PDA

View Full Version : Indigo Renderer v1.0 released

Sunstruck
04-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm pleased to announce that Indigo Renderer v1.0 stable has been released.

Indigo Renderer is a free photorealistic ray tracer. Indigo uses advanced techniques such as unbiased rendering and Metropolis Light Transfer to achieve highly realistic results, while remaining simple to use.

Indigo Renderer v1.0 stable is available in 32 bit and 64 bit builds for Windows and Linux.
Significant new features in v1.0 include

* New Camera tone mapping type
* IES light support
* Network rendering improvements
* Realistic camera aperture diffraction glare
* Region rendering, foreground alpha rendering
* Better filtering for higher image quality
* Improved materials
* fully functional 32 and 64 bit Linux builds

Download Indigo Renderer v1.0 stable here (http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=64&Itemid=98).

http://www.indigorenderer.com/montecarlo/whiteinteriors_367.jpg

http://www.indigorenderer.com/montecarlo/372_high_credit.jpg

ysvry
04-11-2008, 02:03 AM
those are great looking renders, untill now i used kerkythea as surplus renderer for blender ill download this one too. thx for the info.

Szos
04-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Suggestion:

Add a render-time (and possibly specs of the PC) to your image gallery.
Some of the images look OK, some look fantastic, but not if they took 23094823 hours to render. My opinion is that a renderer's speed is the most important thing, so knowing how long something took to render is very important when a new renderer comes out.

CornFielD
04-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Suggestion:

Add a render-time (and possibly specs of the PC) to your image gallery.
Some of the images look OK, some look fantastic, but not if they took 23094823 hours to render. My opinion is that a renderer's speed is the most important thing, so knowing how long something took to render is very important when a new renderer comes out.

It's not the purpose of the image gallery... Let's keep away "my vray is quicker than your noisy maxwell, nooh but my mr has aaall of the shaders" kind of discussion. Indigo is free and u can do cool images with it! Does it fit to your busines, or your personal use, u have to find out yourself anyways. badly setup scene renders long, no matter which renderer is in use.

-Juha Saarinen

hotknife
04-11-2008, 12:02 PM
It's not the purpose of the image gallery... Let's keep away "my vray is quicker than your noisy maxwell, nooh but my mr has aaall of the shaders" kind of discussion. Indigo is free and u can do cool images with it! Does it fit to your busines, or your personal use, u have to find out yourself anyways. badly setup scene renders long, no matter which renderer is in use.

Sorry but I disagree, a render time and spec for each image is valuable information when evaluating whether to even download and install a new renderer. I don't want to spend 1/2 day downloading, installing and testing just to discover I have to leave the machine overnight to see my first image. It doesn't have to come to "MR Vray this and that etc" it's free software and I don't think anybody would expect it to outperform these other apps. There are other free renderers out there, and the more information you get about each one upfront the more likely you are to get users trying it and therefore the more sucessful it will become.

Everybody appreciates the effort put into these projects and the fact that they are free so lets carry that theme through with some freedom of information :)

castroman
04-11-2008, 12:42 PM
as it is an unbiased renderer, the rendertimes will be high before you get a noise free image.
but I agree that posting render times wouldn't hurt if they are available, but make sure to post machine specs as well, listing rendertimes without machine spec is totally useless.
I asked a guy about rendertimes on his image which looked great for the short time it rendered, but when I heard that he used a renderfarm of 8 quad core machines, then the render time was quite long.

P_T
04-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Kia Ora.

Does Indigo support displacement maps from Zbrush/Mudbox? I can't seem to find any displacement info in the reference manual and wiki.

Thanks for this very capable renderer mate. It sure as hell beats paying $1000 or more for Maxwell. Some people have more time than they do money so choosing this over Maxwell really is a no brainer, even if it is slower than Maxwell.

Sunstruck
04-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi P_T,
Indigo doesn't support displacement mapping currently. The closest thing Indigo has is bump mapping.

vertigoz
06-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Hi P_T,
Indigo doesn't support displacement mapping currently. The closest thing Indigo has is bump mapping.

Well Indigo has just recently got displacement map... :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2008, 11:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.