PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Vue

Bdude619
04-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Vue. I just started reading up on it and it seems like an awesome tool. Does anyone use it? Is it more of a Professional tool? Thanks guys love this forum.

-B

mordecaidesign
04-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Is it more of a Professional tool?

It's funny you should ask that. Most people regard Vue as a amatuerish software set that only hobbyists use. That is fast changing as more Matte Painters and VFX firms use it for backgrounds. Now that ILM is using it in their pipeline on various films it is the most well known software set for terrain and vegetation creation. Almost every matte painter that I have conversations with is now using it and it's certainly in my Applications folder. It's interface takes a while to learn but it's a big timesaver for alot of stuff.

Quadart
04-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I use Vue 6 Infinite alone or in combo with Cinema 4d (though not through Vue xStream currently) to create some environmental elements.I find it a very useful app.

nickmarshallvfx
04-09-2008, 09:57 PM
I think that Vue is a valuable tool when used correctly. I think renders straight out of vue still arent quite hitting the mark, but if you use vue as a tool to create seperate controllable elements that make up a matte painting, or use it as a base that you work on top of its a fantastic piece of kit. Great for things like trees swaying in the wind etc too i believe.

Nick

thundering1
04-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Vue works very well for vegetation and landscapes from a distance - up close the trees don't hold up - they LOOK 3D. Yes, you can import realistic texture maps, etc., but it's a matter of sparse flat planes making up rather large sections of branches. The solution is to make your own plants, or keep a bit of distance.

So, when you see Pirates of the Carribean II and III when they do a flyover of a tropical island, it's amazing - they don't go too close!

I've got Vue6 Infinite, and I love it - it imports a whole bunch of file formats (which I make in XSI and C4D and Max - no problems), and being able to "paint" where chunks of vegetation grows is really nice.

Hope this helps-
-Lew ;-)

timwarnock
04-12-2008, 03:20 AM
I've tinkered with it off and on over the past few years but have only bugun to really seriously use it in the past 6 months. It's great for qickly exploring lighting scenarios and composition. The ability to drive the population of your vegitation with a shadar is pretty slick. If you modify your terain you don't have to reposition anything. just hit populate in the shadar. Too cool. As every one is saying it makes a great base to get you 70% there.

everlite
04-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Yeh, never use it right out of the tin. Personally i love the intergration with Max, very seamless and lots of potential.

Terragens another one, haven't tried but some people say its pretty cool.

Dave.

Suirebit
04-12-2008, 11:43 AM
yes, vue is a very good base....and, if used correctly, even more than that...look at PotC.

Has a lot of cool features and animation control is not bad either.

However, I'm not so found of vue vegetation...even from a distance.

Drag-N
04-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Well... My thoughts on Vue.... First of all, look at Thomas Krahn's artwork (especially http://www.thomaskrahn.com/Galleryimage.Mayana.htm)... So, yes, in the right hands it can be great.
Also, I agree with those who opine that Vue plants look too 3D. Yes, that's true, but I also think that if you made your own plants, whether it is in Vue's own plant editor or software like XFrog, it can yield some wonderful results.

nickmarshallvfx
04-13-2008, 12:47 AM
Yea, glad you mentioned Terragen Dave, coz its a pretty cool package. I personally feel its harder to get results in Terragen than in Vue, but Terragen I found dead easy to learn, its really very simple. I think if Vur gets you 70% of the way there, Terragen gets you maybe 50% of the way there on average (only from my personal experience), but its really great for knocking out a quick compositing that you can paint over.

I should add that i havent yet tried Terragen 2, ive only ever used the old Terragen 1, so maybe it has become more powerful since i last used it.

Nick

Rockhoppermedia
04-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Try using bryce, then you will praise VUE. Integrating it into a matte seems quite good. Does it handle DoF so you can match it with a plate.

Rich

Kerem
04-13-2008, 10:12 PM
I think its a wonderful software. I'm using it since Vue D'esprit 4 and first time I noticed the Vue renders on Ryan Bliss' web site - digitalblasphemy.com

That software already proved itself on creation of documentaries, teasers and cinema industry. I myself professionally used it on David Arkenstone's videos. And my rig was an Athlon 64 3000+ with 2 gigs to design and a Pentium4 2.40 with 1 gigs to render.

My point is Vue maybe working slow with low end systems but works anyways (or in some way) and some results really look like high end if you know what you are doing with it.

I think it's a great tool for matte painting.

Bdude619
04-21-2008, 08:28 PM
hey guys,

i got vue 6 xStream and i cant figure out how to load it up with 3ds max. Anyone help with that?

CGTalk Moderation
04-21-2008, 08:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.