PDA

View Full Version : scene with particles slow as molasses to open - why?

wizzackr
04-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi pros - I have a scene with 13 flow-curve objects and a couple of particles running along these. Nothing really heavy, at max perhaps 10000 particles on screen at any given time. It is snappy while I work on the file as well - just opening it up takes *forever*. Is there any way I can speed that up? I don't really get why this would take so long either, as I don't even have any data cached or something that would need to be read in... or have I (per default)?!?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

hkspowers
04-07-2008, 06:50 PM
You may have files cached and you don't even know it. Be sure to check the default project directory, Maya is horrible at remembering the current project that your working in and often reverts back to the default project for no apparent reason.

Secondly be sure that when you save your scene that none of your particles are on screen, or else it has to load all of those particle positions off of the bat. This can often take a bit to load. Also if you are saving as Maya ascii this usually takes a bit longer to read than Maya binary.

Just a few ideas off of the top of my head, hope this helps.

James

wizzackr
04-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks already, hkspowers, will give it a try.

CGTalk Moderation
04-08-2008, 10:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.