PDA

View Full Version : help with uv mapping in maya

chibisuke
04-09-2008, 03:19 PM
i want to do uv mapping in maya and i've been looking at different tutorials can i still don't quite understand it. i have tried doing what some of them but they don't work
when i tried a cylindrical mapping and i try to save it, it always has an error. it says i need to select a valid object, polygon, sub division surface or NURBS surface with UV's.

can one help me?
i can also post picures of what i'm trying to map too

Olympus1
04-09-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm assuming the error comes when you're trying to save out the Un snapshot. If so, I think you have to have the object selected when you press "OK".

MastaAzumarek
04-10-2008, 12:38 AM
can you be more specific as to what it is your trying to do?... Sounds like something Olympus1 said, which is the way to go... if not then we need specifics

chibisuke
04-10-2008, 05:20 PM
i do have my selected object selected but it still doesn't work. i've never done uv mapping before so i'm not sure how to map the gun and where to start

here is my model
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb5/camine-de-zeraphina/hades.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb5/camine-de-zeraphina/hades2.jpg

living_for_cg
04-10-2008, 07:14 PM
In your uv editor Right click on a Uv part and select uv . then select a vertex of that uv which will be shown in green point. now press crtl+right click and select to shell ,it will select all the vertex uvs of that part. now you have told the maya which part to snap shot and you wont see that error again.
Hope it helps.

chibisuke
04-11-2008, 03:54 PM
thank you

also, how do i tell what type of mapping i use for different parts. when would i use planer mapping

CKPinson
04-11-2008, 07:15 PM
planar mapping is good in a lot of ways- depends on your mesh, textures, other maps and skills. If I had a complete figure as one mesh but intended to use a very large texture or normal map for its face then I'd UV unwrap the head seperate from the body. I suggest you look into ROADKILL- it's a free unwrapping utility that is easy to use- you'd need the .obj export/import plug for maya (highend3d has it and others like area). you'd do a auto or whatever UV unwrap in Maya just to get the UVs created then export to Roadkill (there's a lot of ways to do this but this is easy to explain) then in Roadkill I typically activate selection by edges then sew all edges together then reselect the edges I want the character to be split at then hit the cut button and Roadkill with interactively laout your UVs while you tweak and cut.

chibisuke
04-11-2008, 09:46 PM
for the model that i have now, what would be a good way to map the different parts

CGTalk Moderation
04-11-2008, 09:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.