PDA

View Full Version : Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Michael Dashow

Pages : 1 [2]

LightSovereign
05-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Mike, that is just a solid illustration..It feels full. not lacking..the colours have been adjusted enough to remove any feeling of flatness..technically from narration to pixel pushing, one of your most successfull pieces yet..

what a bumper year for you, DM3 was bloody brilliant but you have yet still enough energy to surprise people..surely you must be frazzled by now :)..must be all those years doing game art eeh.

congratulations to you...I too feel you are among the creme of the crop in this contest aswell..Hats of to your consistancy..

Marley

Silvermyst
05-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Not really contributing here but just wanted to say another awesome job. I can't believe you managed to pull the hours just after finishing the DWIII piece as well. It's been inspiring watching the process!

Keep it up!

walrus
05-12-2008, 05:53 AM
I can't believe you managed to pull the hours just after finishing the DWIII piece as well.

...surely you must be frazzled by now...

Damn straight! I am exhausted! If it'd been any other Challenge topic, I ight have passed on it, but I'd be hard pressed to come up with a Challenge theme that suited me better. So I jammed through the DWIII as fast as I could (without skimping on quality) in order to get to this one as well. It's been quite a while since I've had sufficient sleep... And now that I'm deon, it's not 10pm yet and I am happily going to bed. Give me a week or two to catch up on my rest and then maybe I'll get back to work. (I still had more "Cataclysm" images I wanted to make.)

Anyhow, even better than putting in all that time is having something great to show for it afterwards and having other folks appreciate it. Thanks for all the kind words, everyone... Good night!

Rupy
05-12-2008, 07:43 AM
hey Michael,

I love your peice, amazing work, and love the colors, plus its really funny, good luck! although you don't need it, cheers :beer:

beelow
05-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Nice image! YOu've illustrated personality with those characters very nicely. Color pallete is nice choice to compensate for mood of the piece and incredible detail. I love clouds too. I can spend forever on them. Lets see if I can finish my image.

OKMER
05-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Told you already, love it!
Strong piece of work Michael!
Good luck and all the best to you!

Remko

vmulligan
05-12-2008, 11:06 PM
I laughed out loud when I saw this. It's terrific! Good job, and best of luck with the judging.

MartinNielsen
05-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Another great entry from you :cool: Good job :)

medunecer
05-13-2008, 09:04 AM
A masterpiece. Congratulations!

handlebar
05-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Congrats and nicely done. Good luck

Paul4wood
05-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Excellent! A very endearing bunch of characters superbly illustrated. A very professional looking piece. Congratulations on finishing and good luck in the voting.

:beer:

Neubius
05-13-2008, 01:06 PM
good work sir!

hope you have room for another award! ;)

A

chilombiano
05-13-2008, 01:20 PM
really good work man. so much detail but not yet overdone . very light and cute . good luck in the challenge
!

bkravi
05-14-2008, 06:53 AM
love it , very nice expressions.

u56237z
05-14-2008, 11:43 AM
ahahahaha I LOVE this work.. the expressions are perfect.. and the idea that the human is the real alien is great, at least in your work.. I also like the perspective.. imho, its a very good job :)

walrus
05-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks, everyone! I'm really happy with it too: Yesterday, I just got back a nice, large gicle print that I had made of this piece (and my last Challenge entry too, as I'm showing them both in an art show next week.) They came out looking really sharp. There's something very cool about finally seeing your work on nice paper, like it's finally a "real" painting! There's something so fun and powerful about having a real physical object, not just backlit electrons you can zoom in on. I highly recommend it, even if it's just printing out something small.

Anyhow, thank you everyone for the wonderful comments. Cheers!

-mike

Neubius
05-19-2008, 01:00 PM
i know what you mean, there's one in my portfolio i did for some one's birthday. I tried to make it as brush strokey as possible - and had it printed on to a canvas and stretched. the results were really satisfying :) A

RupertD
05-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Hey Walrus congrats on an amazing final image! :beer: As a matter of interest, did you supply a plain rgb file for that print, and did you have to do any colour adjustment on it? BTW my favourite detail in your painting is that flock of birds (well alien birds). Great finished piece and as before awesome workflow. :bowdown:

walrus
05-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Rupert - Thanks! My monitor at home is really well calibrated, so pretty much what I see on it is what I can expect to see in my prints (allowing for inherent differences between RGB and CMYK.) So no, I didn't need to do anything but send my printer the final flat RGB file.

Alwyn - I haven't ever tried printing on canvas yet. I prefer smooth and slightly rough papers - like watercolor. I don't feel like my work is brushy enough to work well on canvas! :)

Maxter
05-27-2008, 09:24 PM
hehehe, fantastic work Michael, very funny and cool. I like the nice environment and the very well detailed scene.

Congrats! :thumbsup:I really enjoyed it.

melkao
05-28-2008, 04:04 AM
jajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja
jajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja
jajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja:drool:

thats so funny...al the expresions are great...i cant`t belive that i was missing this one...i dicided to add you to my gallery for this challenge!:beer:

GonzaloGolpe
05-31-2008, 12:19 AM
Agree with the "jajajaj..." of my predecessor :D

I know it sounds repetive but Its a great work, very "walrus" of course :) and with great quality...

soo, as always, good luck and enjoy =)

morganvillette
06-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Nice work ! Excellent perspective!

olipoli1
06-10-2008, 05:45 PM
hehe this one is realy funy, he congratulations

nwiz25
06-13-2008, 09:30 AM
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :bounce:
CONGRATULATIONS are in order mike!! excellence category :scream: i knew you would win!! :p .. well deserved! :thumbsup:

MartinNielsen
06-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Congrats champ :thumbsup:

RupertD
06-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Congrats Michael - really super work and well deserved :beer:
All the best!
Rupert

yakonusuke
06-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Congrats , Michael! See you in the next Challenge ;)

BaronImpossible
06-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Yep, great work yet again & well done! :applause:

Jake
06-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Congratulations Mike, great job!

walrus
06-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks, everyone! I'm quite honored, thank you for your kind words!

KOryH
06-14-2008, 05:42 AM
Well, I guess this means I have to by that cintique with my own money now. he he.

Mike, great job I am glad your wife pushed you into this. It really suited you.
great finish as always.
We really should do lunch someday.

scala
06-14-2008, 06:16 AM
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Congratulations Michael it was a real pleasure to follow your wip and to see your work .

digitaldecoy
06-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Congratulations Michael! A very well deserved award for your inspirational work! Keep it up!

blasingraham
06-14-2008, 01:01 PM
I was sure that you were going to place - and I was right!

Congratulations and thanks again for your suggestions.

Hope to see you in the next one.

Take care,

Blas:bowdown:

jeromoo
06-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Congratulations, Mike! A well-deserved win! See you at the next challenge, mate! :)

artizakO
06-15-2008, 01:16 AM
congratulations!:thumbsup:

silenceimpaired
06-15-2008, 04:49 AM
congrats! I knew you would not be overlooked.

Thaldir
06-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Hooray, Mike! It was high time for some *more* recognition in CG Society!
...Goes to show that the wives are usually right, doesn't it? ;)

Heart-felt congratulations, and thank you for all your advice during the Challenge. :beer:

Neubius
06-16-2008, 10:35 AM
well doine sir :)

they're going to start calling this challenge the Michael award soon! hahaha

congrats.

A

OmeN2501
06-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Walrus my man! Congrats on well deserved award! I wonder If your son is big enough to understand how awesome hes daddy is ;] Hopefully Ill find some more time for next challenge, it would be fun to draw together again ;D

neudecker
06-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Congratulations Michael,
it was pure pleasure to follow your wip and the finals!:bounce:
I always told people in my envy that this would be my favourite and guessing it would win! ...Still loving it!
Be proud and wish you and your family a good time!
Cheers
Peter

walrus
06-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks, everyone! :)

I wonder If your son is big enough to understand how awesome hes daddy is

Of course Zachary thinks mommy and I are awesome. Doesn't have much of a clue about art yet, though (but he does like my watercolor paintings up on the walls of his room!) Yes, missed you this Challenge, Marek, hopefully next time around!

they're going to start calling this challenge the Michael award soon! hahaha

Well, let's see, of the last 7 Challenges, I've placed in two. That's not a very high average. I'm going to have to work a lot harder if I want any renaming to happen. (But then when that happens, they'll kick me out and make me a judge. That would be sad, I'd miss all you guys!) But thanks for the thought, Alwyn!

Well, I guess this means I have to by that cintique with my own money now. he he.

Well, so will I, Kory: No hardware was part of my prize package. But this Challenge has reminded me that I definitely need to go out and buy more RAM! :curious: Lunch some time would be great, 'though I never make it down to the Penninsula on weekdays. But if you happen to be up in SF...?

...Goes to show that the wives are usually right, doesn't it? ;)

Certainly in this case. My wife, while not an illustrator, also has a great eye and happens to give great crits on my WIPs! :love:Anyhow, great seeing you around for another Challenge!

And to everyone else: Thanks! Hopefully they'll keep letting me do these and I'll see you around the next time!

-mike

Dragneye
06-18-2008, 03:34 AM
Congrats. A very playful pic and well executed. Great work.

jonone
06-18-2008, 10:55 PM
grats walrus!:D

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2008, 10:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.