PDA

View Full Version : symetry issues

lakehaze
04-19-2002, 06:59 PM
I really hate posting two messages in a row, but i really need to get past this.

I have a 'spent' mesh (its been through alot) that just wont accept a symetry map.

Here is its history:
Modeled (No symetry Mapping)
Enveloped
Textured
Some assorted animaiton of the rig durring various testing periods done by ohter members of my team.
(And is now ready for the shape animation to be applied.)
The entire character model was duplicated, then the mesh was frozen, 'remove envelope'ed, and cut out of the character model.
-Animation, remove all animation types, from mesh.
and the texture was removed.
(Now we have an exact duplicate of the mesh on the rig for shape keys.)

I can apply a sym map and it lists it in its 'properties' rollout, but it just wont do it. Like its not a symetrical mesh. And yes, the SYM button is on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

lakehaze
04-19-2002, 07:06 PM
Just so you can rule out some things ive already tried...
Frozen at all periods of time, over and ov again.
Frozen the transformaitons
Centered to vertices
Fromen the center
Extracted all the poly's, thus creating a fresh identicle mesh, although the verts are renumbered and useless.
bypassing the symetry process by editing half the mesh and re-merging the halves, again, it renumbers the vertices.

The funny thing is, my old teacher fixed it once, it worked, in the same situation. But i just cant get the right mix of solutions...

dmonk
04-19-2002, 08:00 PM
Is your mesh's location directly on the right axis (yz,xy,xz)?

lakehaze
04-23-2002, 08:18 PM
As well as my limited experience tells me, i am as centered as i can get.

I did find one issue, the character is squirrel/gerbel-like, and its tail was corkscrewed, thus not symetrical. In fact it was knocking the center of to one side when i centered to verts. Well i fixed that and made sure that his center was indeed in the center and that the whole mesh was on 0,0,0. on the center of the grid.

select- everything but tail,
center to verts,
translate-0,0,0

I also tried deleting the tail and making sure the whole mesh was symetrical.

and still, no sym response.
I hope i understood your question right, if not, elaborate please. And any other suggestions would be helpful.

By the way, the old vertex cluster colors from the envelpe op will not go away. The go when i turn off clusters in the view options but they are technically still there. But all the clusters have been deleted...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.