PDA

View Full Version : Dragon flying

StylizedReality
04-08-2008, 05:05 AM
I think the name pretty much explains it. It's a dragon (made of blocks...), he's flying. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Flying Dragon (http://www.veoh.com/videos/v6607735x3m7HfhX)

heyitsdave
04-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Hi,

It looks to me like it's off to a great start. The overall timing seems good and I like the push-off effect of the body as the wings come down. I also like the back edges of the wings where you have some overlap happening. A few things that catch my eye as possible areas to adjust/improve:

- It would be nice to add some counter-arc and overlap to the head and neck as his body is moving. They both seem a little stiff.

- I'm not sure the front hands/claws opening and closing the way they are is working - it almost seems like he's trying to grab something that isn't there. I would consider toning that down or going with a different approach... maybe allow the movement of the fingers to deviate more from the motion of the body.

Again, great start... look forward to seeing your next revision.

Cheers,

Dave

P.S. - I know many people use flash video for animation crits, but if you can manage to upload an mov or avi, it would be much easier to step through and loop the animation leading to better critiques. Just my $0.02.

StylizedReality
04-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I tried to incorporate it in to the final animation. It's hard to make the neck not that stiff without making it look floppy.
You can find the final here. (http://www.veoh.com/videos/v6813297wDCYTjtj%20)

StylizedReality
04-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Here's the final final version. I tweaked the arms a bit.
Dragon (http://www.veoh.com/videos/v68155875GgC9ENP)

Capel
04-10-2008, 11:51 PM
looks awesome. you may want to offset the arms by a frame or two on that last curl up that they do at the very end. looks like they're twinning. other than that this looks top notch. nice weight and overlap in the body and wings. good stuff.

where did you get this rig?

heyitsdave
04-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Great job, it looks terrific! I think the hands are much improved from the first version. I know what you mean about the possibility of the head looking floppy when introducing overlap, but it seems to me like you've achieved good looking results... well done. You could maybe tone it down by 10% or so (imo) but it certainly isn't necessary.

I also agree with Capel in regards to the twining. Again... looks very good. =)

Cheers,

Dave

StylizedReality
04-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Hey, thanks for the replies. I fixed the twinning but I haven't put a video up yet. The rig is mine, I put it together one day. This flying bit is part of a bigger animation, which I'll start posting when I have more to show.
Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2008, 12:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.