PDA

View Full Version : 3Dconnexion released new SpaceNavigator (3d input device)

Szos
04-09-2008, 03:32 PM
http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacenavigator.php

Starting at $59, 3Dconnexion has made powerful 3D navigation accessible and affordable for architects, artists, students and anyone else who wants to enjoy the 3D experience.

Ideal for Google Earth version 4 and Google SketchUp, 3Dconnexion's SpaceNavigator™ works with more than 100 of today's most popular and powerful 3D applications.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/images/3D-handweb_001.jpg SpaceNavigator is a virtual extension of you.

Pressure sensing technology allows the controller cap to become a virtual extension of you. Push, pull, twist or tilt the cap a fraction of inch to simultaneously pan, zoom and rotate 3D imagery. Increase pressure to go fast or decrease pressure to make intricate adjustments

Why use a SpaceNavigator instead of a mouse?

The key advantage of a SpaceNavigator over a mouse and keyboard is the ease of performing intricate adjustments to camera views and models with out repeatedly stopping to change directions, zoom, or rotate models. With a SpaceNavigator you can do all three at once.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/images/PZM.jpg

Compatible with over 100 popular 3D applications

SpaceNavigator works with entry level and professional 3D applications. Use it to drive 3D presentations using Adobe Reader or DWF Viewer; or use it to design products in Autodesk™ Inventor™ or Solidworks. Fly through rich 3D worlds like Google Earth, Nasa World Wind or Microsoft Virtual Earth. SpaceNavigator is compatible with over 100 popular 3D applications and we are adding new applications all the time!

Priced for Education and Personal Use

3Dconnexion offers two editions of the SpaceNavigator, SpaceNavigator SE (standard edition) and SpaceNavigator PE (personal edition). SpaceNavigator PE is priced at $59 (US$59) and is licensed for education or personal use. SpaceNavigator PE users get online support only through the 3Dconnexion forum. SpaceNavigator SE is priced at $99 (US$99) and comes with an unlimited use license appropriate for commercial purposes, as well as full phone, email and online support. Both products work exactly the same, come with a two-year warranty and are compatible with over 100 applications.

Follow the Wizard to Navigate in no time at all.

Never navigated in 3D before? No problem. The 3Dconnexion Configuration Wizard is an interactive tool that uses animation and imagery to guide you through controller cap movement and configuring your preferences. The Configuration Wizard also provides demonstration applications so you can practice or start using the device right away.

------------------------------------------

Wondering if anyone has any plans on getting one. I know they had an older model that looks similar, but this one is supposed to be much lighter (portable) and cheaper too.
I have the old-school 3DSpaceBall and it's OK, but this one is much cheaper, smaller and aimed for laptop users.

My biggest issue is I am wondering if it could be used instead of a mouse - like moving the pointer around and used as your main input device, and not just as a navigation tool in 3D apps. Anyone have experience with this model??

3DDave
04-09-2008, 05:33 PM
New one is not cheaper ($129).

I have a Space Nav PE and it is the right size and right weight for both desktop and laptop use.

kursad_pileksuz
04-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Can I use with any software like wacom tablet?

Srek
04-10-2008, 07:11 AM
No, the spacemouse is no mouse or tablet replacement, it needs own drivers and the application needs to support it directly.
Cheers
Björn

andyhalls123
04-10-2008, 11:02 AM
i think its quite costly and the beginers version looks no use. I am right?

Srek
04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Nope, on the contrary, at least in my opinion. I use the spacemouse daily and i simply love it, especialy for scene navigation it's the best thing i ever used.
Cheers
Björn

mustique
04-10-2008, 01:52 PM
I just found out that 3dconnexion is a Logitech company!

So why don't they get this thing onto their own keyboard?

This way I won't have to fight with the ever growing count of cables.

ajcgi
04-10-2008, 03:59 PM
I often toy with getting one of these. However I use so many keyboard shortcuts that juggling between this and the keyboard whilst concentrating on the mouse too could prove more hassle.

NanoGator
04-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Mmm... so does the PE one mean I can't use it for freelance work...?

swardson
04-10-2008, 05:10 PM
so with this thing I can only see it working for scene navigation. But if I have to switch between it and my mouse (for pushing verts, controls etc.) how is this better for my workflow when the mouse is already pretty fast for navigation?

Maybe that is because I am in Maya and not Bryce o_O.

Am I missing something here?

Brad

Srek
04-10-2008, 05:26 PM
swardson: The spacemouse gives you full 3D control without qualifier keys or whatever. Also you can use the mouse and the spacemouse in tandem for modelling.

mustique: Fixing a spacemouse to a keyboard would either render it unusable or would extend the keyboard a good deal. the device is not meant to be a mouse or trackpad replacement.

nanogator: not legaly

Cheers
Björn

swardson
04-10-2008, 05:43 PM
ah, so I would use the navigator with my left hand and mouse with my right. navigation independent of mouse leavinng mouse for just working.

interesting.

Brad

NanoGator
04-10-2008, 05:58 PM
It's not really something you need to keep your hand on all the time with. It creates a camera and the controller controls it much like moving through Quake. (as opposed to the 'Frame and Orbit' method most apps use.) I can tell you from personal experience it's great for environmental work, especially when showing off what you're doing.

CornFielD
04-11-2008, 10:07 AM
I probaply have to get one of these, to try it out... I always thought that those are completely useless and infact for some one who doesn't actually "work" with the 3d softwares.... but so much good feedback.

Szos
04-12-2008, 10:33 PM
No, the spacemouse is no mouse or tablet replacement, it needs own drivers and the application needs to support it directly.
Cheers
Björn

That is such a bummer - it looks like one of them IBM eraser-pointer thingies on steriods.... would have been cool if there was a way to switch it from 3D navigation, to 2D input device for general computing... then switch it back to 3D navigation when in MAX or other such program.

Also, seeing as how 3Dconnexion is owned by Logitec, I am disappointed that you can't buy these devices at normal stores that also sell Logitec products... like Staples, Best Buy and such. Would like to check one out in person before dropping money on one.

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2008, 10:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.