PDA

View Full Version : Painter and Leopard - 8 core

Illostraight
04-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Has anyone had any luck with Painter X and 8 core macs?

Any news on a new update for Painter if it does't work?
I use it all the time in my work and had to upgrade to a new mac. (Didn't come in yet)
I'm really hoping they do something about this. I think mac is only producing 8 core machines now.

What I've read on the older posts doesn't seem promising and there is NO WAY
to contact Corel. Which makes me wonder if they are going to stop making painter,
or are going to be bought out.

Philippec
04-11-2008, 01:52 PM

I use Painter X on a 8 core mac on a daily basis. What makes you think it won't work?

Illostraight
04-11-2008, 04:08 PM
That's GREAT to hear. All the posts here when I did a 'Leopard' search.
You've eased my mind. Thank you.

Illostraight
04-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Phil, I just posted a reply, but it didn't show up, so this might be a duplicate.
When I did a 'Leopard' search, either Google, this forum or another forum,
there was nothing positive, and the people were having problems. One user
had a blog where he tested and said it didn't work on parallel machines.

When I went on Painters site to check for downloads, it says Painter X only
goes up to 10.4, not 10.5. You are the FIRST person that said they were
using it successfully on Leopard, which is promising.

Thanks!

leigh
04-11-2008, 08:48 PM
I've got Painter X on my 8 Core Mac Pro at work, and I just don't even bother using it because it's so sluggish that working with it is painful.

Jinbrown
04-11-2008, 09:50 PM

Any news on a new update for Painter if it does't work?
I use it all the time in my work and had to upgrade to a new mac. (Didn't come in yet)
I'm really hoping they do something about this. I think mac is only producing 8 core machines now.

What I've read on the older posts doesn't seem promising and there is NO WAY
to contact Corel. Which makes me wonder if they are going to stop making painter,
or are going to be bought out.

There are a few ways to contact Corel and if the ways you've tried don't work, try one of the following (preferably both):

E-mail the Corel Painter developers at painterteam@corel.com

At The PainterFactory (http://painterfactory.com/) - Corel's new Painter community forums (and more):

If you have a technical problem or bug to report, or for any technical questions, post a clear and concise message in the Got a Question? forum. Both experienced Painter users and people from the Corel Painter development team read and, when they have the time, the developers respond to these posts.

If you want to suggest or request an enhancment to Corel Painter or request that a bug be fixed, post a message in the Suggestion Box forum.

When you join The PainterFactory, be sure to read all of the other threads in the Got a Question? forum as there are several related to problems with Painter X used with Mac OS Leopard.

#

Illostraight
04-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Jin,

I did post on the PaintFactory, and never got an answer.
Since the PaintFactory is Corel's 'communication' site, it make me more leary that there
might not be plans to update the software. I will try the tech address you
posted.

Thanks.

Illostraight
04-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Anyone tried Painter IX on the 8 core? I'm grabbing for straws to make it work. :)

Jinbrown
04-14-2008, 01:17 AM
Jin,

I did post on the PaintFactory, and never got an answer.
Since the PaintFactory is Corel's 'communication' site, it make me more leary that there
might not be plans to update the software. I will try the tech address you
posted.

Thanks.

Hi,

If you don't get a response at The PainterFactory, be persistent and bump the thread up to the top again. Do this in addition to contacting the Corel Painter development team directly via the e-mail address I provided earlier.

Corel needs to know when users are having problems and especially when they're not getting helpful responses (often none at all) from Corel.

Good luck!

#

jwaller05
04-14-2008, 03:26 AM
I use Painter on an 8 core mac and it runs smooth as butter.

Illostraight
04-14-2008, 12:20 PM
jwaller, Philip (and anyone else that Painter is working for on the quad processor machines),

1) what version Painter are you using (including upgrades)?
2) How much ram do you use?
3) Have you allocated this specific program to work with one processor?
4) Are you using it thru windows OS or mac? What version of OS software, Leopard 10.5.2 or .1, Vista?

It's strange to me that some 8 cores are working and some not. I'd like to hear more specs from people that are not having problems to compare.

Jinny, I will continue to contact them. Don't you think it's odd they make it this difficult to communicate or get support with them? It's such an amazing program, not another like it.

Thanks,
Everyone:)

tomt
04-14-2008, 09:46 PM
This is perception, not necessarily fact but it seems like Painter ran faster on my old Pentium 4 3.2 gigaherz machine rather than my new 2.4 dual core machine. The problem seems to be that Painter only runs on one processsor and doesn't support multi cores as of yet. These are Windows machines.

Illostraight
04-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Tom,

My older computer is a dual G4 mac, and it runs fine on that. So I don't know. Maybe the new ones are faster, or they use another language? I don't know about this stuff. I'm hoping to figure it out here.

kraal
04-16-2008, 02:58 AM
painter works fine in leopard........ btw the 8 core are still over kill at this point because software does not use all the cores to it potential

Illostraight
04-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Hello;

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding use of Painter X on a Mac Pro, 8 core with Leopard.

On speaking with Technical Support agent, I have been advised that the issue lies in the amount of ram on your system. Anything above 4 -gigs of ram will cause Painter X to run oppositionally more slowly. As such, this is not really an issue involving an upgrade per se.

I apologize that I was not able to provide resolution to your inquiry.

Regards,

Susan Baxter
Corel CustomerCare

brenly
04-30-2008, 10:32 PM
painter works fine in leopard........ btw the 8 core are still over kill at this point because software does not use all the cores to it potential

Modo uses 8 cores nicely ... I want 8 core! give it to me.

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2008, 10:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.