PDA

View Full Version : why does my ball go through walls when fast?

Tan
04-09-2008, 07:07 AM
I'm simulating a bouncing ball which is bouncing up and down, sandwiched between a ceiling and a floor, each wall with a "passive rigid body" added to them.

I also set the bounciness to "3".

So the ball starts bouncing faster and faster, and then all of a sudden it goes through as if the collision attributes lost its power, the faster the ball travels the more this is likely to happen.

How do I fix this?...

phildog
04-09-2008, 07:27 AM
Hi,
whats likely happening is the ball is moving too far at the frame where it collides with the wall. Maya does check for a collision thickness or tolerance but beyond this it assumes its not colliding with the wall.

so it might start far enough inside the box/wall but then next frame it jumps far enough out of the box to not be calculated.

there are a couple of things you could do.

one is to turn on oversampling in your solvers menu to 2 (and or set playback to 0.5)

the other is try and increase the collision tolerance or collision thickness of your passive rigid body (cant remember which one off the top of my head)

I'm simulating a bouncing ball which is bouncing up and down, sandwiched between a ceiling and a floor, each wall with a "passive rigid body" added to them.

I also set the bounciness to "3".

So the ball starts bouncing faster and faster, and then all of a sudden it goes through as if the collision attributes lost its power, the faster the ball travels the more this is likely to happen.

How do I fix this?...

Tan
04-09-2008, 08:02 AM
thanks for your help! It worked.

I brought the collision tolerance to "2", and that did the trick.

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2008, 08:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.