PDA

View Full Version : StudentCompetition

JBrooksETSU
04-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Hey, this is my first time posting on here, but I am hoping to get some feedback on a poster I am doing for the Siggraph 2008 student poster design competion. I am doing this for a Advanced Photoshop class and we are required to post online to get feedback from people outside of our class. As you probably are aware of the theme is Evolve. The idea that I had is to show how graphics have evolved through the years, from the late eighties to recent years and on into how graphics could look in the future . The last one in the transition being completely photorealistic. All have done so far are the last two in the sequence but I was wanting to get feedback on whether or not my idea is coming across in my image and if it is not what I could do to improve it. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

Here is the link to the image ...

http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk151/JBrooksETSU/?action=view&current=Siggraphattempt1.jpg

Kinematics
04-10-2008, 05:23 AM
Hey JBrooks,

Well IMHO, I only understood your concept by reading you post and then staring at your image for awhile. The issue I feel is that 2004 and 2005 etc etc arent connected. If you just stack a bunch of you one after another behind each other...it'll just look like clones.

Why not make something more similar to the evolution cycle by Darwin that would connect better with the audience.
like left to right....you in prehistoric pose (kinda follow that typical layout so that the audience can see the EVOLVE idea behind it because they can draw a connection) and for each pose...you do the more significant steps in graphic designs over the years. from like Oil painting to low poly to highpoly to hyper real.

Have it small and in the center of the paper. Make it look more professional, right now it still looks like a student concept. (although I shouldnt be one to talk either :P ) anyway I hope you get what I mean...Im sorta lazy to sketch out the layout in my brain right now.

But think timeline with evolution just above that and you can number the years just below each stage. I think that would sell the "Evolve" concept alot more.

Cheers. Goodluck for your competition

JBrooksETSU
04-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Hey, thanks for your critique I really appreciate it. Here is a revised version of the poster. I have a lot more work done on it now so hopefully this will communicate my concept better. Here is the Link:

http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk151/JBrooksETSU/?action=view&current=SiggraphRedo21copy.jpg

Ransom
04-20-2008, 08:34 PM
It is a good concept but it looks amateurish with the photos you are using. Maybe try using just your face, or a photo from a different angle. The way the photo was taken it reminds of the "My Space" shot. I think the concept is strong and the photo should be reconsidered.

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2008, 08:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.