PDA

View Full Version : help - disappearing smudge/eraser tools

girlart33
04-09-2008, 07:54 PM
I am having an issue with photoshop. It's an old version (photoshop 6) and I'm still learning the program, so perhaps the issue is due to my limited knowledge. Anyhow, I was using the smudge and eraser tools the other day and after changing the image from 3oodpi to 200dpi, I was no longer able to smudge or erase. I could select the tools, but could not "use" them. I can't see how this change would affect these tools so I checked to make sure the correct layer was active and not locked. There were no signs that I was prevented from using these tools - they just didn't affect the image at all. The brush tool worked fine though.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Is there something specific to these particular tools that would prevent me from using them at certain times - within certain layer set-ups? I have an old computer (about 10 years old), so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it - although I can't imagine that my computer has anything against these two tools and not the others.

I tried troubleshooting with the quickstart guide, but couldn't find anything. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Also, what is the best resolution to work in? It takes my computer about five minutes to save changes made to a 300 dpi image, should I stick to that anyway?

Thanks,
Rebecca - girlart33

dougoftheabaci
04-21-2008, 04:53 AM
To the issue of the disappearing tools, my guess would be the size might change for some reason. Check to see if the size or flow is very low. Otherwise it might be a Photoshop 6 bug. That was 5 versions ago, I came in at Photoshop 7 I'm afraid so I don't know of any program specific bugs.

As for resolution, if it's for screen 72ppi is the proper resolution. For print, you can get away with 150ppi if you have to, but it's generally frowned upon. 300ppi is what you really want to be working in. That being said, I've heard printers say they like images handed to them at 600ppi so they can scale it down in a way that best works for the system they use.

I hate it when other people say this in forums and such, but I really do believe you should consider an upgrade, both for Photoshop and for your computer. Unfortunately it'll probably have to be both as a new version of Photoshop will require a newer computer and I'm not sure Photoshop 6 can run on new machines.

girlart33
04-21-2008, 05:00 AM
Thank you dougoftheabcai,

I appreciate your help with Photoshop issues and sizing questions. I will definitely take your advice and upgrade. I've been considering it and just need to do some research and save some dough.

Anyhow, thanks again!

girlart33

CGTalk Moderation
04-21-2008, 05:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.