www.payscale.com/research/IN/Country=India/Salary

R.

robcat2075
04-12-2008, 09:35 PM
to compare ... kansas city $8-$15

Geez, a greeter at Wal-mart makes more than $8.

But of course they're the first line of defense against terrorist attack so I guess they deserve it.

sconlogue
04-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Ya, that kansas number looks low. But Kansas? Is there a thriving animation industry in Kansas I don't know about? How about a number from say... I don't know... California? I'm in Maine and the few animators out here ain't workin for $10/hour. That being said it is extremely hard to compare wages/costs between countries. Not only are their economic differences but cultural as well.

ThE_JacO
04-16-2008, 02:34 PM

No it's not.
Stop assuming you can outthink everybody. Plenty cases in which just knowing the cost of manpower is interesting.
Where you only think in terms of asking the question for wanting to work there, other people might not want to know the net income of somebody in India as much wanting to know their cost and tax impact and how it relates to other expenses, in which case the question is perfectly legit and actually quite interesting.

Can you please stop being so negative and destructive in every-single-post you make and start thinking that, just occasionally, you might not be the only person in the world with a brain? It got old and tiring a while ago, and it brings nothing to these forums.

I for one would like to read the answer to that from somebody who's currently in an Inidan working environment.

TMHAT
04-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Hi

I'm not in India, but Bangladesh, so its about the same thing here just even cheaper. I cannot disclose precise salary information (corporate policy etc.), but if I paid a guy here 9000 USD a year he would be earning about the same as a branch mangager in a bank. As you can guess we are not paying that, but here an average 3D artist is paid as well as a senior programmer.
It is not the same as saying that it is a great and fantastic life being a modellor here. Its just a good job compared many other things here. The average standard of living is just significant lower than in the "western world".
The "greeter at wall-mart" would get less than 500 usd per year (you can do the hourly yourself)..

Claus

CGTalk Moderation
04-21-2008, 10:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.