PDA

View Full Version : Character animation transfer from XSI to Maya using Crosswalk?

JRGauthier
04-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Hi there!
I was wondering if it's actually possible to transfert a scene with character aniamtion in it from XSI to Maya using crosswalk. I did somes test and best case, the set, the light, camera and materials seems to follow well enough and I see the bones moving but the Character in T-poses don't move. So only thing left to transfert is the moving character...hmm...I was thinking about caching the whole geometry, is there actually an option in crosswalk to do that...would be great...

I also read about point oven, which doesn't seem to be a free plug-in..is there any solution for this out of the box for XSI?

Thanks!

tc
04-09-2008, 01:52 AM
Point oven is included in XSI out of the box, you can read/write many different formats with it. Works great.

Kai Wolter has this great plugin too http://www.kai-wolter.com/resources/kp_pc_xsi
which makes XSI compatible with pretty much every point cache format available.

Don't know why your character is not moving though... it should.
Did you tried the other formats of Collada? FBX? Are you trying with the latest version of crosswalk?

JRGauthier
04-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks! I actually just found out that pointoven ships with XSI...unfortunetly it doesn't with Maya so I cannot import my shot....

I'll give a shot at Kai's point cahce tools instead...

Concerning Crosswalk, the version si 2.5.1...exporting in *.XSI 6.0 (text)...I have no clue what is the best format...can you give me a tip here?

It just seem to me that the envelop of the character don't follow through the conversion, because some parented object like teeth and eye still follow the animation..as I was saying the bones moves properly put since the character is not skinned anymore, it appears in an inanimated T-pose.

I also tryed FBX, the upper body of my characters become 90 degree bended and all character lose their materials. I'm not familiar with collada. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the infos, if you can give me any other pointers it would be greatly appreciated!

tc
04-09-2008, 09:34 PM
yeah the collada format is available for maya.
Give it a try exporting file>crosswalk>export to maya then you set crosswalk file type to Collada.

Try to play with the settings to, "Plot all deformations" always worked for me both ways.

ayway, with kai's point cache tool it should work.

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2008, 09:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.