PDA

View Full Version : Pixar movies will be released in 3-D starting next year

RobertoOrtiz
04-09-2008, 01:36 PM
The Walt Disney Co. said Tuesday its Pixar animation studio will commit to 3-D by releasing all of its movies in the format beginning with "Up" next year.
Link (http://www.komotv.com/news/entertainment/17403354.html)

Rhs_CG
04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I hope they don't go exclusively 3d. I find stereoscopic films to be so destracting.

tuna
04-09-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm not a fan of the 3d stereoscopic versions of films, it's all a bit too gimmicky. But as long as they aren't purposely doing some distracting shit in order to get more "bang for the buck" out of the 3D version, then I don't really see it being a problem.

Kimotion
04-09-2008, 04:21 PM
I personally love 3D and apparently so do lots of kids and families. I think it's good that they are trying to improve the movie going experience and add value to them.

steveblake
04-09-2008, 06:13 PM
As stated it's really just a bit of a gimmick to get people back into cinemas - I find they're hugely impressive for the first 5-10 mins then the whole thing kind of diminishes as you get used to the 3D effect, the glasses becoming just an encumbrance by the end of the film.

The anti-piracy technicalities are probebly the strongest reason for studios making the switch.

Papa Lazarou
04-09-2008, 07:01 PM
The article also says they'll also be releasing 3d versions of Toy Story 1 & 2 in the lead up to Toy Story 3.

One wonders if this will be the process used to convert 2d films like Nightmare before Christmas, or if some scenes will be re-rendered.

cavekid
04-09-2008, 07:54 PM
I believe they are re-creating (re-rendering) the two Toy Stories using the original project files (I guess just canging out the camera for dual offset cameras or a purpose built 3d camera rig). Wish i could remember where i read the article, it talked about how small the storage space was for the elements/projects in the original Toy Story compared to todays Pixar efforts.

Papa Lazarou
04-09-2008, 08:13 PM
If they have all the original scene files, it should be possible, though it wouldn't surprise me if there's the occaisional 2d cheat that has to be redone.

If they're fully re-rendering it, I imagine there could be the temptation to 'pull a Lucas' and redo some parts with modern rendering techniques.

tuna
04-09-2008, 08:19 PM
If they have all the original scene files, it should be possible, though it wouldn't surprise me if there's the occaisional 2d cheat that has to be redone.

Yeah I was thinking about this. It must be a bit of a pain in the arse sometimes when working for this type of rendering, where you can't simply cheat around a problem, or you have to cheat on top of another cheat to get it working in 3D, or if you have to preview all of your animation with stupid glasses on to make sure it's working flawlessly in that extra dimension. Or it could be quite fun to work in that way, I've never tried :)

malducin
04-09-2008, 08:24 PM

If they're fully re-rendering it, I imagine there could be the temptation to 'pull a Lucas' and redo some parts with modern rendering techniques.

Even with the all the scene files it's still quite a bit of work. There was once an article or post that mentioned it would need some work because the original files might not go 100% smoothly into recent versions of PRMan. At the very list I would assume recompiling all the shaders and perhaps the textures. Also composing for stereoscopic 3D takes time, there were a few articles about Chicken Little 3D and Beowulf that mentioned the challenges of making a 3D stereo movie.

And as far as doing a 'pull a Lucas' Pixar has already done that with Knick Knack :-P.

Rhs_CG
04-09-2008, 09:55 PM
There may be issues loading the scene files, either to render in PRMan, or in other software Pixar has. I can't remember which article, but one that talked about the Woody/Buzz parts of the Superbowl commercial required that they find a really old computer that was laying around someone's office (one of the few that hadn't been thrown away), because the current versions of the software everyone was using wouldn't work with the models.

Papa Lazarou
04-09-2008, 10:26 PM
If they had to dig up old hardware, it'd be quite the tall order.

Article from 1995 on the renderfarm for Toy Story. (http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/1995-11/sunflash.951130.3411.xml)

Using one single-processor computer to render "Toy Story" would have taken 43 years of nonstop performance.
Each of the movie's more than 1,500 shots and 114,000 frames were rendered on the RenderFarm, a task that took 800,000 computer hours to produce the final cut. Each frame used up 300 megabytes of data -- the capacity of a good-sized PC hard disk -- and required from 2 to 13 hours for final processing.
I wonder how much faster they could render those same scenes with current hardware.

Titus
04-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Even with the all the scene files it's still quite a bit of work. There was once an article or post that mentioned it would need some work because the original files might not go 100% smoothly into recent versions of PRMan. At the very list I would assume recompiling all the shaders and perhaps the textures. Also composing for stereoscopic 3D takes time, there were a few articles about Chicken Little 3D and Beowulf that mentioned the challenges of making a 3D stereo movie.

There was a course at SIGRRAPH about the stereoscopy of Polar Express, they (ImageWorks) created the 3D version in five months. I'm confident it's not really an issue to create two versions of the same movie.

Abaddon
04-10-2008, 04:05 AM
Beowulf was very impressive and entertaining on Imax 3D. After seeing it that way, the idea of people snubbing it after they had only seen it on normal screens seemed a little silly, but I guess the majority of film goers will still see these 3D films 'flat screen' due to cheaper ticket prices.

Here however, with normal cinema tickets hitting $20 and Imax being $25, Im about to shun normal cinema all together as a rip off. :cry:

malducin
04-10-2008, 05:25 AM
There was a course at SIGRRAPH about the stereoscopy of Polar Express, they (ImageWorks) created the 3D version in five months. I'm confident it's not really an issue to create two versions of the same movie.

Yeah but it was not like just put a second camera in there and render away:

Chicken Little 3D (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HNN/is_10_20/ai_n15788864)
Meet the Robinson's 3D (http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_11448.html)

Although Beowulf was setup from the beginning to be stereo 3D, unlike Chicken Little and Nightmare Before Xmas which had to be repurposed.

I wonder how much faster they could render those same scenes with current hardware.

Well if you go by Moore's Law (doubling computing power about every 24 months), that would mean about 6 doublings, meaning something like 64x increase since 2005. That would mean it would only take them 12,500 computer hours now to render the whole movie (using the same number of procs), and a 13 hour frame would now finish in 12 min. Of courswe this is taking all out of my behind since it surely overlooks a lot of other details (disk & network latency, bigger RAM and cache, PRMan optimizations, bigger renderfarm, overhead) :-P.

Titus
04-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah but it was not like just put a second camera in there and render away:

Chicken Little 3D (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HNN/is_10_20/ai_n15788864)
Meet the Robinson's 3D (http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_11448.html)

Maybe in the upcoming movies Disney will plan better the production of both versions, less hassle.

jewalker
04-10-2008, 05:51 PM
I heard that Pixar has already re-rendered Toy Story and it took them a single weekend to do it (the actual rendering, not the preparation).

Papa Lazarou
04-10-2008, 10:04 PM
yeah, that's what I was wondering.

Would it be so disingenuous to spruce up some of the texturing and rendering for the 3d release? On the one hand the film remains a cultural and historical artifact, but on the other, I'd be curious to see how those same scenes could look with a bunch of additional raytracing and beauty passes etc.

They may have to do that to entice audiences into paying big cinema ticket money to see a film they already have on dvd.

jpiette
04-12-2008, 01:00 AM
You actually get used to the stereoscopic 3D rather quickly. I love it personally, it REALLY brings the film to life. Having sat through several stereo presentations, I can say the best way to experience it is to sit in the middle. The middle of the isle in the middle of the theater will yield the best results. Not to say that sitting anywhere else will make it bad, it's pretty good all around.

The first big test for it will be when DreamWorks' Monsters vs. Aliens comes out in 2009, since a lot of movie theaters are now converting their screens en masse to accomidate stereo.

Gentle Fury
04-14-2008, 01:31 AM
You actually get used to the stereoscopic 3D rather quickly. I love it personally, it REALLY brings the film to life. Having sat through several stereo presentations, I can say the best way to experience it is to sit in the middle. The middle of the isle in the middle of the theater will yield the best results. Not to say that sitting anywhere else will make it bad, it's pretty good all around.

The first big test for it will be when DreamWorks' Monsters vs. Aliens comes out in 2009, since a lot of movie theaters are now converting their screens en masse to accomidate stereo.

Don't forget Ice Age 3!

jpiette
04-14-2008, 03:50 AM
Don't forget Ice Age 3!
Ah, you're right! I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooo excited for that movie too, I'm such a big fan of the Ice Age movies. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2008, 03:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.