PDA

View Full Version : Maya 5 Vector Renderer

Wigaru Wiyamoto
05-11-2003, 02:53 PM
Suprised I haven't seen any discussion about it yet.

Just a note, if you plan on using this for toonshading, and not for vector output, just use Maya Software or mental ray for the shading (ie ramp shader). Then render the outlines (turn off fill) with the vector renderer and composite later.

Obviously something like this is going to have restrictions, but it seems excessively so. Everything is controlled globally. Want object A to have a solid color with a green 5 pt. outline, and object B to have 4-tone shading with a 1 pt. black outline? You're out of luck, unless you render multiple times.

Oh well, at least Maya finally has a decent free method of getting outlines. If only the Tomcat Toonshader guy would reappear! :annoyed:

LifeInDeath
08-28-2003, 02:05 PM
I'm currently having the same problem with Tomcat. I need a free version of something that gives a beautiful chrisp outline and shadows. Like Futurama and theres nothing out there...I've tried using everything like tutorials and tons and tons of shaders...Then I tried vector rendering in Maya 5. That was the closest I got....I also tried to do mental ray rendering and being that I'm not skilled in that area, I didnt do so good..heh...But anyway, dont worry, I feel your pain..:P

zylphyr
08-28-2003, 03:55 PM
if i'm not mistaking there should be a freeware (an older) version of the Tomcat-toonshader on www.highend3d.com (check out http://www.toonshade.com/download.htm )

the full version produces good pictures & it is dirt cheap, so no worries. With the new oversampling option in Maya5 antialiasing isn't really that much of a problem anymore.

LifeInDeath
08-31-2003, 04:24 AM
Does the free version work with maya 5 by any chance? I tried using the demo version, but the fact that it puts letters across the rendered images doesnt help me out too much..:) Anyway, thanks so much for the replies..

Kabab
08-31-2003, 10:38 AM
Use the countour shading from mental ray it produces excellent results and is fast.

Have a look at alexx's post in the rendering section on how to use.

LifeInDeath
08-31-2003, 07:59 PM
I had checked out alexx's posts. I tried doing his little mental ray tutorial, but ever time I would render. I wouldnt get any outlines and the color inside of my character looked like tye dye...:\....I dont know what I'm doing wrong, but as far as I know mental ray looks really nice if you can get it to work..:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.