PDA

View Full Version : How much image-resolution do you usually use for matte painting?

Shozo
05-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Hallo everyone;)
Now I'm interested in matte painting. Then I wanna hear you. How much image-resolution(or size of images) do you usually use for matte painting?(Photoshop or other applications):shrug:

And if you know some good books or web-site for studying matte painting, please tell me?:)

Thank you.

o2rulez
05-11-2003, 10:52 PM
Don't know the answer to your question, but I can highly recommend www.matteworld.com for inspiration.

beej
05-12-2003, 09:58 AM
the only book ive seen is called the invisible art by mark cotta vaz. its pretty good but on the expensive side. not really a technical book though. check out the work of dusso, craig mullins & henrik holmberg. i think twice the final res is a good place to start in terms of size.

imothep85
05-12-2003, 10:28 PM
the real art of matte painting is not a cut and paste parts of photographic pictures.
fort create a matte you have only 3 choice, one, you paint all matte if you are talented artist, two, with some pictures in high rez, you cut and create a matte and correct it whit painting, trhee you can create your matte with basic 3d objects textured whith a correct light and retouch it in photoshop for finish your matte.
if you are talented, you can use theses trhees technics for creating you mattes in different resolutions.
the real art for create a good matte is a experienced eye for corrections, perspective, and lighting a virtual environement, the art of painting with a tablet :)

Shozo
05-12-2003, 11:09 PM
ĄThank you for your reply, o2rulez
Yes, I know matteworld where is the famous matte painting studio. Umm...but I could'nt find out my solutions...
But any way, thank you very much for your information. :thumbsup:

Shozo
05-12-2003, 11:35 PM
ĄThank you for your reply, beej
Once I've searched about the book "the invisible art" in Amazon.com before posting this thread. It seems very nice to me to study mattepaint, therefore what I want to know is technical knowledge. But the book is going to be a good text for me. So I'm planning to buy it. And yep! I'll check the work of dusso, craig mullins & henrik holmberg.

i think twice the final res is a good place to start in terms of size.
I've done that but... it still looked rough res to me... so I'm doing some experiments.

BTW, thank you very much for your information :beer:

Shozo
05-13-2003, 02:23 AM
ĄThank you for your reply, imothep85
You are a matte-painter! I want to hear much detail, so I'd like to email you. :)

Thank you very much.:thumbsup:

beaker
05-13-2003, 06:07 AM
www.goodbrush.com

imothep85
05-13-2003, 10:11 AM
oki if you want you send me a mails :p ;) ;) :d

Shozo
05-13-2003, 03:11 PM
ĄThank you for your reply, beaker
I saw the web-page. Wow:eek: it is awesome:surprised
That page is great reference of matte painting for me!

Thank you very much.:beer:

Shozo
05-13-2003, 03:16 PM
Many thanks for your kindness,imothep85:thumbsup:
I just sent you an email for you.:)

Thank you very much.:)

DSedov
05-16-2003, 04:39 AM
Hello!

I wrote a tutorial that partially discribes creation of mattepainting. You can check it out HERE (http://www.3dennis.com/tutorial1.htm)

As far as resolution goes - twice the size of a workable are is fine.

Shozo
05-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Hello! DSedov.

I saw your tutorial. It's very nice tutorial and matte!:eek:

Thank you!!

As far as resolution goes - twice the size of a workable are is fine.
I see, I use the size for my mattes.:beer:

Thank you very much.:)

Hugh
05-18-2003, 03:42 AM
Dennis: very nice tutorial - I saw it a while back when it was plugged on here, and we also plugged it on VFXTalk.com (http://www.vfxtalk.com)

Some great stuff in there!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.