PDA

View Full Version : convert instanced geometry into rigid bodies?

popflier
04-07-2008, 08:05 PM
I've created an emitter that has instanced geometry that is releasing geometry up to a specific key frame. At that point the emitter is shut off and I no longer need it. I was just using the emitter to place the geometry where I needed it in the scene.

I've set the initial state, deleted the emitter, and now I need to have these instanced pieces of geometry become rigid bodies. I can't seem to figure out how to do this. I've tried selecting it a million ways and going to modify > convert > instance to geometry, but that didn't work. Can anyone tell me how I can convert this instanced geometry to rigid bodies? Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance!

rxgeez
04-07-2008, 10:14 PM
You actually can not convert a particle instancer to a rigid body. The work around is that you have to basically uninstance the geometry so that they are no longer a particle instancer but rather individual geometry. There are scripts on HighEnd that will do this. (http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/dynamics/duplicateParticleInstanceFinal-4752.html). I think this script will just uninstance the particles for the current frame...there are other scripts that will actually uninstance and key each piece based on the timeline.
Hope this helps

-k

popflier
04-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that couldn't be done. Seems like it should be a foundation that should be built within Maya. Then again, there are several things that I always think should have been built within Maya that are not. (i.e. deleting initial state)

The below script didn't work for me. I just decided to move forward with doing the sim in rigid bodies to begin with. It'll take a bit longer to calculate, but it will get me the end result I need. I figure I'll spend too many hours figuring out how to get this script to work for me in the time it would take to run the calculations.

Thanks very much for your insight!

CGTalk Moderation
04-08-2008, 05:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.