PDA

View Full Version : What is a good method for generating hair motion?

waikitwan
05-12-2003, 03:34 AM
Hello,

I am having trouble animating the hair for the tail of the horse I am working on. I want to use Paint Effects for rendering the tail, but I am having problems with generatiing the motions for driving the control curves.

I have used cloth objects to simulate the tail motion and that gives pretty good results. I then create curves on the cloth objects, and with the history on I can feed the motion to the PFX control curves. This is the method in the AW how to
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Community/Learn/how_tos/paint_fx_fur/long_hair/part_one.html

The thing is, I have to simulate the cloth before connecting the control curves. The work flow doesn't allow me to tweak the hair motion by simulating the cloth again. The cloth will not run when the control curves are connected.

I was wondering if anyone know how to fix this problem or know of another method for simulating hair motion. Your help will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Waikit

larryvm
05-12-2003, 02:30 PM
you can use soft body curves and add then as control curves for the paint effects.

with 2 or 3 curves i think it can work

nemirc
05-12-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by larryvm
you can use soft body curves and add then as control curves for the paint effects.

with 2 or 3 curves i think it can work

That's what I did to animate the ponitail for one of my characters some time ago and it worked pretty well :bounce:

waikitwan
05-12-2003, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys, I will give the soft body dynamics a try.

:thumbsup:

Waikit

nemirc
05-13-2003, 02:27 AM
Just another idea.
You could rig your tail and then animate it using a spline IK to simulate the "weaving" when the horse is on stillness. :wavey:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.