PDA

View Full Version : Rigid Body Dynamics in Fountation?!!

XeroWolf
04-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Ah it's missing!:sad:
Ok, after trying out the demo I finally bought myself a copy of XSI Foundation. So far I'm loving the animation and rigging tools. Now I realise that Foundation doesn't have some of the advanced features of Ess. & Adv. but the more I use it the more features I find are missing. Some of them I can live without for the time being but what am I supposed to do for ridid body physics? I find it odd that there's cloth and softbody dynamics (thankfully:bowdown: ) but no rigid. Is their way I can perform any kind of rigid body simulations in Fnd at all? A plugin maybe?

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

ThE_JacO
04-08-2008, 10:41 AM
cloth and SBD are there because they are old leftovers before XSI implemented syflex, so they have been left around as freebies. If RBD isn't there it isn't there, not many ways around it I'm afraid.
It's a version that costs 1/6 of the next version on the ladder, I don't think it's unreasonable in terms of feature list to be honest.

Helli
04-08-2008, 11:55 AM
You should have taken a look on this one:

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/pdf/XSI_6_x_ComparisonChart.pdf

XeroWolf
04-08-2008, 06:29 PM
You should have taken a look on this one:

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/pdf/XSI_6_x_ComparisonChart.pdf

Ah there it is.
Someone told be there was a comparison chart for the different versions but all the links I found were broken. I also could find any link to that pdf on the Softimage site.

I plan to eventually upgrade to Essentials sometime in the future so I though Foundation would sufficient for my needs in the mean time. I do want to sound like I'm complaining but the absence of RBD is kinda of a hard pill to swallow for me especially since I was so used to it being around in a free app such a Blender.
Ah well I guess it's still good a buy considering the other options.
Thanks guys.

nemac4
04-08-2008, 08:26 PM
RBDs are in ModTool though.

XeroWolf
04-08-2008, 11:22 PM
RBDs are in ModTool though.

That's something else that's been bugging me. Even ModTool which is free has features not included in Foundation. What gives?

ThE_JacO
04-09-2008, 12:50 AM
modtool is full featured because it's limited in the use you can make of it, and in its output.
Complaining about it would be like complaining about the educational version being equivalent to advance, sure, it is, but you can't produce commercial work with it. Foundation is something you get license to use any and every way you want.

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2008, 12:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.