PDA

View Full Version : HDRI lightening indoor

sander0105
05-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Hey all,

I'm playin a little bit with HDRI ligthening and MR...
Outdoor scene go pretty well by now, BUT now i've made a indoorscene (just a simple box with a whole in it, acting as a window) and i want to see how the room gets lit by HDRI lightening. Sow i placed a sphere outside the room and added a HDRI image to it...
The box i well lit from @ the outside, but when i place my cam. inside the box (where it should be ;) ) i get total darkness... not the effect that aspected... There should be at least a minor glitch of lightening... :annoyed:

Anyone got tips?

wgreenlee1
05-11-2003, 09:09 PM
I didnt have much luck at it either...
I just dont think there is enough info to get it to light the interiors....

I did have a certian bit of luck by applying the .hdr to a spot light...a gobo type effect
It came out wierd but I dont know what type of effect you are looking for and thought you might like to see it.

sander0105
05-11-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by wgreenlee1
I didnt have much luck at it either...
I just dont think there is enough info to get it to light the interiors....

I did have a certian bit of luck by applying the .hdr to a spot light...a gobo type effect
It came out wierd but I dont know what type of effect you are looking for and thought you might like to see it.

Looks pretty strange...
If the HDR image isn't strong enough to light the indoors, it should work when tuning up the colorbalance... right.. wel, it doesn't work for me :annoyed: seems like a strange problem.

I really hope someone has a solution :)

sander0105
05-11-2003, 09:56 PM
I've been thinking...:D There is one way to make to room lit, and that is by placing a light outdoors wich emits photons... sow the main reason why only a HDRImage isn't working is because there are no photons emitted... sow the solution can be found in creating a way that the hdrimage emits photons... right :curious:

(i hope i'm a little bit right :p )

Who can help me/us???

Greetz
Sander

(now i go to sleep... thinking makes me sleepy :rolleyes: )

Ozren
05-11-2003, 10:10 PM
If you have a dome for lightning, you cant lit the interior of anything. Another thing is HDRI doesent work with photons.

I dont have any idea on how to light the interior of someting with HDRI, but i think its not ment to be used that way, you have GI and FG to do that.

DesignDawg
05-12-2003, 09:28 AM
Make your dome with your HDRI image on the incandescence channel. Put a point light in the scene, 0 intensity. Turn on final gather. Adjust the value of the incandecence channel to over/under expose.

Ricky

wgreenlee1
05-12-2003, 09:51 AM
Oh..the incandescence channel....
I turned it up but it didnt do anything(without the HDR),I will try that channel.
Thanks for tip.:thumbsup:

sander0105
05-12-2003, 11:43 AM
I just tried it on the incandescence channel and tuned the color gain up to 10, but still no visible result....

Ozren
05-12-2003, 11:52 AM
HDRI is not ment to be used to light indoor scenes. I sugest you to use GI and FG. HDRI is used to light objects that are composed into HDRI picture, or some similar things.

sander0105
05-12-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Ozren
HDRI is not ment to be used to light indoor scenes. I sugest you to use GI and FG. HDRI is used to light objects that are composed into HDRI picture, or some similar things.

I know... but its would be the most realisitic way to lit ur indoor scenes, because of the "natural" effect of HDRI. That's why i'm searching for a way to make it work...

Ozren
05-12-2003, 01:31 PM
Hehe, that would be the easy way to light a indoor scene, tho not realistic. If you know how to use GI,FG you can light almost anything and it will look as realistic as HDRI.

You can light your room if you remove some walls, so if you plan to make some static picture, thats the only way.

There is another way, you can take some HDRI pic, and attach it to your light, but you will have a problem with reflactions, so you can take only a peace of that pic, where light is soposed to go in. Take a HDR and cut a window from it, attach it to your light and project it into a room to light it. That should make a realistic gobo effect if you use window HDRI and light your sceene realisticly.

If you try to do it that way, it wont be easy. Another tip is, if you want to do it the way i just described, and you want little fogy room so you can see window rays of light, you will need to put your penembura to a negative value like -5000.

I havent tryed this, but it should work.

Shannon
05-14-2003, 05:11 PM
Here's some indoor lighting, using the famous "kitchen.hdr" image.

http://www.filmic.net/images/rubiks002.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.